1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Walker's 66 Ford F100 Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:14 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys - I didn't mean to sound like I thought it was all easy-street, 'cause rust is never "easy", but you're right, I've had a fair bit of experience, growing up in my Dads' shop, managing others, then doing it as a hobby since then (check my web site!)

If any of you have pics of a thread to your work, I'd LOVE to see them. kstone, I peaked at your links - looks like you did a lot of custom work on your 63...any more pics? Would love to see the tailgate work you're describing!

The owner was supposed to show up last week, but didn't, so hopefully he comes by Monday and we can get a sight-line on finishing up the cab - stay tuned!

Old 01-03-2010, 06:49 PM
dman2008
Posting Guru

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I checked your website very cool!

If any of you have pics of a thread to your work, I'd LOVE to see them.

Here is a link to my Flickr page enjoy. I am excited abpout my back pan as well.

Flickr: dman642008's Photostream

D

Old 01-03-2010, 07:21 PM
yamaweezle
Senior User
Originally Posted by dman2008
I checked your website very cool!

If any of you have pics of a thread to your work, I'd LOVE to see them.

Here is a link to my Flickr page enjoy. I am excited abpout my back pan as well.

Flickr: dman642008's Photostream

D
Incredible dman!!! Can't wait to see the truck with some color, not that it doesn't already look awesome...

Old 01-03-2010, 08:39 PM
es2rider
Junior User
Floor Pan repair

Wow, big job but lookin good.
I just finished my floor pans, lower cab corners and new cab mounts, just like yours, just not as bad.
My truck had acorns and sunflower seeds stuffed in the front lower cab corners, just a more natural type of insulation I guess.
The truck is at the paint shop in several pieces right now.
I was having bad flashbacks looking at this post.
I see a Datsun 240Z in the background. I finished mine last year. Same thing as my truck. Floor pans and front corners. Replacing the floors on my 65 F100 reminded me of working on that Z, but with a lot thicker metal...
When my truck is done, the Z is gone...

My other Inline Six

Old 01-03-2010, 09:47 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Originally Posted by es2rider
Wow, big job but lookin good.
I just finished my floor pans, lower cab corners and new cab mounts, just like yours, just not as bad.
My truck had acorns and sunflower seeds stuffed in the front lower cab corners, just a more natural type of insulation I guess.
The truck is at the paint shop in several pieces right now.
I was having bad flashbacks looking at this post.
Flashbacks - FUNNY!!!

I see a Datsun 240Z in the background. I finished mine last year. Same thing as my truck. Floor pans and front corners. Replacing the floors on my 65 F100 reminded me of working on that Z, but with a lot thicker metal...
When my truck is done, the Z is gone...
I LOVE your 240!!

The Ford F100 is someone elses, but the 240Z is mine. It was originally the parts car for a race 240Z I built for my wife. After selling the racer, I decided to take the parts car back to it's former glory. It was very good mechanically, but needs floors like yours did. Here's the build (start) at ClassicZ.com E-tek RACING '71 Parts Car Resto - Classic Zcar Club I hope to get back to it later this year....

Old 01-03-2010, 10:33 PM
66gpw
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Love the Rotisierre in the one pic. Too bad about the rust on the floor pan of the Z. It looks like a frame rail needs to be replaced also.

Old 01-03-2010, 11:54 PM
sbfishman
Freshman User
Nice work e-tek. Too bad you are not in Oregon I would pay you a visit, I need someone with your skills to work on my truck.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:29 AM
Schuyles
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Bill W
Kevin, I bet you make tile work look just as easy as e-tek is making his fab work look easy and as easy as i make painting a home look, the mark of a true professional.... making it look easy. are you giong to butt weld the patch panels or lap them
what if you don't make anything look easy?? dang.

etek- I really enjoy this thread and admire your work. I love how you are doing it with the attitude of "the customer is always right" even if it might be easier another way.

Good luck this week.

Old 01-04-2010, 05:44 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Today I dove in and got the centre support welded in, plus a patch for the floor over it. Also sprayed weld-through primer on the pieces for the front corner so I can trim and weld them up tomorrow. They had been soaking in Metal Prep since last week.

What was lurking inside the support...

Trail fits...

Plug welded the support from above...then welded each end from below...

Sorry about the blurry photo's....I'll get some better ones tomorrow when I dress the welds and apply POR 15 to the rust. Thanks for looking!

Old 01-04-2010, 08:16 PM
66f-100
Elder User
Originally Posted by e-tek
Today's progress: started metal-finishing tailgate. Applied etch primer. Just needs a skim of metal-filler (not BONDO!). Also cut out rust and made pieces for inner kick-panel. I'll spend tomorrow fitting it all together and applying POR15 to the inners, then will start tack-welding it on Monday - stay tuned!
I'm curious about this metal filler. What exactly do you use?

Thanks,

Mark

Old 01-04-2010, 10:08 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Originally Posted by 66f-100
I'm curious about this metal filler. What exactly do you use?

Thanks,

Mark
Hey Mark,
I meant "All Metal" body filler. It's moisture-resistant and - I think - stronger than polyester filler. It uses aluminum instead. Nothing really wrong with polyester filler (aka "Bondo"), but I feel Metal filler is better for restorations over (treated) rust and when building (welding) parts.

Here's a link to the brand I use, from TP tools: USC All Metal Body Filler - TP Tools & Equipment

Hope that helps!

Old 01-05-2010, 06:56 PM
carras
Tuned
wouldn't the dissimilar metals (aluminum/steel) cause galvanic action and prematurely rust? I think that you mentioned priming first before the filler. That may be enough to keep the two metal separate. Nice work.

Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 PM
Back265
Senior User
E-tek I am amazed at this work you are doing. In my lifetime I could not do it, in fact I think it would take me a lifetime to just know where to begin. keep up the good work! I have a 1965 Ford F250 and if you are lookin for somethin to do .... let me know

Old 01-05-2010, 08:05 PM
Big Daddy T
Senior User
wow i have been following ths thread since you started it and it is way cool to watch a professional. I can only hope mine turns out as well. By the way where did you find the brace ends for the back floor crossmember. I have been looking for them!

Old 01-05-2010, 08:55 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Originally Posted by carras
wouldn't the dissimilar metals (aluminum/steel) cause galvanic action and prematurely rust? I think that you mentioned priming first before the filler. That may be enough to keep the two metal separate. Nice work.
Not that I've ever heard of or seen!

Here are just some of it's advantages (no I don't sell it!)...
The world's first aluminum filled repair compound.
  • Ideal for restoration work on aluminum spars and repairs.
  • Excellent adhesion to metals or wood. Can be drilled and tapped.
  • Prevents bleed-through and bleaching.
  • Ideal for metal leveling and mending, rust repair, use over spot welds and as a finish or barrier coat over all types of fillers.
  • Aluminum-filled, rustproof and waterproof filler.
  • Requires minimal shaping or grinding. Has the look and feel of lead.
  • Adheres to stainless steel.
  • Includes USC All-Metal liquid reactor.

Quick Reply: Walker's 66 Ford F100 Restoration