2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 F150 - Complete CB Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:57 AM
irishwrath
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 F150 - Complete CB Radio Install

After searching dozens and dozens of forums I finally found all the information I needed to do my CB Install on my 2008 Ford F-150. I hope this guide helps others that want to add a CB to their F-150. Let’s begin…
<o></o>
Equipment used: All bought from walcottcb.com
<o></o>
CB: Cobra 29 WXNWST w/weather radio
Mic: Stryker SR65SB
Speaker: Cobra HGS500
Antenna:<st1:city w:st="on"><st1>Wilson</st1> 5</st1:city>’ FGT Silverload Fiberglass
Antenna Mount: Firestik SS194A
Antenna Spring: Firestik SS3H
Antenna Fold Over Adapter: 203EZ
Coax Cable: 18 ft.
PA Speaker: 360-28 8 watt
CB Mount: Workman C520 Saw Tooth Mount
Power Cables: Go buy extra spools of Red and Black 16gage wire (20 ft). Don’t to buy inline crimp connectors and U-connectors. I don’t know the technical term for them. You’re going to need some wire strippers too.
<o></o>
External Speaker:

<o></o>1. I took off the stereo/dash cover to access the “whatever” holder on top of the dash.

<o></o>
2. I then took the External Speakers mount and drilled the proper holes for the mount. I also drilled a larger hole for the speaker wires to slide through. Next, I ran the speaker cable down through the back of the stereo and to the floor for running to the CB radio later.
<o></o>

<o></o>
BEFORE YOU COMPLETE THE NEXT STEPS GO TO “Running the cables under the dash” SECTION (it’s at the end)
<o></o>
Running the Coax: This must be done before you install the Antenna Mount!
<o></o>
1. Start by running the coax through the hole shown in the picture. You do not have to remove the connectors to do any of this, it will fit. Run the coax down towards the bottom of the bed and wrap it around whatever you want to secure it. Now move onto the next step. <o></o>

This picture will be used again later

<o></o>
2. Remove the plastic running board on the driver’s side. Simply pull it up. You won’t break anything. Then locate the grommet as shown in the picture. Once located push it up from underneath the truck. Then take an X-acto knife and make a cross incision through the grommet ( + ) just like this. The next part will work. Do not worry about tearing the grommet. It’s pretty tough to break it. Run the coax through the hole where the grommet was. Run all of the coax through. Push the coax connector through the grommet then run the rest of the cable through the grommet and reinstall the grommet. Run the coax along the running board and just lay the rest on the floor underneath the dash. Reinstall the running board. <o></o>

Note:You can run the coax on either side of the bed, but the drive side ends up being much better in the future for grouping all your wires together underneath the drivers side dash.
<o></o>

<o></o>
Running the CB Power Cables:
<o></o>
1. Strip and connect the extra wire you bought to the positive (red) and negative (black) power wires for the CB Radio. DO NOT attach the U-Connectors that you’ll be attaching to the battery later. Take a metal wire hanger from your closet and straighten it out. Now wrap the red/black cable (do not do both at the same time) and push the hanger through the firewall grommet located behind the break/gas pedals. Just get it through the inside of the grommet. You do not need to puncture the grommet like we did with the running board. Once it’s through just grab some needle nose pliers and reach into the engine bay to grab the hanger. Pull the red/black wire through all the way. You can cut the excess later. <o></o>

<o></o>
2. I went and ran the wire along the “gutter” through to the other side. Once you have it run go ahead and strip the end of the red/black wire and attach your U-connectors. Then attach the connectors to the battery. . <o></o>

<o></o>

Mounting the PA Speaker:
<o></o>
I used one of the bumper brackets. The horn will not face to the front, but there will not be anything obstructing the speaker when you use it. If you mount it in the engine bay it will be muffled.
<o></o>
1. Remove the bumper bracket on the LEFT side. Drill your holes for the mount then attach the mount. I had to buy 2 bolts, nuts, coils, and thread lock. <o></o>

<o></o>
2. Reattach the bumper bracket and run the PA speaker wire to the top and along the side. I ran it behind and under the reservoir to the top right of the engine bay when viewing it from the front.

