Sponsored by: DP Tuner

2010 Emissions testing

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 03:19 PM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 Emissions testing

So if I am reading this right the states eventually will be requiring a emission test on diesels. I haven't had a state inspection in over 5 years, I just have to get a federal inspection. The federal inspections seem to be alot easier to pass and you can do them yourself if you have the right paperwork in line. I have had limo black tin ever since I got my truck and the one time I had an issue was when I got a state inspection the first year I had it. Get my drift....?

Old 01-07-2010, 05:55 PM
FTrucker
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
You know what I never thought of emissions when I got my first Diesel (well that one is from the '60's and I know I dont have to test that one, thank God) But this one I didnt consider it, I'm getting raked over the coal's once again for my 2001 P71, jags! Coming down to it, because of them I reregistered my '79 through a friend so I didnt have to get rid of the car.

Anyway I hope this newe truck dont have to go here in Illinois, especially w/ that DP tuner! I'm sure they wont like that!

FTrucker

Old 01-07-2010, 05:57 PM
guitarpicr
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Daniel- I was thinking our trucks would be grand fathered as they are older trucks, but don't know for sure. Keep us informed

Old 01-07-2010, 06:02 PM
bigsteve1969
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
the way they'll probably do it is if you have a 2001 7.3 diesel you'll have to show everything thing emmission required for THAT year is intact on the truck. they cant make you put a dpf system on that motor because it wasn't built to meet those specifications. what the tree huggers will try and do is make everyone pay "dollars for dirty diesels" or somethin else stupid they want it to be nicknamed.

Old 01-07-2010, 06:07 PM
FTrucker
Senior User
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bigsteve1969
what the tree huggers will try and do is make everyone pay "dollars for dirty diesels" or somethin else stupid they want it to be nicknamed.

It will be called "Man Made Dirty Diesel Disasters!"

FTrucker

Old 01-07-2010, 06:36 PM
jcrammell
Senior User

Here in Tucson, AZ we have to go through state emissions every year. I asked the guy if he has ever had a diesel fail emissions. he said no, you would have to have a terrible running diesel to fail emissions. He said that it is really hard for diesels to fail. Not sure if he was telling the truth or not but that is what he told me. Just my .02.

Old 01-07-2010, 07:09 PM
clux
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What's emissions testing?

Old 01-07-2010, 08:03 PM
firedewd
Mountain Pass
Colorado makes us do a yearly dyno opacity test on light and heavy diesel trucks. Can cost you anywhere between $45 and $100 bucks depending on the testing station you choose. New trucks exempt for 4 years.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by clux
What's emissions testing?
Fancy words for another tax.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:09 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FTrucker
You know what I never thought of emissions when I got my first Diesel (well that one is from the '60's and I know I dont have to test that one, thank God) But this one I didnt consider it, I'm getting raked over the coal's once again for my 2001 P71, jags! Coming down to it, because of them I reregistered my '79 through a friend so I didnt have to get rid of the car.

Anyway I hope this newe truck dont have to go here in Illinois, especially w/ that DP tuner! I'm sure they wont like that!

FTrucker
I have a DP Tuner and get a state emissions test every year here in Colorado. Just put it in stock setting and it's all good.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:19 PM
togobefastguy
Senior User

what is a dyno opacity test?

Originally Posted by firedewd
Colorado makes us do a yearly dyno opacity test on light and heavy diesel trucks. Can cost you anywhere between $45 and $100 bucks depending on the testing station you choose. New trucks exempt for 4 years.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:25 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by togobefastguy
what is a dyno opacity test?
Simply put, they stick it on a dyno with a sniffer tube up the tailpipe, rev the b'jesus out of your truck and look for smoke. Crude but that how they sniff for emissions.

Old 01-07-2010, 10:27 PM
firedewd
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Ponyboychris
Simply put, they stick it on a dyno with a sniffer tube up the tailpipe, rev the b'jesus out of your truck and look for smoke. Crude but that how they sniff for emissions.

Couldn't have said it any better!!!!

Old 01-07-2010, 10:43 PM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 799 Likes on 610 Posts
It's called the throttle snap test.
What they are looking for is the black puff of smoke that happens when you jab the throttle.
Stock engines in good shape with a good air cleaner will pass with flying colors.
Big injectors will give a lot of smoke and they may not pass you.
Another thing to consider is here in Washington they have a price limit of $150.00 dollars spent repairing the vehicle to spec so that it will pass the test.
However, if the engine has been modified from stock, the waiver does not apply and there is no limit on cost getting the engine repaired so that it will pass.
If you have hybrid (smoky) injectors and you cannot get it to pass with tuning, then you have to pull the injectors out and restore the nozzles to stock so that you can get the truck to pass the test.
The flip side to that coin is the test operator has to be savvy enough to suspect the big injectors.
Most of them are "monkey push button", so just make sure that it is tuned for no smoke and you'll be good.

Old 01-07-2010, 11:16 PM
big poppa
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Diesel exempt here, gassers get inspections and emisions at the tune of 72.00-100.00 a year. Speaking of another tax, Pa. has been weighting in a mileage driven tax, they been mentioning it for about 4 years now. On top of all the state and federal tax at the pump, they want to tax you per mile driven in a year. People like me driving an average of a 100 miles per day to get to work will pay the heaviest price, it never stops.

Quick Reply: 2010 Emissions testing