1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Way off topic-Donating Blood

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:47 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Way off topic-Donating Blood

With the holiday season upon us the blood centers are going full bore asking for blood donations. I for have donated a lot of blood to my projects.

In the past I resisted donating blood for a really silly reason. I just couldn't stand it when they lanced your finger tip to test your blood. I would have donated gallons of blood if they wouldn't lance my finger tip. When I was a kid for some reason I always was having blood drawn. I never minded the needle in the arm technique but on a few occasions they tested my blood using the lance. I hated it, it felt like they jabbed my finger tip with a dull steak knife, my finger would hurt for a long time. The other day I took my wife and son down to give blood. My wife has been giving for about ten years and my sons have just started. My wife and youngest son started teasing me about donating blood so I relented and decided to donate. I filled out the forms and then came the blood test. Out came the lance. The new lances are nothing like the old ones. I didn't feel a thing. Please believe me, I hate it when someone says you don't feel a thing but in this case I honestly didn't. I will be going back as soon as I can.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:07 PM
rtcalabrojr
Darksider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know its a good cause but i have donated once and that im sad to say was the last. I would have to be knocked out cold for them to take it now. YES i dont like needles!!!! Sorry but this ones out for me!!

Old 11-22-2009, 09:58 PM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
We have Life blood come by work once a year, if I,m working that day I usually give. I think it's a great cause.

Old 11-22-2009, 11:59 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
About 35 years ago I started giving blood on a bet. I'm one of the universal O+ donors. Also, I am termed "cytomegalovirus (CMV) negative". Something like 80% of the population, at some time in our lives, have been exposed to this common virus and have developed an antibody against it. Not me, I've never been exposed to it. For this reason doctors specify my blood for babies. I go every two months and am now somewhere between 17 and 18 gallons donated. I expect the phone to ring again this coming week asking me to come in.

Bob is right. It isn't hard, and it's people like us that the Blood Banks depend on. And don't worry if you turn out to be CMV positive, it doesn't matter. They'll welcome you with open arms. With so many in the population doing drugs, having unhealthy sex lives, etc, it falls to boring people like us to be there to help those in need. Please donate.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
With the holiday season upon us the blood centers are going full bore asking for blood donations. I for have donated a lot of blood to my projects.

In the past I resisted donating blood for a really silly reason. I just couldn't stand it when they lanced your finger tip to test your blood. I would have donated gallons of blood if they wouldn't lance my finger tip. When I was a kid for some reason I always was having blood drawn. I never minded the needle in the arm technique but on a few occasions they tested my blood using the lance. I hated it, it felt like they jabbed my finger tip with a dull steak knife, my finger would hurt for a long time. The other day I took my wife and son down to give blood. My wife has been giving for about ten years and my sons have just started. My wife and youngest son started teasing me about donating blood so I relented and decided to donate. I filled out the forms and then came the blood test. Out came the lance. The new lances are nothing like the old ones. I didn't feel a thing. Please believe me, I hate it when someone says you don't feel a thing but in this case I honestly didn't. I will be going back as soon as I can.
Oh Bob now that's REALLY silly!

But here's the solution. Just wait to go out and work on your truck next until the blood drive is going on, and when you take the skin off three knuckles trying to loosen a bolt in the cold, just drop your wrench and run up to the donation center and press one of those knuckles to the test strip!

In all seriousness, this is a very good cause. Thanks Bob!

Old 11-23-2009, 01:59 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i too am petrified of needles , and i'm diabetic { which i believe precludes me from donating } . heck of a thing my very health can depend on something i can't even begin to describe my fear of . i think my blood type is a weirdo too a-b negative or something strange like that . don't know , never have had myself so messed up i needed it , and have grinned and beared it for relatives who did .