3. Get your handy hanger again. Run it back through the grommet, then tape the speaker wire to the hanger and drag it back through the grommet then run it with the rest of your wires to the CB Radio.
<o></o>

<o>

</o> Installing the Antenna and Antenna Mount:
<o></o>
1. If you used the mount I did just follow the instructions that came with it. Do not forget to sand off the paint underneath the bedrails hole where you will be mounting your antenna mount. Do not use a power drill, etc to screw in the mount. Use a standard Phillips screwdriver. Alternate between all four screws until they are all tight.

2. I had to extend the ground wire from the antenna. Use whatever length you need to.

3. This is important if you are going to use the antenna fold down adapter. Install the fold down adapter onto your antenna, and then install your antenna spring. Now install the antenna onto the bracket. Rotate the antenna until it can be folded down towards the back of the bed, and then tighten the coax adapter.

4. Now loosen one of the Phillips screws on the mount. Slide your antenna ground connector underneath the screw and tighten it back down.

5. Attach the coax cable to the coax adapter. Done.

6. If you’re in a cold area don’t forget to apply Vaseline or whatever you’d like to repel water from the antenna. Fiberglass antennas have been known to snap of from ice buildup.

For the first picture: Yellow Arrow = Fold Down Adapter, Red Arrow = Spring, Green = Mount.

<o></o>

Mounting the CB Radio:
<o></o>
1. Simply attach the saw tooth mount and connect all your wires/coax/etc.
2. Reinstall the plastic cover and you’re done! Now all you have to do is tune your antenna. I’m not going to provide a walkthrough on how to do this. Plenty of other forums for that. Hope you enjoyed! <o></o>

Running the cables under the dash:
<o></o>
1. I peeled off the plastic wrap underneath the dash. You can see the piece I’m talking about because the wires are running underneath it. Go to the passenger side and just pulled the piece off from right to left. On the driver’s side you have to be careful. The plastic attachment “screw” is super tight and can break the inner plastic. You can run the wires to the front of the center dash with this piece removed. Go head and do this. After you have the wires and coax run you can put the plastic cover back on. Only do this after your power / external speaker / pa / coax cable has been attached to the CB Radio. No need to cut any of the plastic.

2. Left over coax and excess wire can be coiled up (coil up the left over coax in a figure-8) and placed behind the loose carpet. <o></o>

<o></o>

My antenna was a bit too big for my Ford, but oh well. It works great!
<o></o>

<o></o>

Old 10-18-2009, 10:11 AM
MisterDave2
Elder User
Welcome irish, I have installed many of these for different folks over the years (especially in the 1980s). I still think the most important thing besides everything being wired up properly and safe is that the user is happy. Good job and pics, congrats!

Old 10-18-2009, 07:43 PM
jam92102
Senior User
Awesome write up man!! Really appreciate it. This will really help when I get off my butt and wire up mine.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:38 PM
eatingdead
Freshman User
Nice install and good working radio. What made you go with the fiberglass instead of a steel whip? And does being to one side of the truck make you directional?

Old 10-18-2009, 09:42 PM
irishwrath
New User
Hey EatingDead,

Well I decided to use a fiberglass antenna, because I've used them in the past and always had good range with the Wilson antenna's. Haven't a clue about the directional.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:09 PM
MisterDave2
Elder User
There's good info on mounting antennas on pickup trucks on the wilsonantenna website and it covers gain an the directional thing. But the simple answer is no that antenna won't have directional gain. It actually will probably operate at a slight loss because of interference from the metal on the cab next to it, so the SWR (standing wave ratio) will not be optimum.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:22 PM
irishwrath
New User
Thanks for the info Dave. I have the antenna tuned in at 1.2:1.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:25 AM
MisterDave2
Elder User
Irish, that's great, you'll get a nice run out of that "good buddy".

Old 10-23-2010, 08:01 AM
truckn1
Freshman User
I would like to see the pics,but for some reason,it says they been removed or deleted. Can anyone help?

Old 10-23-2010, 09:59 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
The OP removed them from his Bucket account...