2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catalytic Converter Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 10:47 AM
kgallagher
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Catalytic Converter Problems

I live in a state where there are no emissions testing, can i eliminate the catalytic converters in my 2006 F 150 5.4 ?

Old 12-27-2009, 03:54 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
Just because your state's safety inspection doesn't require emissions testing, doesn't mean you can legally remove emission control devices. Your state's safety inspection may include visual inspection to verify certain devices, such as Cat's, are in place. Heck, some states have been pushing to make after market cat back performance exhaust illegal.

Hope this helps.

Old 12-27-2009, 08:43 AM
kgallagher
New User
Well here is the problem, i changed my plugs my self on my 2006 F 150 5.4 1 of the plugs snapped off in the head, i ended up taking to Ford dealership and they got the broken one out. My truck was still runnoing rough and they advised the pass side cat was no good and was the source of the problem. I want to see if that is in fact the issue by bypassing the cat. I don't want to spend the money on the cat if that is not the problem. Any suggestions. Not much money to spend but have a trruck that i depend on for work and need the cheapest fix available.

Old 12-27-2009, 10:40 AM
iilijah
Junior User
loosing the cats will only compound your problems. you will throw a ton more codes. the cats are a nessary evil, that the vehicals cant run without. But feel free to remove them and find out. all cars today are made to run with them are removing them will take the vehical out of its element.

Old 12-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
And....if you did get them off.....its a federal offense to remove them.....i'd rather fail the state inspection...

Old 12-27-2009, 07:13 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You probably have other issues if it's still running rough. I'd start with a code scan and go from there.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:28 AM
kgallagher
New User
Well, i got the code scan and it is reading P0420, "Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold Bank 1", any suggestions ?

Old 01-27-2010, 07:16 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Your dealer saw that same code and just thinks it's easier to replace the cat ($$$) then to actually diagnose the problem. Cat rarely go bad without being caused by an upstream problem...like a stuck injector.

Were there any other codes? Was the P0420 a pending code? Why did you replace the plugs to begin with?

If the cat is truly bad you will get bad hesitation upon heavy acceleration. You might also hear a loud clattering noise like marbles in a can with the hesitation.

I just went through this with my Wife's 5.4L Expedition. They changed both cats, then I changed the plugs...still cat problems on bank 2. Turns out an injector was stuck. So, turns out one stuck injector caused them to have to replace the cat twice.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:41 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
I would lean towards an injector problem on that bank as well. I'd get the problem diagnosed and corrected before I threw a set of cats on.

Old 01-28-2010, 06:21 AM
kgallagher
New User
Thanks guys, i actually brought my truck to a friends shop that gave me honest advice. Turns out when i changed the plugs it fixed the upstream problem. The cat is however no good on bank 1. The symptoms you described are dead on " bridge". I am getting the cat changed this weekend. My mech / friend seems to think that this will solve the problems. He has the complete scanning capabilities and did not get any other readings. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:31 AM
DMAC66
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not seeing how the plug change could be the only problem upstream of a failed cat. I don't doubt that the cat is bad and needs to be replaced but I agree with others here that a rich condition likely led to the failure and, swapping the plugs and replacing the cat will not correct the rich condition. I would still focus attention on the injectors so the new cat does not fail prematurely.

Old 01-28-2010, 10:05 AM
kgallagher
New User
Well, i am going to pick up my truck this afternoon, new cat installed, then take back to scanner & see if there is any codes. Is it possible that the computer is not picking up a stuck injector or bad coil pack ?

Old 01-28-2010, 05:53 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by DMAC66
I'm not seeing how the plug change could be the only problem upstream of a failed cat. I don't doubt that the cat is bad and needs to be replaced but I agree with others here that a rich condition likely led to the failure and, swapping the plugs and replacing the cat will not correct the rich condition. I would still focus attention on the injectors so the new cat does not fail prematurely.
If plugs are bad and foul, unburnt gas goes straight to the cat and breaks up the catalyst. However, I would strongly suggest changing the injectors as well. You can get a full set for $150 online.

Old 01-28-2010, 09:00 PM
Greg B
Postmaster
1 bad injector may not show up in a scan. If it does it'll be an air fuel thing. There is a balance test and a couple of other things that can test injectors outlined in the Powertrain and Emissions manual. Most people don't have the capability to check this out at home, but a competent shop can. I would get the injectors tested asap before another cat goes bad.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:34 AM
kgallagher
New User
Will do thanks for the advice. How much work is it to change the injectors, and how much do they cost ? Would it be worth it to just have bank 1 injectors changed. I have 90,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Problems