6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

new 06 owner....questions?please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 06:14 PM
michael62
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new 06 owner....questions?please help

Hey guys, I just bought my first diesel and am pretty nervous about it. The truck is an 06 with 50k. in beautiful shape. however, i asked the dealer if that was a tuner (b/c i didn't know) he said it was to help gas mileage...i found out it is an edge tuner...i said what about warranty? and he said that it doesnt void and verified with service and the gm of the dealer (bought it at a ford dealer) it also has a banks exhaust not turbo back, and an afe intake..and a procomp lift..the guy that owned it before was in his 50's...and it is just beautiful....i just want reliability and thats why every one was like get a diesel they last forever...so here i am...should i leave this tuner in??? i got this diesel to because when my dad passed away i inherited his 62 vette so i tow it to shows about 5-6 times a year and my dodge kept overheating....i got the truck for $27k...good deal? the oasis came back with nothing on it....engine has no leaks at all!!!! it is my daily driver as well......what do you guys think? and would it be smart to buy that ford esp warranty for a couple of years?

Old 01-23-2010, 06:36 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,731 Posts
When was the truck "originally" purchased? You may have a 5 yr / 60k powertrain warranty (I think that any 06 purchased after 7/14/06 has this extra warranty) - and that is in addition to your 5 yr / 100k engine warranty. The edge is known to be very hard on transmissions. I would seriously consider a Ford extended warranty since you do not know how the truck was maintained.

You should abolutely get rid of the edge. The AFE intake really isn't doing you any good either, but it should filter adequately.

The price seems pretty good, assuming the original owner took decent care of it.

Old 01-23-2010, 06:46 PM
michael62
New User
mark, thanks for the reply so quickly. you know i thought i made a good buy, but after being on here it sounds like maybe this wasnt such a good idea with this 6.0....but i am going to give it the benefit of the doubt. i guess the oasis shows that the original owner opted out of the 60,000 warranty according to the sales guy. what about the banks exhaust? also, is the edge always hard on the tranny or just when you really get on it, the reason i ask is that i take very good care of anything i own and dont abuse it...i've read some things on here and you seem very knowledgeable thanks for all you assistance as i am sure i will have a lot more questions....again all the cool little aftermarkets are nice but i want realiability.....thanks again mark

Old 01-23-2010, 06:52 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by michael62
mark, thanks for the reply so quickly. you know i thought i made a good buy, but after being on here it sounds like maybe this wasnt such a good idea with this 6.0....but i am going to give it the benefit of the doubt. i guess the oasis shows that the original owner opted out of the 60,000 warranty according to the sales guy. what about the banks exhaust? also, is the edge always hard on the tranny or just when you really get on it, the reason i ask is that i take very good care of anything i own and dont abuse it...i've read some things on here and you seem very knowledgeable thanks for all you assistance as i am sure i will have a lot more questions....again all the cool little aftermarkets are nice but i want realiability.....thanks again mark

The edge is hard on the tranny - period. I do know some folks running them that have not yet experienced problems, but many, many people have. So (again IMO), driving style will make a difference, but it is a matter of time.

The 5 yr / 60k warranty was complimentary if you bought it after 7/14/06. They offered it that way since the 2007 model years were going to include it as a standard feature. Nothing to "opt out of" if it was purchased after the date mentioned.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:03 PM
michael62
New User
Oh...good to know......does the edge tuner really help with gas mileage? I think I'll take your advice and appreciate your opinion.......do I just take it off and call it good.....any other suggestions to do......i.e., would it be wise to wait right until the 5yr/100k expires to purchase the extended warranty?

Old 01-23-2010, 07:14 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Others will have to tell you the best way to take the edge off.

I would start looking into the warranties right now. There are MANY options.

I forgot to mention that the exhaust should be fine.

Assuming a properly functioning engine, fuel economy is primarily related to driving style, wind conditions and towing / vehicle weight. Some people will claim mpg gains w/ a tuner, others say "no difference".

Old 01-23-2010, 07:28 PM
michael62
New User
i just noticed driving today using the edge was usually on 3 or was since i bought it and it got 17.5 in town and then changed it to 1 which is the mileage tune and it was getting 20.9 the same route driven.....also, i do a lot of stop and go traffic anything i should do with the egr as i have been reading about the intake sooting up, or should i just leave it alone since it is under warranty....do you know of any better warranties than the ford ecp one? if i am buggin you just let me know. sorry for so many questions..

Old 01-23-2010, 07:52 PM
2001400ex
Elder User
Personally, I would get a letter from the dealer stating you still have a warranty. There is plenty of stories on here of denied warranty claims.

