1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

89 e-150 maf swap help needed

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 02:34 AM
Reed
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
89 e-150 maf swap help needed

I will apologize in advance if this has been answered elsewhere. I tried searching, and i got tens of pages of posts that were often 15+ pages long themselves and none of it seemed to answer my question. I am hoping the MAF swap gurus can answer my (hopefully) simple questions.

The vehicle in question: 1989 E-150, 302, AOD (non-electronic). Totally stock.

The procedure being asked about: converting from speed density to MAF

I got a very good deal on someone else hardware for a 302 MAF conversion that ended up not happening. As a result, I now have the upper and lower intakes, fuel rail, engine computer, fuel injection wiring harness, and air filter assembly off of a 93 Mustang with MAF. I checked the computer code with the ones listed on forfuelinjection.com and the computer is one of the "good" ones.

I would like to swap the MAF injection system from the 93 mustang into my van with the minimum amount of fabrication ad leaving the motor as stock as possible.

My questions are as follows:

(1) can I use the stock 93 Mustang 302 engine wiring harness on my 89 302 van? (without repinning anything?)

(2) are there any firing order issues I should be concerned about? Can I just unplug the van harness and plug the Mustang harness in?

(3) can I swap to the Mustang upper intake plenum to avoid the dual air intake tube throttle body issue?

(3)(a) will using a Mustang upper intake plenum in a van reduce low RPM torque or power?

(3)(b) if I use the Mustang upper intake and throttle body, can I still use my factory van throttle cable and kickdown assemblies?

(4) any other issues I should be aware of with this swap? (i.e. can I keep the stock cam in the van and not worry about firing order issues)

I am hoping to be able to get this swap done over a weekend since this van is my daily driver.

Thanks in advance for putting up with the newbie questions.

P.S. I am still planning on swapping in a 351, someday, I just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Old 01-12-2010, 07:55 PM
samickguy15
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
(1) can I use the stock 93 Mustang 302 engine wiring harness on my 89 302 van? (without repinning anything?) I would re-use the existing harness instead of removing and replacing what's there. The harness on the van is integrated with the other chasis connectors, so it would be a pain to switch.

(2) are there any firing order issues I should be concerned about? Can I just unplug the van harness and plug the Mustang harness in? Firing order for the Mustang will be the HO firing order. The van should be the standard. The firing order should be listed on the Emissions tag on the hood or radiator support. And no, you can't just plug it in and go. Your best bet is to re-pin the ECM connector. It's not real hard. Just have to move pins around. Some may be in the correct place already. You can get pin-outs on fordfuelinjection for the Mustang, and a van diagram using the repair guides on autozone.com Just go to the chasis wiring section and then wiring diagrams.

(3) can I swap to the Mustang upper intake plenum to avoid the dual air intake tube throttle body issue? Truck and car intakes are different. The truck lower resembles a Holley aftermarket intake. Some folks upgrade to a Lightning throttle body and tube to go MAF.

(3)(a) will using a Mustang upper intake plenum in a van reduce low RPM torque or power?Possibly, but not enough to notice. Also, see above.

(3)(b) if I use the Mustang upper intake and throttle body, can I still use my factory van throttle cable and kickdown assemblies? See above

(4) any other issues I should be aware of with this swap? (i.e. can I keep the stock cam in the van and not worry about firing order issues) Just change around the spark plug wires and you should be fine. I can't recall exactly, but I believe you might need to change around the injector wire order. You will definately need to use the Mustang injector harness since each injector is seperate. You'll have to add a few wires to the ECM as well.[/QUOTE]

If you have all your ducks in a row, you could definately do it in a weekend.