1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

F250 ok and F350 not - meaning of state law/restrictions

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
F250 ok and F350 not - meaning of state law/restrictions

I was reading some of the snow zone requirements and snow restrictions on highways in Oregon and the 10,000 stuck out to me.

Here is the state's wording: "In typical winter conditions, vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW) or less and not towing or being towed are allowed to use traction tires in place of chains."

Do you think technically a F250 can use traction tires in place of chains and an F350 would be required to use chains (unless the F350 was purchased with the 10,000 GVWR option)?

Old 11-17-2009, 08:51 PM
flamebuster
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think it is probably similar to Washingtons laws. Here it is mainly commercial vehicles they are after since more people are pulling large gooseneck trailers hauling some pretty heavy loads. Duallys are a prime target when hauling or towing. But they havn't bothered the private sector hauling or towing rvs.(yet) But if it is slick out it is good to follow their advice. If your wreck or spin out and block traffic you can expect the citation book to come out.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:16 PM
c.f.moore
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Since most private trucks don't have their GVW posted, and the difference of F250 or F350(srw) while it drives by is minute, your chances of being stopped, are extremely remote.

I have driven the passes in WA and OR , with chains required signs posted, and never been stopped.

Old 11-17-2009, 10:25 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
WOW, that has to be some terrain to REQUIRE chains. Around here, chains or studs are only allowed in certain counties during certain months, but never required.

Old 11-17-2009, 11:07 PM
tinman52
Welder User

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts
Yeah some of these passes are pretty steep.......like 7 percent grade for ten miles or more. Chains are required mostly for semi's so they don't spin out halfway up.....and even if they can make it to the top without chains, trust me they want them on to go down the other side..........t/m

Old 11-18-2009, 10:26 AM
Ace!
Cargo Master
Siskiyou Pass is the highest on Interstate 5, and in Oregon. It's pretty steep, although I don't know the grade. Oregon has a lot of mountains and I live in a valley, so to go anywhere outside the valley you're climbing something. And with all the trees the roads can be clear and you come around a corner and find month old ice that's melted and refroze over and over.

So, anyway, where I live (it's called a snow zone, but not the entire state) state law requires the use of traction tires or that you at a minimum carry chains that fit your vehicle. Traction tires don't have to be studded tires though, they can be RMA severe snow tires (studdless snow tires).

Around here there are places that sell chains and let you return them in the spring if you haven't opened the bag they come in.

Regardless of how the state police enforce the law it appears to me that it could be enforced against SRW F350s and I was just wondering if that's the way it read to other people.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:16 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Ace!
Here is the state's wording: "In typical winter conditions, vehicles rated at 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight (GVW) or less and not towing or being towed are allowed to use traction tires in place of chains."

This is just another example of where the government regs haven't caught up with the GVWR of the pickup trucks available today. You will find that a lot if you watch for it. Like towns where you can't even park an F250 on the street, because it is over 6,000#.

You will probably get away with it, but as was stated above, if an accident happened and God forbid someone was hurt, you could find yourself in a really bad spot. Better just get the chains.

Originally Posted by aldridgec
WOW, that has to be some terrain to REQUIRE chains. Around here, chains or studs are only allowed in certain counties during certain months, but never required.
Tell me about it. In CA they just LOVE to make you break out the chains. If it even dusts a little snow, they make you carry them, including traffic breaks to inspect, and if a little slush builds up they will make you put them on. Fortunately, a 4WD with M+S tires will usually be exempt unless it gets really bad. And usually in that case they will just shut the road down. They don't trust us to drive in anything here.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:39 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
I've travelled all over OR, ID, WA in bad winter weather and never carried chains, save once. Never needed them, and never been stopped for not having them either.

Old 11-18-2009, 12:49 PM
Ace!
Cargo Master
In a snow zone you're not likely to be checked unless you're stopped for something else, or if they have a chain restriction in effect and stop everyone at the chain up area and you're the only one sitting there without them; however, sometimes there are people selling chains in a chain up area so you could buy them then (for a LOT more $$). You become a hazard for other vehicles if you've got to just sit there in the chain up area, especially on Interstate 5 over the Siskiyous (it gets crowded).

