Sponsored by: DP Tuner

AE not displaying cylinder #4 & #7

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:12 PM
DAI532
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AE not displaying cylinder #4 & #7

When looking at the live data on Auto Enginuity, why would it not give me the option to see missfire information for cylinder #4 and cylinder#7 ? Should it not list all 8 cylinders?

Old 09-18-2009, 07:30 PM
mndiesel
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure, still learning AE myself. Subscribing

Old 09-18-2009, 08:26 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just started playing with my AE as well, subscribing

Old 09-18-2009, 08:46 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
What is this misfire reading you are referring to? Who cares? We don't have spark plugs or coil on plug. Can you elaborate? There are parameters on the AE we need not concern ourselves with on the 7.3. There are a bunch of them if you look.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:17 PM
DAI532
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
What is this misfire reading you are referring to? Who cares? We don't have spark plugs or coil on plug. Can you elaborate? There are parameters on the AE we need not concern ourselves with on the 7.3. There are a bunch of them if you look.
I am well aware of that. However last time I checked, a miss can occur in any engine and in any cylinder for many different reasons.
Look where? The manual that came with my version of AE Ford Enhanced is crap and no where have I found an "AE 7.3 Bible", that you seem to be refering too, that explains all the parameters. Regardless of whether the parameters apply or not it should list the parameters for all 8 cylinders and not just six of them, unless there is a specific reason it would not. Which goes back to my original question. The parameters are listed in the the drop down boxes under the live data tab.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:27 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
You also need a shop manual. Don't log things that have no bearing on our trucks. If you want a pissing contest, look elsewhere. I will not participate. Good luck to you.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:38 PM
tdpower
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAI532 View Post
I am located in Gainesville,GA. 50 Miles NE of Atlanta.
You are pretty close to these guys: http://powerstrokehelp.com/

The are located in Buford down the street from ya.

Maybe related to that other weird thread?????????

Old 09-18-2009, 09:38 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Mike you are giving up way to easy, are you OK. I thought you would want him to at least check the plug wires
But DIA I do know what you mean I could not get a reading I felt good about this week checking my rotational velocity on the AE it read 0.0 on all 8 cylinders. I still have not got to the bottom of this.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:55 PM
DAI532
Junior User
Originally Posted by Tenn01PSD350
You also need a shop manual. Don't log things that have no bearing on our trucks. If you want a pissing contest, look elsewhere. I will not participate. Good luck to you.
Not looking for a pissing contest, just asked a question and got a smart response. Just looking for an honest answer to my question which is why I am here in the first place and not a sarcastic answer. Just trying to learn, and so far I have many questions, which have yet to be answered on this forum. Obviously there were two other people here interested in learning the same answer since they immediately subscribed to the thread. I would rather you not post if your attempt is to belittle me for not knowing. I would not have asked if I knew the answer. Funny, It seems people on this forum would rather make jokes about people who are new here rather than give legitimate explainations . . .

Old 09-18-2009, 10:26 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Bigcat350
... checking my rotational velocity on the AE it read 0.0 on all 8 cylinders. I still have not got to the bottom of this.
0.0 is good, but unusual on all 8 cylinders. EOT needs to be up around 160 or 170 deg, rpm's need to be at idle, and accessories like the AC need to be in the OFF position.

I have no answer on the misfire thing since that is geared toward the spark plug crowd. I've never even tried to look at that on my AE since it's not applicable anyway. Rotational velocity is the thing you want to look at on the live data tab, along with other things that seem to make sense. Best way to learn is just play around with it.

Old 09-18-2009, 10:53 PM
DAI532
Junior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
0.0 is good, but unusual on all 8 cylinders. EOT needs to be up around 160 or 170 deg, rpm's need to be at idle, and accessories like the AC need to be in the OFF position.

I have no answer on the misfire thing since that is geared toward the spark plug crowd. I've never even tried to look at that on my AE since it's not applicable anyway. Rotational velocity is the thing you want to look at on the live data tab, along with other things that seem to make sense. Best way to learn is just play around with it.

Thanks. I think you understand I was asking a question about software and not my actual engine. I've tried your previous suggestions, and appreciate your continued efforts to help. As you can tell I am still searching for a solution. What would you consider out of the norm on the rotational velocity? And, what would that tell you about an intermittent miss at different RPM's? (If the two are related.) As I stated in my other post, the buzz test, KOEO, KEOR, and CCT's all passed. UVCH's are all good, everything ohm's out, fuel pressure is good, fresh oil, about to give up and set it on fire . . .

Old 09-18-2009, 11:03 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
For rotational velocity, typically readings over 5 are considered bad. For an intermittent miss at different RPM's, two things come to mind. 1) Intermittent is tough to track down, and even harder to do over the internet. 2) Diesel engines make funny noises and run a lot different than gas motors. Sometimes I wonder if they make a noise every once in a while just to see if you're paying attention.

I understand you're asking about the software, and I understand there's no good 7.3 AE bible. If you've got some time on your hands, feel free to write us the 7.3 AE manual once you get this stuff figured out. I'm computer challenged and understand just enough to get by.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:55 PM
twags6
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Would one of you guys with an AE be able to run the test he's looking at and see if you get all 8 cyl's or just 6? I'm curious too cause things like this bug me.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by twags6
Would one of you guys with an AE be able to run the test he's looking at and see if you get all 8 cyl's or just 6? I'm curious too cause things like this bug me.
Why yes, since I did not want to feel like a tool I just checked this out on my truck after clearing a few BS codes on my son's Crown Vic. Took care of those then fired up my truck.

Guess what? No such parameters even appear on my pull downs for logging. Of course it does not change what I said and maybe the OP saw them elsewhere. Nonetheless, it is a parameter of no use to our diesels. If the OP tells me where it is I will look.

More interesting is how I logged zeros on all cylinder velocity readings like Eddie did. Of course I only did this to about 95*EOT so that may be why. It is getting dark out and I always run vel tests on a hot engine. Makes me think about how Eddie gets zeros on his when it is hot. So Eddie, the next time you do it hot, get an EOT reading too just to compare. Just trying to figure it out.

To the OP, I was not trying to bust your chops. I was trying to keep you away from things that have no bearing on our trucks. The only manual a lot of us have for these things is between our ears and what we have picked up so I apologize if I was condescending. I agree the AE manual sucks and is lacking.

Good luck with your truck. Don't let me run you off as I am pretty helpful usually unless something rubs me the wrong way.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:42 PM
Bigcat350
Posting Guru
Mike I did my test with the EOT at 100 also 160, 170,180 and 190 I think the day I called you I was at 180 when I left the message. I have now idea how its staying at 0.0

Quick Reply: AE not displaying cylinder #4 & #7