Old 11-23-2009, 08:41 AM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I cannot donate because 1. I am on blood thinners, 2. The large ga needles split my veins resulting in gigantic hematomas.
But I do have to go in for an INR test (clotting rate) every 4-6 weeks where they lance my finger and put a drop in the machine. It is virtually painless with the new lancets. The early auto lancets had a small blade in them and did hurt like the dickens during and after tho.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:47 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
I always gave blood on a regular basis for several years until 2002 when I got the auto immune disease Guillain Barre Syndrome. Now they won't take my blood anymore. Sorry I can't help.

Old 11-23-2009, 09:22 AM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Bob, your a good man! I would also like to add one more thing about donating. I always hope people consider being an organ donor Also.

My wife will someday be on the list for a heart transplant and sometimes people can't/won't ever get one. and or can be very sick and waiting for years and years for nothing to become available.

I am a blood and organ donor and if my life happens to be shorter than expected I would be glad to have saved anothers life with a heart, liver, kidneys etc etc .
My wife and I are only 32 and it's hard for most people to think about dying at that age but it does and can happen in an instant. (live everyday like it's your last) Although I sometimes forget!

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone

speaking of dying my wife said to me a couple months ago "Am I going to have to do an Auction for all these parts when you die" I laughed and said well maybe you'll be rich. funny thing is, I don't have that many parts...

Thanks to all of the blood donor's, you truely are the livesavers...

Old 11-23-2009, 10:55 AM
JimG1098
Fleet Mechanic
Received 36 Likes on 11 Posts
I gave for many,many years, both at work and in the FD. I have been unable to do so for the last 5 years, due to some health crap, but I am soon to be released to give again. I can't wait, for it was always somethging I liked to do. Thank you to all the doners.

Have a great Thanksgiving

Jim G 1098

Old 11-23-2009, 02:01 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
I used to work for the Red Cross so I really hate to say this.
The Red Cross collects for Regional Centers so your blood may end up any where.
Give to your Local Community Blood Bank.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:27 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
I used to work for the Red Cross so I really hate to say this.
The Red Cross collects for Regional Centers so your blood may end up any where.
Give to your Local Community Blood Bank.
The place I went, and go, is local. I don't really care as long as it benefits my fellow human, although I prefer it stay home.

I also have my license signed for organ donation, what I am going need them for when the time comes?

The main reason I posted this to let everyone know it's really painless. I was happily surprised in how painless. Believe me, I wouldn't say it unless it was true. I've had people tell me it's practically painless to have a tooth filled, that's a bunch of bull.

I appreciate those who can't donate for medical reasons. I don't mind the needles as long as I don't look. After having numerous blood draws one day I just happened to look as they stuck the needle into my arm. When I saw the blood started to gush into the tube I became really light headed and the room started to spin. I thought I would have that reaction. I just never look when they stick it in and while it's inserted. I actually think it's quite funny but I can't explain it.

BTW, I feel this post really isn't all that far off topic when you consider that our hobbies involves one of the most dangerous activities most people partake in, driving, which we are reminded on almost monthly basis from an experience some one posts here. Add to that that we put ourselves even more in harm's way by using power tools and working with moving and sharp objects which increases our chances of needing blood at some point.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:21 PM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
I'll ditto Penn Dick's comment on going to a local center if you have one. Much better control to my understanding.

Also, about a half hour ago I got my automated call telling me where and when my last pint was given to a patient, and reminding me that I can give again on 11/27. Stu

Old 11-23-2009, 03:30 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
I am a registered organ donor.

Old 11-24-2009, 10:07 AM
rb48f6
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Before retirement I gave regularly, the Red Cross came in every quarter for 2 – 3 days and collected. For a period I hadn’t donated and on one visit the nurse commented my iron content was high, not alarming, but high. What I learned was this was not good for us guys; elevated iron count can contribute to heart problems / heart attacks. One of the best ways to reduce or keep the count in check is having blood drawn. That kept me on track to donate and it did keep the level in check.

With that I need to find a place locally to get back in the habit of donating blood again. Preferably for local use, as Bob J says though, as long as it helps someone.

Quick Reply: Way off topic-Donating Blood