1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Cheap or free mods

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 10:40 AM
IndySilverAnny
Senior User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Cheap or free mods

Thought this would be a pretty popular topic.
Post your cheap or free modifications you've done, or want to do.
For example upgrades with junkyard parts from newer trucks, or other vehicles. Hardware store upgrades, etc..

Gott's intake mod... I've done it, plus removed the silencer in the tube and noticed a little more power up higher in the rpm's. Also more noise at WOT.

Going to install another 12V outlet on the drivers side in the rear. Why they only put one in the passenger side, I'll never know.
Trying to figure out where to put cup holders in the rear of my supercrew where my kids in carseats can actually reach them.

Really would like to silence the seatbelt alarm... it's annoying having it dinging at me while I get the kids situated in the backseat while the truck is warming up, or while we're sitting and reading a map and I haven't buckled up yet.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:08 PM
papajoemrt
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The seatbelt alarm is disabled in my truck. My little brother did it for my dad before I got the truck. I'll have to find out how he did it. I think he just dug and dug until he found the dinger.

Could try removing your air silencer in the intake if you want. You will find that done on here if you want even more air intake noise. I've done the gott's with this.

Another of course is cranking the torsion bars, differing opinions on here but until i lose a ball joint i'm leaving mine up. just hope i'm not hauling a** on the interstate when that happens.

An air freshener to hang from your mirror because it is cliche. I had neon lights lighted up under the seats that matched the color of the truck, they broke when someone smashed the seat lever into it however. LED lights in the front most cup holder is a cool effect if you put a clear bottle of anything in there. The lights are cheap altogether. I removed my running boards to give the truck a higher appearance. They'll be on again in an attempt to persuade my rents to let me sell the truck (I need more mpg's).

Old 01-08-2010, 06:40 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
disconnect the two wire plug under drivers seat to kill the dinger. get the right plug, one is for the seat belt light...On F150 SCrew-- i have cranked the torsion bars to get another 1.5 inch lift- looks good. I bought new clear headlights off e-bay ($100) that look more like the Harley Davidson type. Also bought clear rear-- like the looks. I go more for the looks, the performance mods dont do much.

Old 01-08-2010, 06:49 PM
fishb8
Senior User
I did the clear lights and alteza tail lights off ebay too, also added a billet grill overlay for another 60 bucks off ebay. Got some chrome door edge strips at wally world for about 2-3 bucks each, chrome gas cap cover 10 - 12 bucks, and added some inexpensive ($25) fog lights to the lower valance. There are some pics under my profile.

Old 01-08-2010, 07:02 PM
highteckredneck
Senior User

how about this setup, got it all for about 100 bucks.

Old 01-08-2010, 10:52 PM
papajoemrt
Elder User
did you get the pillar pod and the guages for that much? or just the white face guages?

Old 01-09-2010, 12:29 AM
jkeduptrk
Freshman User
For you guys with the cranked up torsion bars. Look on Ebay or Summit for torsion keys. I got 2" of lift out of them, and kept the torsion angles the same so it won't kill ball joints or wear the tires out. It also allowed me to put 295/70/17" under there with no problems. Just a thought!

Old 01-09-2010, 01:28 AM
highteckredneck
Senior User
Originally Posted by papajoemrt
did you get the pillar pod and the guages for that much? or just the white face guages?
i got it all for that much. the pillar cost me 30 bucks from xtremedeiselperformance, the gauges cost 20 a peice form oreilys, and the gauge faceplate cost 30 bucks and i found it on ebay.

Old 01-09-2010, 08:57 AM
fordf150farmer
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i got a 97 extended cab 4x4 off road. i found a diamond plate tool box for 75, i got tie downs for an 02 for 30 with all the bolts and everything, i found a set of 02 fx4 17 inch wheels for 125.

mods i hope to do this next summer: figure out how to wire the fog lights to come on whenever i want, in addition how to make my fogs and brights work at the same time, a under the tailgate light bar (brakes, turns, and reverse), cab lights like the super duty has, a new head liner out of a new enough truck that has the temp/compas as well as the storage compartments, and somehow a driver side oh shi t handle.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Big Greenie
Temporarily Deactivated
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jkeduptrk
For you guys with the cranked up torsion bars. Look on Ebay or Summit for torsion keys. I got 2" of lift out of them, and kept the torsion angles the same so it won't kill ball joints or wear the tires out. It also allowed me to put 295/70/17" under there with no problems. Just a thought!
Did they send you a bottle of snake oil that gives 50 mpg to with those keys?

Fact is, if you lift the front end by cranking the stock keys or fitting the re-indexed versions, the results are exactly the same. The angles on your CV's change, you get very close to the end of the shocks travel, and you put more stress on balljoints. Those keys do not solve any of the negatives. The only way to get lift without the negatives is a new front cradle that lowers the diff, lower control arms, and replaces the spindle with a longer version.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:00 AM
papajoemrt
Elder User
I looked into the torsion bar keys before I cranked mine. I drew a conclusion, why spend 100 bucks or more on torsion keys that do the same thing as the stock ones on the truck?

I was also curious on how to make the fog lights come on whenever and to make them stay on with the hi-beams. The only solution I got is to hold the wiper controller back but they won't stay on on their own. I see so many trucks out there when it's just dusk out and they have only the stock fog lights on. I want to do that.

Old 01-09-2010, 10:26 AM
fordf150farmer
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
thats exactly what i want. what gave me the inspiration was the ranger i had before my 150. it had a switch that was just for fogs and when you turned on the parking lights they came on. i am curious as to how the light switch in these trucks (150) is made. because you pull it out to make the fogs come on. is there a way to make it so it can pull out in the parking light position? or would you have to wire in a separate toggle switch? i would think that by wireing in a separate switch that you could do it in a way that bypasses the high beam cut off. i have no way to know if this would work but it sounds good in my head and i would like to try to figure this out. especially the highbeam/foglight set up because i think it would improve visibility greatly.

Old 01-09-2010, 05:16 PM
fishb8
Senior User
There is a mod you can do to the switch so the fogs come on w/high beam, just search for it, there was a post that had pictures along with step by step instructions. I have factory fogs in the valance along with some that I added into the slots on the valance. I just rewired the factory fogs to the added ones and put a toggle switch onto my dash beside the headlight switch. When I flip the switch all 4 fogs come on. I was also thinking about adding a pair of Hella's behind the grill.

Old 01-09-2010, 07:56 PM
culater
New User
Here's a link for the headlight switch mod
How to modify the Headlight Switch to allow Fog Lamps to come on with Parking lights and Autolamps

Removing door molding is a free mod that makes a big difference in the trucks appearance.

Old 01-09-2010, 09:20 PM
muddyford911
Senior User
i just did the fog light mod on my truck. it wasnt hard at all. takes about 20 mins. i dont have high beams because of my HID's. but they stay on as long as my parking lights are on.

Quick Reply: Cheap or free mods