1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

EDGE Insight (Monitoring System)

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:14 PM
locomike
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
EDGE Insight (Monitoring System)

This is not intended to 'BASH' EDGE products. I just want my other diesel partners to be warned about the Insight product used to monitor your truck parameters. Intended to take the place of almost any gauge you would want to install.<O</O
<O></O>
1st. BE WARNED.... If you buy the Insight (around $ 300) you will need to spend another $ 85 plus shipping for an EGT probe !!<O</O
<O></O>
2nd. BE WARNED.... EDGE advertises that the insight is VISTA compatible. This is a partial truth. The CD that comes with the Insight comes with two programs. One program is called FUSION and it connects the Insight to your USB port and check for firmware revisions and updates with EDGE. This part WORKS. The second program (and the one you really need) is called Insight Profile. This program is the one that gives you access to set up your EDGE device and customize what parameters you want to read and alerts you want to set.
THIS PROGRAM is NOT <ST1VIST</ST1compatible. <O</O
<O</O
I spent time on the phone with EDGE support and they told me that 'SOME PC's' running VISTA <ST1</ST1was not working. I tried four different PC's with VISTA <ST1</ST1and none of them were compatible !!!!!

<O</O
The support guy then suggested that "I borrow a PC from a buddy that was operating on Windows XP". Oh and buy the way, anytime I wanted to make a change I would need to borrow and reinstall the software from 'my buddy'. Not really my opinion of a solution !!!!!!! <O</O
<O</O

Oh yeah, I am on a complaint list so if they ever resolve the problem I can get the program. <O</O

Old 10-28-2009, 07:12 PM
QwkTrip
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not surprised at all. I had an Edge Juice with Attitude on my Duramax. It was problematic. Some of the instrument channels would just quit working for 5 minutes and then come back. Seemed to be triggered more often when coming off cruise control. Mileage in economy mode was WORSE then stock. But I was one of the lucky people. I've seen far too many reports of sudden and total failure causing the engine to shut down instantly, and needing to remove the Edge to restart the engine. Since I had an Edge product I paid close attention to what other people were saying and it was mostly bad news. Seems that 2 or 3 year life span is typical. I've maybe ever seen 1 or 2 people that would buy from Edge twice. Many other people were on their 2nd or 3rd warranty exchange.

Old 10-28-2009, 07:30 PM
locomike
Freshman User
Originally Posted by QwkTrip
Not surprised at all. I had an Edge Juice with Attitude on my Duramax. It was problematic. Some of the instrument channels would just quit working for 5 minutes and then come back. Seemed to be triggered more often when coming off cruise control. Mileage in economy mode was WORSE then stock. But I was one of the lucky people. I've seen far too many reports of sudden and total failure causing the engine to shut down instantly, and needing to remove the Edge to restart the engine. Since I had an Edge product I paid close attention to what other people were saying and it was mostly bad news. Seems that 2 or 3 year life span is typical. I've maybe ever seen 1 or 2 people that would buy from Edge twice. Many other people were on their 2nd or 3rd warranty exchange.

All to familiar. I had an EDGE Juice with Attitude Platinum om my 6.0. Had to pull it off and have the truck reflashed. (not 100% sure it was the EDGE to be honest, but since it happened I trashed it). I figured "just the monitor" would be OK. Probably would if it worked as advertised.

Old 10-28-2009, 09:53 PM
imprezdcrew
Senior User
I'm guessing they use a different egt probe than the juice with attitude???

a buddy of mine just had me order him a replacement probe, i ordered it from edge directly and it was under 35 bucks shipped to my door.

as far as the windows vista problem... that really sucks. Sounds to me like edge hasnt done enough r&d on it to work the bugs out.

hope they get it straightened out soon...

Old 10-29-2009, 08:36 AM
locomike
Freshman User
Originally Posted by imprezdcrew
I'm guessing they use a different egt probe than the juice with attitude???

a buddy of mine just had me order him a replacement probe, i ordered it from edge directly and it was under 35 bucks shipped to my door.

as far as the windows vista problem... that really sucks. Sounds to me like edge hasnt done enough r&d on it to work the bugs out.

hope they get it straightened out soon...

Actually the probe is the same but of course the actual sensor is a (2 wire) RTD. The power supply for the sensor is in the harness of the 'Juice' so therefore just the sensor won't work. The insight has a 4 wire connector added to the ODB plug that the sensor plugs into. It generates its own poer for the sensor also. Soooo, you need the special sensor for the insight. Wish they had offered me the $ 35 deal

So now I have $ 400 in a monitor that technically works, but can not be fully configured without an XP computer.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:46 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
I'm sorry to hear that, Mike.

