1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

lost wrench maybe in motor plz help

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 04:03 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
lost wrench maybe in motor plz help

Sounds crazy but yeah, I lost the 5mm allen wrench I was using while taking off the aluminum oil return for the front injector on the drivers side. I can't find it anywhere and was wondering if it is possible to fall down in the motor through the pushrod hole? Looks like it is. See there I slipped on the wrench and took the light out too so I couldn't see where it went. I took the front rocker off and pushrod out and stuck a magnet in there, searched all I can with a light of course, just can't find it anywhere. Didn't want to stick the magnet too far in and pull out the lifter or something else to keep my streak of good luck going. Maybe its fallen amongst the engine accessories on the front of the motor, but I searched and can't find it. I have my turbo off now too so I stuck a magnet in the valley from there towards the front and everywhere else I could and can't find it.

My stress level is through the roof which doesn't help an ulcer at all. Am I going to have to pull the motor apart to look in there?? I'm just going nuts thinking about it. Does it do any good to pull the intake off and look in there? Doesn't look like it to me but I could be wrong.

Someone please lead me in the right direction if I have to pull it apart.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:25 AM
Copedawg
Lead Driver

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
That sounds frustrating as all get out! Did you hear it fall? or is it just missing? Is it possible it is in the frame, floor, pocket, cab or in another box or somewhere else?

Old 01-10-2010, 07:13 AM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I lose a tool I always do a clean up of the work area and put all the tools back where they belong and the missing tool always turns up, check your pocket too,,,,,,,,,, I bet it not in the motor ifn that happen you would have known it right at that instant

Old 01-10-2010, 07:25 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Going to search this morning again. The only three places it could be that I can think of is amongst the ac or ps, in the dreaded valley somewhere I can't see, or in the motor. Like I said I took out the light at the time the wrench slipped and know right where it "should" be.

WISH ME LUCK

Old 01-10-2010, 07:35 AM
Jaaaaaaackman
More Turbo
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is it a common L shaped wrench, if so take another one and see if it is possible to fit in to the space that you fear it fell,,,,,,,, I still think you and anyone else would have done a big
OH Shoooooooooootttttttt ifn that wrench dropped down a hole......

Old 01-10-2010, 07:47 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
The only place I can really tell it could have fallen in the motor is there is a slot below where the pushrod goes through inside the head a few inches. I am going to try and make a magnet small enough to go through that slot and try that.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:48 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stick that magnet down the push rod hole. The lifters have keepers on them that won't let it come out so fish around.

Old 01-10-2010, 08:58 AM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I hope it did not go down the hole. Check all around on the frame and on the oil cooler pipe.

Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
I had that happen to with a socker while i was doing it. It fell down the hole by the hood latch on the radiator support. I looked for hours trying ot find that thing.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:19 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Well I dug around this morning and didn't find anything yet. I even stuck a little but powerful magnet taped on a "snake" light down there and could see everything good. I saw no signs of the allen wrench. Keep in mind its fairly big, although it was a short one its is a 5mm which is good sized. I have another one of the same size and sat it over by there and just can't see how it could have gotten down there and disappeared.

There is no way it could have gotten past the lifters is there? Is there anywhere else it could have gone inside the head that I'd be missing?

Took about 15 minutes and pulled out glow plugs this morning (I'm sure glad that went easy for me) otherwise spent time looking inside head and all around for this @#$%^&* wrench with no luck yet.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:28 PM
triskadek
Senior User
Don't forget to keep looking elsewhere. Are you up to your knees in snow? Mud? The best case will be to find it where it isn't doing any harm other than to your mental health.

Old 01-10-2010, 12:42 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
No I'm in a nice heated shop. I'm heading back over there now to keep digging I guess. You're right on where I hope I find it. All I can think about is that damn allen wrench.

Old 01-10-2010, 04:10 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Well, after a few more hours, still nothing. Anybody know where to see some pics of the engine without the heads so I could relate what I'm looking at through small holes to a clear picture????

I just can't believe it's down in there anywhere or I would think I'd be able to see it or catch it with a magnet

Any more input on what I said in post 10??

Sorry to keep dragging this on but I'm stressed to the max and looking for any advice.

Thanks for your help so far

Old 01-11-2010, 12:45 AM
95_Dually
Post Fiend
Darin, I know you are concentrating on the wrench being inside the engine. All I can really say is look around real hard on the outside of the engine. Could it be in the Valley of Death? On top of the Transmission? Man, I know how much this sucks. I am feeling your pain.

Old 01-11-2010, 07:21 AM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Won't have too much time to look today, but I will a little.

The way my luck is going, I decided to send my injectors and the stage one DIY kit in to Jim and let do the upgrade on them. My time may be tight now that I may have to pull the head. DIY sounded like it could be kinda fun tearing into them and learning more but..................

Quick Reply: lost wrench maybe in motor plz help