1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ford's New Mexican SD Diesel Engine Plant

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 10:50 AM
ironmine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford's New Mexican SD Diesel Engine Plant

I was pleased when I read that Ford would design, develop, and build its new Super Duty diesel engine in-house.

I was bummed when I read that Ford would build a spanking new plant in Mexico to build it.

Anyone care much? So what? Part of the new global economy ... get used to it? Ford is making intelligent business decisions?

It matters to me ... a lot. I will be getting a new truck in 2 years. After a life time of driving nothing but F-250's (except my first new truck, a 1979 F-150 Ranger) .... I will look very closely at the different manufacturers.

Then, again .... anyone know where the new GM engine is being built? Lol.

I have to admit, my wife has made her long commute to the office in a Honda or Toyota. But, I made sure that the car, the engine, and the transaxle were assembled in USA ... and have a very high pecentage of total US sourcing.

Hopefully Ford will bring more 4-cylinder engine assembly to Ohio. Otherwise, Walmart will be able to build a new store where Cleveland Engine Plant #2 was.

BTW, the week I read about the Ford engine plant, I also read that Frigidaire (Frigidaire, Maytag, Sears Kenmore) was closing its Indiana top-freezer refrigerator plant, and building a new plant in Mexico to build them. Their smaller ice-maker factory will probably follow. Also, Cummins Diesel is closing their US Filtration Products factory, and building a plant in Mexico to produce them.

Let me make sure I understand NAFTA ..... we send what's left of our manufacturing to Mexico. And then, the Mexican people will have better jobs and more money .... so they can buy more stuff from China.

Sorry for my long-winded blah blah blah

Old 11-22-2009, 11:07 AM
jlmotox
Elder User
it's all about the penny pinching corporate yahoos that are looking to save a penny at our expense! nothing new here! outsource jobs to produce the same product at a cheaper cost and loose american jobs...corporate doesn't care one bit! they know thier job will stay in the US.

the only bright side I can hope for would be that all the boarder hoppers here in the US will see these jobs being sent back to thier country and they will all leave OUR country!!

Old 11-22-2009, 11:12 AM
SpringerPop
Hotshot

Received 188 Likes on 112 Posts
We we sold a bill of goods when we were told, "The American worker will successfully compete on the world labor market".

What we weren't told was, "...but only when America's economy and wages are also those of a third-world country's."

Saaay, that may be soon......

Pop

Old 11-22-2009, 12:54 PM
98SurplusExpy
Senior User
It will all come full circle in my opinion .... I think we're just starting to see the effects now.

It was Henry Ford's therory that if you provide the worker with the means to buy the product, then the product will sell. Since the growth of "China-Mart" and the like, we have seen that the "US Worker" increasingly DOES NOT have the means to buy the product because his/her job in no longer there.

At a price of $50,000+ for an F-250 Diesel ... I think Ford may find it tough to sell to the average Joe trying to tow his RV on a vacation. Why? .. because Joe no longer has a JOB due to the US becoming more of a service nation rather than a producer/manufacturer.

This IS a political issue, and as a Repulican who generally does not support the Labor Unions, I think the nation as a whole needs to wake up and smell the coffee that was "Made in China".

Old 11-22-2009, 03:26 PM
skip mitchell
Senior User
The home office for my company is in Cleveland Oh,I figured after watching the cleveland browns last monday night ,that the cleveland coach moon lights as our company president,the corporate world has no feeling for the work force,wear this one out and go find another body.

Old 11-22-2009, 05:45 PM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ironmine
I was pleased when I read that Ford would design, develop, and build its new Super Duty diesel engine in-house.

I was bummed when I read that Ford would build a spanking new plant in Mexico to build it.

Anyone care much? So what? Part of the new global economy ... get used to it? Ford is making intelligent business decisions?

It matters to me ... a lot. I will be getting a new truck in 2 years. After a life time of driving nothing but F-250's (except my first new truck, a 1979 F-150 Ranger) .... I will look very closely at the different manufacturers.

Then, again .... anyone know where the new GM engine is being built? Lol.

I have to admit, my wife has made her long commute to the office in a Honda or Toyota. But, I made sure that the car, the engine, and the transaxle were assembled in USA ... and have a very high pecentage of total US sourcing.

Hopefully Ford will bring more 4-cylinder engine assembly to Ohio. Otherwise, Walmart will be able to build a new store where Cleveland Engine Plant #2 was.

BTW, the week I read about the Ford engine plant, I also read that Frigidaire (Frigidaire, Maytag, Sears Kenmore) was closing its Indiana top-freezer refrigerator plant, and building a new plant in Mexico to build them. Their smaller ice-maker factory will probably follow. Also, Cummins Diesel is closing their US Filtration Products factory, and building a plant in Mexico to produce them.

Let me make sure I understand NAFTA ..... we send what's left of our manufacturing to Mexico. And then, the Mexican people will have better jobs and more money .... so they can buy more stuff from China.

Sorry for my long-winded blah blah blah
Do I understand your position correctly? You rather buy a product that used American labor even if the company is foreign, over a product from an American company using foreign labor.

Old 11-22-2009, 09:25 PM
Pinky Demon
Posting Guru
Don't like it? Go picket your local UAW chapter and an EPA office.

Old 11-23-2009, 12:21 AM
redford
Received 1,565 Likes on 913 Posts
It is getting to the point where if you want a vehicle that was built in the US with parts made in the US, you need to do it yourself.

Old 11-23-2009, 03:45 AM
78bigbronco
Fleet Mechanic
Or just keep the one you got or buy an older one...

Well atleast its still made on this side of the globe lol!

The day the motors are made in china, I'm...

Old 11-23-2009, 04:36 AM
vicwill
Freshman User
We americans have contributed to alot of the jobs going outside our borders by wanting things cheaper. When I buy a vehicle I make my choice by where the profits go. So what if it is assembled here using american labor...I look at the bottom line. And if you think they buy made in the USA products with there profits....you are kidding yourself. And most americans have bought the idea that Honda, Toyota etc. make far superior vehicles. Well that may have been the case years ago but the american car maker learned from the foriegn car maker. There is other things about a vehicle other than how MPG's and how many miles I get out of the drivetrain. I do agree the made in China thing will be coming home to roost in the future. The younger generation in china will not work for the pennies their older generation has. Just my thoughts.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:24 AM
rotun
Reads ***** rules!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Blame the government for the outsourcing. As a business owner I know the reason the "corporate" entities are outsourcing, we are getting hammered by taxes and insurance rates of which these other countries do not have. Of course taxes still have to be paid no matter where the workforce is and to keep here in the USA what they can....they have no choice but to outsource.

And now the health care reform that is coming up......my company is considered a small business but because we have over $500,000 in annual payroll we have to provide health insurance. I have approx. 70 employees and we did offer health care until this year as all the insurance companies out there require the employer pay at least 25% of which we can no longer afford to do. So how are we supposed to stay in business with all the demands to our so called "profits"? The answer is to get cheaper labor, unfortunately my business cannot and will not do this so we make cuts else where.
I consider everyone working for me as part of the family and being such our profits have gone to zero as I would rather keep everyone working and getting a paycheck then to close the doors, at the same time the fed and state gov't is working harder at extracting more $ from companies and they are being forced to shut down or outsource.

Don't blame us, blame the politics and governing bodies that have created this, they are the only ones that can undo what they have done.

Old 11-23-2009, 11:48 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
None of this has a hill of beans to do with the technical "Superduty" forum.

I'd move this, but not sure where it should go, so ... thread closed.