1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

THOUGHT EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW ;)

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 09:28 AM
glassman08
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation THOUGHT EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW ;)

I had emailed Ford inquiring about an extended version of the Ranger [4 door]

They told me they had quite a few similar requests ... basically they are going to discontinue the Ranger and bring back the F-100 with the 4 door option - probably be in production by end of 2011Let's hope they offer 2WD & 4WD

[similar to Dakota] ..... sounds good to me ... any thoughts???

glassman

Old 01-22-2010, 10:23 AM
michigan66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford already has a "4 door" version of the Ranger in the Exporer Sport-Trac. Why won't that do what you want?

As for me, I'd like to see Ford do some updating on the Ranger and continue that size vehicle. If I could get an extended cab Ranger with the 2.5 l. 4 cylinder engine and a manual transmission, I'd be as happy as a clam.

Old 01-22-2010, 10:48 AM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I also prefer the current Ranger size and footprint. I neither need nor want a larger pickup truck. If I did, I'd buy an F-Series.

Here's some more chat regarding the long-awaited F-100: 2011 F100 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 01-22-2010, 12:02 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
A Ford spokeshole thinks you should be happy with a Focus instead.

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/for...a/#more-342457

Old 01-22-2010, 01:15 PM
Danger_Dave
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
ford trucks have always reigned supreme and their sales compared to others have been insane for the last 31 years and have slapped all the others across the face with a french glove!
the dilemma all manufacturers are facing nowadays is that most people want a midsize truck. the toyota tacoma especially has been kicking them in the *****. same goes with cars and suv's. people want the best of both worlds. good fuel economy, nimble and easy to putt around in, yet be functional and capable of getting work done. i have seen a few concept drawings of the f100 and think it looks hideous. the f150 and ford ranger are some really great trucks, so if they are going to come up with a replacement then they sure better do their homework. i'm not so sure i like 4 door trucks because then that makes them have really small beds, and even with a bed extender bracket or just leaving the tailgate down its still a joke, may as well get a car if you need to tote a bunch of people around. and trucks with caps on them the owner shouldve just bought a van instead.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:11 PM
7283-F250
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I read on here or the Ranger board that the Ranger is done after the 2010 model and that Ford is going to push the F150. They say the new V6 F150 will get the same MPG as the current 4cyl Ranger (18city 24highway). We know the 4cyl Ranger can do better than 24 highway.

There is "talk" about a global Ranger or F100 due for 2012.

But again Ford said 2008 was the last model year of the Ranger and it's still here.

I don't think Ford knows what it wants to do in regards to the Ranger

Old 01-22-2010, 03:26 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
There will be a global Ranger, just not for the North American market. Ford, for some reason, wants to sell you either a big truck or small car.

Toyota also sells the HiLux, a real mini-truck, in the rest of the world. Even the Tacoma is not really "midsize" like the Dakota. Sit in a base model Tacoma and Ranger. They are about the same.

Jim

Old 01-22-2010, 05:15 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Toyota just likes to put those huge fender flares on the tacoma 4x4 to make it look larger, look at the 2wd tacoma........no bigger than a Ranger.

Old 01-24-2010, 03:30 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Talking

[quote=jimandmandy;8404824]

A Ford spokeshole thinks you should be happy with a Focus instead.

That's Funny

Rog

Old 01-26-2010, 12:26 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
"Today, a lot of customers who buy Rangers are the people who use it as a commuter vehicle," Derrick Kuzak, Ford's group vice president of product development, told PickupTrucks.com last week at the 2010 North American International Auto Show. "But with the new Ford Fiesta and Focus coming into the lineup, those kinds of customers will have other alternatives to the Ranger."
Ford has gotten a lot right lately, but that's gotta be one of the dumbest things I've ever heard come out of a Ford executive's mouth. To try and equate the majority of Ranger owners to nothing more than a bunch of wannabe Fiesta/Focus drivers comes across more as an insult than anything. It's certainly not a statement of reality.

Ford ought to just say "we developed our current business plan without giving so much as a passing thought to the Ranger, or any small-size pickup truck, for that matter. We would rather try to force current Ranger owners into buying a much larger, more expensive F-Series truck than spend any of our resources redesigning the current Ranger, or developing a new small-pickup platform."

Old 01-26-2010, 03:46 PM
ticker
Freshman User
Can't wait.

Hey guys, I'm just looking forward to when my 3.0 takes a dump.
I'm going to start looking into a 5.0 conversion. The joys of tearing it up
when you have another vehicle to get around in.

Old 01-26-2010, 03:50 PM
jimandmandy
Post Fiend
"...than spend any of our resources redesigning the current Ranger, or developing a new small-pickup platform."

Except that Ford spent the money and HAVE developed a new Ranger, just refuse to sell it here. Look at this Ford press release linked right here on FTE.

NEW FORD RANGER DEFINES TOUGH STYLE .: News

"Respected throughout more than 130 markets around the world, the new Ford Ranger effectively combines genuine durability and toughness with a new distinct and muscular exterior design."

Jim

Old 01-26-2010, 05:37 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The small truck is as firmly entrenched in the American car line up as the 4-door sedan........Ford will lose market share unless they keep the Ranger going.

Old 02-06-2010, 02:26 AM
Rory428
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, I bought my Ranger because I actually WANTED a small truck! Since I commute into Downtown Vancouver to work, about 50 miles round trip per day, I wanted a small truck with decent fuel economy, my 2010 2wd Ranger reg cab 2.3 5 speed fits the bill perfectly. It`s small enough to manuver thru city traffic, and easy to park. I work for a Toyota dealership, the Tacoma is longer and wider than the Ranger, has a larger 4 cyl. engine, plus it costs a fair bit more, and frankly, I hate the look of the Tacomas un-symetrical wheel well openings, and the plastic box floor. I think if Ford follows everybody else to a bigger "small" truck, like the Dakota,Canyon etc, it will bite them in the butt. My salesman told me that they sell almost as many Rangers as F series pickups, so there is obviously still a strong demand for the small Ranger. Funny how all the new car "experts" in magazines and newspapers say that older domestic vehicle designs are" outdated" or "looking long in the tooth", but if it`s an import, well then it`s a "timeless style", a "classic model", or an "ongoing refinement"! If it ain`t broke, AND it still sells well, why "fix" it?

Old 02-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Red2003XLT
Senior User
Originally Posted by michigan66
Ford already has a "4 door" version of the Ranger in the Exporer Sport-Trac. Why won't that do what you want?

As for me, I'd like to see Ford do some updating on the Ranger and continue that size vehicle. If I could get an extended cab Ranger with the 2.5 l. 4 cylinder engine and a manual transmission, I'd be as happy as a clam.
I've seen quite a few king cab Ranger with the 2.5 5sp on ebay(almost new even).

The downer is they're 2 door king cabs and not the rear hinged half doors.
Oh yeah they're also limited to the cheaper trims.

I'd like a fully dressed XLT

Quick Reply: THOUGHT EVERYONE SHOULD KNOW ;)