Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

In-Dash NAV / What is Best Replacement for AVIC-D1?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2009, 04:47 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
In-Dash NAV / What is Best Replacement for AVIC-D1?

The 2005 Ex I recently purchased came with a 4 year old aftermarket Pioneer AVIC-D1 in-dash NAV/Tuner head.

The touchscreen doesn't work very reliably. You have to fiddle with it a lot to get a command entered.
Can't figure out how to make it dim when it is dark outside.
Can't figure out how to even turn if off.
Requires a DVD in the slot to Navigate. You can't play a CD at the same time.
No IPOD input. I think this could be added
The menus are very confusing.

OK. So these are all my reasons for getting a replacement. What is the best unit? Or, should I try to get this one repaired?

Old 12-04-2009, 05:15 PM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
I have an (older model?) Eclipse DVD/NAV in the F350. It has 2 slots, so you can listen to CD while navigating. I figured out how to to 90% of what it does by playing with it and the rest was easily located in the manual. I bought it used for a REALLY good price, so I'm not complaining - but I have decided my next unit will have some additional features.

- the NAV is missing some features I like about the stand-alone NAV units. I like the trip data stuff, avg MPH, trip time, etc. It would be nice to 'easily' program the route I WANT to follow, instead of just the 3 options it chooses. Where is the next rest area? I'm sure there's more

- I've played with some of the new head units that include a USB port. It is VERY cool to plug in your thumb drive and view pics/videos or listen to music. (CD's suck, I'm soooo over the skipping, worn-out ones I have)

- built-in bluetooth might be nice

- IPod 'controller' would be ideal. simply plug IPod in and toss in glovebox, cubby hole, etc and use touch screen on head unit to select songs, playlists, etc. (that is an option for the Eclipse I have now IIRC)

- Remote control is actually pretty nice. It allows back seat passengers to control tunes, movies, etc. (if you wanna let them!)

- I'd really like to see a simple RCA input for the back-up camera. This would allow me to use a multi-switch to allow more than one camera. I'd like a 2nd camera for the back of the camper (at least! ). The camera's are CHEAP - under $30. My Eclipse has some special plug and they want $300 for their camera.

- some units have internal and/or external memory, so you can store music directly in vehicle. A friend has a Kenwood that has a 30 gig harddrive that mounts behind the seat. You pull it out and using a docking station load up what you want from PC. It too is a few years old, the modern version is prolly a 120 gig or bigger and you can likely store movies, etc... (no need for IPod dock)

I'm sure there's more I've forgotten... My vote is shop around and see what features YOU like on the different units and then decide how much you can stand to spend!! Google whatever you decide on and see how cheap you can find it.

Let us know what ya end up with!

Old 12-04-2009, 07:27 PM
BigRy
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Look at the Pioneer F series, such as the F90BT or F900 or F700, they all offer integrated technoliges with no add ons unless you are looking at HD Radio and Satellite Radio add on features. The F series are the previous models and the were superceded by the current X710 or the X910, all those units reall are the F series witht he new 3.0 update with updated navigation and speed and processing. But you can pick up the F series on Ebay for a reasonable price and purchase the 3.0 update (79.00) and you basically have the X910 or X710 unit. I have the F90BT with the 3.0 update, and with the HD radio and Sat upgrade, and Ipod hook up, seperate front and rear DVD player and rear camera.

Old 12-04-2009, 07:47 PM
fwk
Freshman User
Pioneer has a rebate on the nav units right now. So I would consider one of the new head units

Old 12-04-2009, 11:52 PM
Auburn_in
Senior User
I'm looking to get an Alpine 7" screen with nav

Old 12-06-2009, 07:19 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Is the Excursion / Super Duty a Double - DIN size? The Crutchfield website does not list the Pioneer AVIC double DD sizes as "will fit"? Seems like several users here have Pioneer AVIC type head units that are double DD. Huh?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:37 PM
BigRy
Elder User
Yes, the Pioneer AVIC are Double Din units, and they fit perfectly.

Old 12-06-2009, 07:52 PM
msuforeman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are there any Nav units out there that let you use the steering wheel controls somewhat?

Old 12-06-2009, 07:53 PM
fwk
Freshman User
you have to modify the opening or the pioneer will no fit though it is not a big deal the top and bottom of the opening has to be removed a file or dremel works fine just take your time

Old 12-06-2009, 11:25 PM
Forest
Posting Guru
Sounds like since my AVIC-D1 is already mounted in the opening, I could put in any Pioneer AVIC model in it's place.

I may go one of two ways:

1) Totally replace unit with latest technology (AVIC-Z110BT)...$1,200.
2) Repair / replace with like unit. I see several AVIC-D2 units for sale in the range of $200 - $300.