6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New Ford Diesel questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 12:51 PM
hogsanddogs
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Ford Diesel questions

Pulled the trigger on a new 6.4L F-250 and have about 3500 miles so far. At 1000 miles put a K&N cold air intake and improved fuel mileage from 13.6 to 14.4 mpg. At 2500, installed a Banks Monster exhaust from DPF back and improved to 14.9 for the next 1000 miles. Looking at chipping it and wondered if what your experiences with this are? What type of chip(programmer) and how much increase in mpg? Any other suggestions without voiding the warranty.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:42 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,418 Likes on 1,013 Posts
I am running the banks 6-gun. It is not a true chip, more of a programmer that intercepts and modifys for lack of a better explanation.

It is considered a clean tune and maintains the DPF and factory safe limits. For me I seem to get about 13 city and as high as 17 hwy unloaded and at speed.

All modifications can void warranty so it is a risk. I have not had any problems taking mine in for service with it still on, but then again I have not needed at engine work either. I have told my service advisor it was there and not to re-flash me.

If I did need any work then I would just remove it and let him know it was ok.

Old 12-10-2009, 01:54 PM
iqoair
New User
You'll gradually see better mileage as your engine breaks in, so I would be surprised if those items helped your mileage at all. If you chip it and remove the dpf you will see a mpg gain for sure, but you void your warranty. Infact your banks exhaust and intake would also void your warranty if they wanted to be ****** about it. I'd love to tune my truck / take the dpf off, but hardly worth the warranty hassle. Actually, I enjoy not having to smell diesel exhaust when firing it up in the garage.

Old 12-10-2009, 05:52 PM
jsa3107
Senior User
Originally Posted by hogsanddogs
Pulled the trigger on a new 6.4L F-250 and have about 3500 miles so far. At 1000 miles put a K&N cold air intake and improved fuel mileage from 13.6 to 14.4 mpg. At 2500, installed a Banks Monster exhaust from DPF back and improved to 14.9 for the next 1000 miles. Looking at chipping it and wondered if what your experiences with this are? What type of chip(programmer) and how much increase in mpg? Any other suggestions without voiding the warranty.

I am curious as my new truck is due in next week
Dont you worry about Ford voiding your warranty due to what you all are adding?
I have a 2007 Mustang GT/CS and my kids bought me the K&N cold air kit the dealer told me it could void my Warranty
So you dont worry about losing your warranty?

Old 12-10-2009, 08:11 PM
koboss1
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
thats what i dont want to risk..... my premium warranty til 2014

ill have a new one by then

Old 12-10-2009, 09:44 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
you may soon see excessive regen issues casued by that k n air filter.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:42 AM
hogsanddogs
New User
Thanks for responding. Not to worried about warranty issues with the air intake and exhaust as the dealer installed them for me and assured me that they in no way would void the warranty. Got it in writing. Haven't noticed any regen issues as of yet, but still have the original intake if I need to change. Take about an hour to do. Still looking for chip, programmer info.

Old 12-11-2009, 10:49 AM
69cj
Hotshot
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Thanks for responding. Not to worried about warranty issues with the air intake and exhaust as the dealer installed them for me and assured me that they in no way would void the warranty. Got it in writing. Haven't noticed any regen issues as of yet, but still have the original intake if I need to change. Take about an hour to do. Still looking for chip, programmer info.
The dealer doesn't back the warranty, Ford does. If you had a major problem and Ford voided the warranty I would bet that the dealer would become a complete stranger real quick.

Old 12-11-2009, 01:08 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by iqoair
You'll gradually see better mileage as your engine breaks in, so I would be surprised if those items helped your mileage at all. .
My mpgs started out around 13.4mpg on the first tank and has been creeping upwards.
I've got about 3600miles on it now and it's pushing about 14.5mpg. I checked in at 15.6mpg on a straight freeway shot of ~400miles a previous fillup.

Truck is still bone stock with a 3.55 axle and mpgs are all hand calculated.

The Ford user manual says not to pay too much attention to mpgs until after 3K miles while the engine breaks in. I sense the engine is a little looser now too, but that might be purely in my head.

Boo's and hisses on the DPF! But I get about 1mpg better on my F150, so the choice of which truck I rather drive is still clear :-)

Old 12-11-2009, 07:14 PM
cheezit
Post Fiend

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
all that letter means is that dealer will not void your warranty. we had a like program going for a short time. we had to eat 2 engines in the same mustang

Old 12-11-2009, 10:18 PM
case_7010
Junior User
y is everyone assuming this guy even cares about his warranty. these new engines have been leaps and bounds better than the 6.0. obviously idc about mine i did away with the dpf and all that crap at 5000 miles and so did like 4 other ppl i know. none of us hav had a problem besides one leaky radiator on a job one. so stop trying to scare this guy away ya tightwads. no offense but what a bunch of downers u b. if the guy wants to mod his truck reccomend something for fu$@ sake.

i would get and have spartan orr you could get sct with custom tunes or i see some guys getting the H&S tuner too. but that ones not as proven as spartan or sct. any other question just pm me for some actual HELP

Old 12-13-2009, 06:25 AM
jsa3107
Senior User
Originally Posted by case_7010
y is everyone assuming this guy even cares about his warranty. these new engines have been leaps and bounds better than the 6.0. obviously idc about mine i did away with the dpf and all that crap at 5000 miles and so did like 4 other ppl i know. none of us hav had a problem besides one leaky radiator on a job one. so stop trying to scare this guy away ya tightwads. no offense but what a bunch of downers u b. if the guy wants to mod his truck reccomend something for fu$@ sake.

i would get and have spartan orr you could get sct with custom tunes or i see some guys getting the H&S tuner too. but that ones not as proven as spartan or sct. any other question just pm me for some actual HELP
I am sure most here are trying to help him
I cant imagine that he doesnt care about his warranty
If you dont care you would be of the few
These are a good truck but all trucks have problems and repairs on these truck are very very costly and I guess its then that you would care about the warranty....

Old 12-13-2009, 07:37 AM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,392 Likes on 2,089 Posts
Originally Posted by case_7010
so stop trying to scare this guy away ya tightwads. no offense but what a bunch of downers u b. if the guy wants to mod his truck reccomend something for fu$@ sake.
Nothing wrong with a good and respectful debate, which you over looked. The Pro & Cons of tuning, since the 6.0L opened the door to dealer refusal on repairs, is of concern to many owners. To those of us that Pay to Play know voiding the Warranty is reality.

Carry on Gentelmen

Old 12-13-2009, 11:30 AM
Brandon D
Lead Foot User
Still looking for chip, programmer info.
My only advice is DO NOT cheap out on the tuner. Do your homework and buy one that does what YOU need it to. I love the Spartan but I don't feel I need to sell you on it. Research them all and you'll see the pros and cons of all of them, plenty of info on this forum. If after doing the research you want any more info on the Spartan then just let us know. There are plenty of guys on here that run it and would be happy to assist you. Good luck.