I've seen lots of very satisfied people on here with both the Edge Insight for their 6.4s as well as the Edge Evolution for their F150s. Go down to the '04-08 F150 forum, the Edge Evolution is much like the holy grail there. Most everyone with a tuner has one, and everyone that has it seems to love it.

And also, the 6.4L trucks don't need the EGT probe, which might be why I haven't heard of any problems with it. But this Vista incompatibility worries me. I'd love to get an Insight someday, but now you have me concerned because all of my computers run Vista!

Old 10-29-2009, 04:56 PM
locomike
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I'm sorry to hear that, Mike.

I've seen lots of very satisfied people on here with both the Edge Insight for their 6.4s as well as the Edge Evolution for their F150s. Go down to the '04-08 F150 forum, the Edge Evolution is much like the holy grail there. Most everyone with a tuner has one, and everyone that has it seems to love it.

And also, the 6.4L trucks don't need the EGT probe, which might be why I haven't heard of any problems with it. But this Vista incompatibility worries me. I'd love to get an Insight someday, but now you have me concerned because all of my computers run Vista!

I just wanna be clear, I am not slamming ALL EDGE products and am happier than a goat in heat that they work for some of you. Personally for tuning.... I prefer the SCT but that's one hillbilly's opinion. I do like the fact you can change the EDGE program on the fly and with the SCT X3 you have to upload via the hand held device..........

My warning to my fellow diesel owners (we all know we have enough issues) is that the EDGE INSIGHT will not communicate with 4 different VISTA 32 bit PC's and EDGE told me to borrow a buddy's XP PC.

Unacceptable !!!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:19 AM
RedBaron134
Freshman User
I also have an Edge Juice Platinum Like QWKTRIP and I've had it completely kill the engine on me as well, also had it kill 50% of my injectors or even keep the engine running and could not shut it down. I am planning on giving that up and getting a different tuner as soon as I'm back from IRAQ. Looking at a Diable possibly the new trinity. I've got a buddy that has the preditor on his King Ranch and is having a trouble free experience not to mention better economy than I am.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:19 PM
locomike
Freshman User
Originally Posted by RedBaron134
I also have an Edge Juice Platinum Like QWKTRIP and I've had it completely kill the engine on me as well, also had it kill 50% of my injectors or even keep the engine running and could not shut it down. I am planning on giving that up and getting a different tuner as soon as I'm back from IRAQ. Looking at a Diable possibly the new trinity. I've got a buddy that has the preditor on his King Ranch and is having a trouble free experience not to mention better economy than I am.

Don't ovelook the SCT. PM me if you would like to see the non biased results of head to head dyno competition of all the tuners installed on the same truck then dyno tested.

AND...... Thanks for your service to our country !!!!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 04:02 PM
jsimon724
Elder User
Not that you should have to, but you could probably find an old laptop or desktop running XP for dirt cheap and run the program from that.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:03 PM
locomike
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jsimon724
Not that you should have to, but you could probably find an old laptop or desktop running XP for dirt cheap and run the program from that.
Uhhhh

Old 11-17-2009, 03:15 PM
oldelmer1
New User
I just received my Insight, and when I launch insight program, my Insight would not connect up.

I went to properties of the program, LAUNCH INSIGHT, and changed COMPATIBILITY to WINDOWS XP, and it works just fine now. Give this a try.....

Old 11-18-2009, 09:06 PM
locomike
Freshman User
EDGE INSIGHT VISTA "Problem Solved"

Originally Posted by oldelmer1
I just received my Insight, and when I launch insight program, my Insight would not connect up.

I went to properties of the program, LAUNCH INSIGHT, and changed COMPATIBILITY to WINDOWS XP, and it works just fine now. Give this a try.....

With help from a OLDELMER1 we now have a solution
Go to the Start Programs
Find Insight
Click Insight
Right Click on Launch Insight
(Note- Do NOT do this from the desktop shortcut) !!!
Click Properties
Click Compatability
Check the box Run this program in compatibility
Windows XP service Pack 2
I have attached a JPEG for reference and don't hesitate to ask if I can help.
EDGE was ZERO help but the product rocks

For those of you not using your PC, you are missing out on allot of what this thing can do. IMO

Old 11-19-2009, 05:08 PM
oldelmer1
New User
Locomike,

Glad you were able to get the program to work.

I too called Edge support and he said there is a new program on the website that is VISTA compatable. But I looked all over and couldn't find it.

But, changing the compatibility worked GREAT!!!