Pre-Power Stroke Diesel (7.3L IDI & 6.9L) Diesel Topics Only

brakes on 93 f350 and return lines

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 02:07 PM
chainsaw cowboy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brakes on 93 f350 and return lines

had frozen rear brake passenger side.. tore everything in the world out .. have since replaced rear brakes red neck engineered a few things .. but any replaced master cyl also.. bleed breaks all the way around plus the liitle junction box under neath drivers side... still brake eases to floor under pressure.. any body got an answer?

also replaced return lines on fuel... becasue had one cyl leaking bad.. replaced o rings, caps and return lines... the bad leak stopped but they still seep a little fuel if ran for 15 min or so is this norm or what can i do

any help on any of these two issues greatly appreciate.. this is my work truck and has been down due to this and weather..

Old 01-23-2010, 02:42 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The "little junction box" on the frame rail is the Rear Anti-lock Brake System module. It needs to be bled after the rear brakes and before the front.
If you have a new master cyl, no fluid leaks and have all the air out of the system you may have a faulty RABS module. It is easy to eliminate it as a possibility.
If you look at the RABS module you will see a large hex bung on the end of it. Unscrew the bung (under spring pressure all the way) and remove the spring inside the chamber (no fluid will come out). Replace the bung. Pump the brake pedal a few times and see if that fixes the sinking pedal. If it does then the module is bad. If not replace the spring and look else where for the problem.
As for the return lines the new caps should not leak at all. maybe some of the new O rings got nipped when installed.

Old 01-23-2010, 02:50 PM
chainsaw cowboy
New User
Thanks alot lazy k . so with the fuel lines there is nothing else it could be but the o rings causing the seeping?

Old 01-23-2010, 02:59 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Well the main hard injector lines can leak where the nut attaches them to the injector (cracked nut or pipe) or the injector itself can leak.
Clean the area well and look carefully for any leak.

Old 01-23-2010, 03:00 PM
chainsaw cowboy
New User
thanks lazy k so with the fuel lines it would have to be the o rings? with the brakes can i run the truck safely without the rabs module if it is it?

Old 01-23-2010, 03:23 PM
mechelement
Cargo Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Does your truck have drums? If so, did you adjust them out with the adjusting wheel?

Old 01-24-2010, 04:06 AM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by chainsaw cowboy
thanks lazy k so with the fuel lines it would have to be the o rings? with the brakes can i run the truck safely without the rabs module if it is it?
The RABS module can cause other problems as well and some guys just bypass it with a short length of hard line. In your case you can just leave the spring out if that solves the problem. All it means is that you will not have the anti-lock feature on the rear brakes which is not great anyway.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:56 AM
chainsaw cowboy
New User
yes but they could probably use some more.. the drum brake on the rear right is what i messed up during a bad snow storm a lady lost conrol of her car on slick roads was coming right at me i hit the ditch to avoid her ... when i finally got pulled out... got home i didn't think and set my emerg brake then we got bitterly cold temps .. week later tried to get the truck back to work... and back brakes frozen to drum ... tore the whole works out.. which started my lovely troubles