460 Horsepower Q's

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 01:33 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
460 Horsepower Q's

So what does a stock FUEL INJECTED 460 from an '88 F-350 have for horsepower/torque?
I heard it was around 230.. is that right?

Also heard that the cones in the intake restrict it, I could see that being true. Cutting those will give a few right?

Thinking of throwing on some shortyheaders, found on craigslist and managed to talk the guy down to $40 lol. Any idea on a gain over the stock manifolds?

The catalytic converter isn't on the truck anymore. Just straight pipes, is this a horsepower gain?
The smog pump is also not existant, it was removed and a shorter belt put on the engine. Its running a mechanical fan, but thinking of running electric.

And finally, what kind of gain could I see out of a cheap camshaft upgrade?

Thanks!

Old 01-16-2010, 03:52 AM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
The carb vershion was 225hp @4000rpm, 365 torque at 2800rpm. I think that headers would add about 15 or so to the hp

Old 01-16-2010, 07:30 AM
OldRacerGuy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Without putting my truck on a dyno I don't really have #s, but here is what I've tried so far. Single 3" catback exhaust (my truck already had this when I bought it, but a family member did this to an otherwise stock '96) feels like 20hp. A K&N FIPK felt like a 10hp loss when I took it off and went back to the stock airbox because of the noise. Electric fans felt like a 5hp loss or a 15hp loss when I dumped them depending on the fan clutch being locked up or not, the electrics didn't cool enough for a tow rig. I had a catalytic converter fail so I gutted it, that might have gained a couple of hp but mostly it just sounded loud and crappy. When I installed a new converter I don't think I lost anything over the gutted unit. Hedman smog legal headers are the best mod I've done so far, they feel like at least +40hp over the manifolds with no other changes and I've heard that the Banks or Thorley Tri-Ys are even better (just more $$). I've got a set of F3TE heads (rebuilt, ported and milled .025") and a custom cam waiting for install and I'm looking for a 3 1/2" or 4" catback setup (a stock diesel tailpipe is what I'd like to find..) to finish this thing off. I'll post results when the rest of the stuff is done.

I don't like a noisy truck, if your willing to live with the racket then the K&N FIPK is a good mod, and replacing the cat with a pipe might help also. I just don't want to listen to the noise when I've got the family in the truck and we are on vacation.

Old 01-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Not sure what i'll do for a filter, but i'm running a snorkle on it for four wheeling.
I also plan to run an electric fan on it and in a few months upgrade the cam.

Just looking for cheap horsepower.

Old 01-17-2010, 05:40 AM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
I switched over to elec fan's not long ago, I got a noticeable hp increase. I'm hoping that I don't have cooling problems this summer, fingers crossed

Old 01-18-2010, 11:10 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Oddly enough the only time I had cooling problems was in the snow lol. 4 low and full throttle. It was pretty deep snow. :P

Electric fans should help keep things clean, I don't need the fan flinging mud or water lol.

Old 01-19-2010, 07:39 AM
OldRacerGuy
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The problems I had with the electric fans were only in worst case conditions. Towing (a small load) in 100+ deg conditions up a steep hill where I gotta go almost wide open to hold second gear-35 mph. With the stock setup, I can pull it into first and hold 2800-3000 rpm and crawl up the hill, the fan clutch locks and everything stays cool. With the electric it's running at full speed and just doesn't move enough air when crawling. Something else I noticed in driving around town was that when the truck started getting hot I could hear the electrics spin up to max, and the temps would stop climbing and come back down very slowly. With the stock stuff, when it gets hot and the fan clutch locks up the temps come down right away. Usually the clutch is locked up for maybe 2 minutes before the truck is cooled off and the clutch unlocks.

Wow, thats a long answer to a short question.. Bottom line is electric fans are probably great if you don't tow. But don't throw the stock stuff away, you might need it someday.

Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 PM
Prozon
Postmaster
Well its my off-road truck, so minimal towing if any. Its too tall to tow a trailer, most i'll do is tow a buddy home that broke down on a trail lol.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:46 PM
Slip ford man
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by OldRacerGuy
The problems I had with the electric fans were only in worst case conditions. Towing (a small load) in 100+ deg conditions up a steep hill where I gotta go almost wide open to hold second gear-35 mph. With the stock setup, I can pull it into first and hold 2800-3000 rpm and crawl up the hill, the fan clutch locks and everything stays cool. With the electric it's running at full speed and just doesn't move enough air when crawling. Something else I noticed in driving around town was that when the truck started getting hot I could hear the electrics spin up to max, and the temps would stop climbing and come back down very slowly. With the stock stuff, when it gets hot and the fan clutch locks up the temps come down right away. Usually the clutch is locked up for maybe 2 minutes before the truck is cooled off and the clutch unlocks.

Wow, thats a long answer to a short question.. Bottom line is electric fans are probably great if you don't tow. But don't throw the stock stuff away, you might need it someday.

Interesting...I will be towing, but no hill's. I installed two 14 inch high RPM fan/s each having its own relay and thermostat. Hopefully it will handle the summer weather

Old 01-21-2010, 11:56 AM
Prozon
Postmaster
I hope that the electric fans will do me good. My fan shroud got busted up sometime during the engine swap, so i'm not running one right now. It worked fine for most stuff, but when I was bogged four low and moving a mile an hour, it overheated and the fan didn't do much to cool it.