Edited to add, "Current Chain Restrictions: Carry Chains or Traction Tires" on the Siskiyou Pass. So, as of right now, not carrying chains or having traction tires would result in a class C traffic violation if you were caught.

However, my question was really relative to the way the law was written, as it appears to make the distinction between vehicles at the 10000 mark and current F350 (unless you opt for the 10k GVWR package) are over that GVWR and held to a different standard (per the wording of the law, regardless of how it happens in practice) even though they are the same vehicle (for the most part).

So SD4x4, you might want to throw some chains in the truck next time you're driving all over Oregon, just in case.

Old 11-18-2009, 01:20 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ace!
So SD4x4, you might want to throw some chains in the truck next time you're driving all over Oregon, just in case.
I don't do much travelling in OR anymore since moving back to WA. If you are worried about a ticket for not having chains on a plus 10k GVWR rig, then just throw some chains on and keep on truckin. I'm guessing OR DOT doesn't know the GVWR of every vehicle on the road and wasn't aware of an F350's plus 10k rating, I really doubt the law as written was targeted at light truck owners. As stated above, it was probably targeted at commercial rigs.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:17 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I agree the original intent was aimed at commercials hauling heavy loads.

I suspect the "why" was two fold:
1) Rubber compounds on heavy trucks are much harder than light trucks. This is by necessity to prevent them wearing out quickly. Hard rubber does not grip snow or ice nearly as well as soft rubber so trucks equipped with heavy duty high mileage tires will lose grip sooner.

2) Heavily loaded trucks that go out of control can hurt a LOT of people. Therefore, it is desirable to prevent them from going out of control.

I drive over Siskiyou and Donner several times a year. I have also always been waved through NV, OR, and CA chain control areas as my Goodrich T/A KO's are rated as traction tires (snowflake in mountain on the sidewall).
I also carry chains, just in case. Conditions can change so fast on those summits, and there are long stretches of no help. And serious cambers. And steep drop offs. Spin out and off the road at the beginning of a severe storm, and you could be stranded for hours, if not days. With chains, you at least have a chance of saving yourself and your family. Add a tow strap and others can help you as well. Go naked, you're at the mercy of overworked public servants and will have to wait. Buying in advance from tirechain.com, they are surprisingly inexpensive insurance. Tire Chains by TireChains.com

Not only good for ice and snow, but can come quite in handy when offroading! Especially useful for mud. Not 4' deep gumbo mud, but like when you're on a trail and get stuck in a low spot of snotty mud. Or for anybody that has been stuck out on a playa (like at Black Rock Desert), they are borderline miracles.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:24 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Just had another though... Are traction tires even available for 10,000+ GVWR trucks? I assume that means E rated...

I guess so, at least Cooper has a few E rated versions of their traction tire:
http://www.coopertire.com/html/produ...e=S&sorttype=T

Old 11-18-2009, 04:27 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "traction tire", but just about every SUV and truck tire is M+S rated. Even tires with regular groove tread. It's kind of a joke really, and that M+S is all that the CHP looks for.

All-Terrain, and Mud-Terrain, are definitely available in E ratings, and that is what you should be using on any Superduty.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:35 PM
mwsF250
Postmaster
Traction tires, as defined by the state in question:

TripCheck - Road Cams, Road & Weather Conditions in Oregon - ODOT

And you are right, an M&S rating is a complete joke. There are no standards as to what it means. Any tire manufacturer can put it on any tire. Pure marketing tripe.
Only stupid bureaucrats in states like California put any meaning to it....
Yes, I live in CA.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:58 PM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Originally Posted by bpounds
Not sure what you mean by "traction tire", but just about every SUV and truck tire is M+S rated. Even tires with regular groove tread. It's kind of a joke really, and that M+S is all that the CHP looks for.

All-Terrain, and Mud-Terrain, are definitely available in E ratings, and that is what you should be using on any Superduty.
The mountain/snowflake symbol is a much safer bet to rely on when buying a traction tire than M&S rated.

Quick Reply: F250 ok and F350 not - meaning of state law/restrictions