Also I would tow with it and push it before you make a decision. If there is puking or othet signs of something wrong, then I would either get the extended warranty or fix the problems like I did. Mine drove great unloaded, it took a 8,000 pound trailer for me to realize I even had a problem. So I had the dealer clean the radiator, and repair the egr/oil cooler under warranty. Then I did my mods and am 100 times happier.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:09 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
I replaced the EGR valve at my own expense because there had been design upgrades. When I changed it, I cleaned the intake.

Get the most recent flash.

Use 5W40 oil and change it every 5k miles. Use only Motorcraft, Racor, or International filters.

Change fuel filters every 12k-15k miles (same advice on type of filter).

Flush and change the coolant every 50k miles.

Get a fuel pressure gauge. If you drop below 45 psig, then take it in.

Re-route the crankcase vent.

Use a quality fuel additive.

Wait 15 to 30 seconds on a cold start before driving.

Do not "romp" on it until everything is fully up to temperature (keep below 2k rpms).

Take very good care of your charging system. Individually load check each battery separately at least once per year (better to do it twice).

You are best off w/ the Ford extended warranties IMO - I have never read about any aftermarket that really delivered as advertised. Maybe there are some, but I have not heard of them.

Old 01-23-2010, 08:22 PM
rickatic
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Michael,

You have come to the best place for advice on your new truck. You are being coached by one of the most knowledgeable persons around on these trucks. Mark knows his 6.0 Superduty. Good luck with your new truck

Old 01-23-2010, 08:26 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The 5 yr / 60k warranty was complimentary if you bought it after 7/14/06.
hey mark do you have anything in writing on this. Ive searched and not been able to find it

Old 01-23-2010, 08:31 PM
michael62
New User
what is considered operating temps if you dont mind me asking? do you use a fuel additive every fill up, how much does that cost? Thanks guys for all your help...so these motors are pretty reliable as long as taken care of? i was reading about the head bolts fatiguing, is that mainly due to mods?

Old 01-23-2010, 09:05 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by cheezit
hey mark do you have anything in writing on this. Ive searched and not been able to find it
I had a Ford link, but it was changed to a secure server. I believe I copied it before it changed. I will post it when I find it.

I use fuel additive every fill up. It costs a couple of bucks per tank IIRC - you can look it up. I use Stanadyne (I buy it in 5 gal buckets). Many use Diesel Kleen.

Head bolts can fatigue even when stock. This is why I listed the recommendations that I did. You can fatigue the boltes w/ stuck turbo veins (hence the need for good/efficient combustion), w/ blown EGR coolers that come from the coolant side plugging in the oil cooler. You can also create engine stress on components by "flooring it" when cold. I usually wait for 5 - 10 minutes of driving. You really should get an engine coolant gauge (ECT) to decide for sure when you are warmed up (the stock gauge is basically an idiot light).

I think the VAST majority of these engines are reliable when taken care of. If you have problems, the folks here can help you get the truck repaired as cheaply as possible.

Oh yeah (I can not believe I forgot) - get a coolant filter!!!

Old 01-23-2010, 09:11 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by cheezit
Here is the verbiage:

5-year/60,000-mile powertrain limited warranty.*

This warranty provides coverage for the engine, transmission and more. It includes no deductibles for repairs, and the warranty is fully transferable to future owners at no cost. You will also receive complimentary roadside assistance for the entire warranty period, including towing, fuel-fill and lock-out services.

The 5-year/60,000-mile powertrain limited warranty is part of our commitment to deliver more standard safety equipment, more advanced technology, more value, more enjoyment, and most of all, more satisfaction from all our vehicles.

*F-Series (up to F-550) diesel engine warranty coverage is 5 years/100,000 miles. A 2006 Model Year Ford vehicle sold on or after July 14, 2006 will be covered by a complimentary 5year/60,000 Mile Ford ESP PowertrainCARE extended service contract with a $100 deductible. For 2007 Model Year Ford products the warranty is fully transferable with no deductible.

https://www.ford-esp.com/esp/media/2...E_Brochure.pdf

Edit - well it looks like the specifc link to the pdf document no longer works. I will keep looking for it because I know I downloaded it. I also got it documented on my OASIS report because my dealership kept insisting I did not have it. I will email you the pdf when I find it. OASIS report (under Extended Coverages) - "0994"

Old 01-23-2010, 09:18 PM
michael62
New User
thanks again mark! wheres the best prices on oil and the filters?

Quick Reply: new 06 owner....questions?please help