General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

What's the Interest in a Towing Operation?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:34 PM
Caleb H
More Turbo
Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Question What's the Interest in a Towing Operation?

Here's the story: I just graduated high school, and working part time twelve hours a week isn't really cutting it. I really would like to be my own boss, doing something kinda simple (NOTE: That doesn't equate to easy). I've been throwing around a million ideas, and the latest one is a vehicle moving service. A lot of you guys buy things off of eBay, Craigslist, and all other sorts of stuff, and I was just wondering what the market is these days for a vehicle delivery man; someone to tow a vehicle to somewhere else, whether you're moving, buying, selling, or just need a non-emergency tow. I have no experience, but this is sort of fancying my current interest, and if it is a somewhat lucrative job, it would give me something to start working towards in a few years. Can anyone offer me any information and/or advice?

(And yeah, I already know I'd need another truck, don't worry about me driving my '83 F150 cross country with a 6000 lb trailer )

Old 09-06-2009, 10:07 PM
Ford_Six
Hotshot
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The chances of making money at that right now are slim to none. You will need a CDL to cross state lines, and a DOT number, and commercial insurance with cargo insurance. Single hauling won't pay the fuel bill, either. If you charge $1 per mile, not enough to cover fuel, equipment costs, and insurance not to mention your pay, you will still be charging $3k to cross the country. At that price, people would be much more inclined to get on a plane and drive the vehicle back.
Might be a goal to work towards, but not something you can just step in and make money at.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:42 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by Caleb H
Here's the story: I just graduated high school, and working part time twelve hours a week isn't really cutting it. I really would like to be my own boss, doing something kinda simple (NOTE: That doesn't equate to easy). I've been throwing around a million ideas, and the latest one is a vehicle moving service. A lot of you guys buy things off of eBay, Craigslist, and all other sorts of stuff, and I was just wondering what the market is these days for a vehicle delivery man; someone to tow a vehicle to somewhere else, whether you're moving, buying, selling, or just need a non-emergency tow. I have no experience, but this is sort of fancying my current interest, and if it is a somewhat lucrative job, it would give me something to start working towards in a few years. Can anyone offer me any information and/or advice?

(And yeah, I already know I'd need another truck, don't worry about me driving my '83 F150 cross country with a 6000 lb trailer )
Originally Posted by Ford_Six
The chances of making money at that right now are slim to none. You will need a CDL to cross state lines, and a DOT number, and commercial insurance with cargo insurance. Single hauling won't pay the fuel bill, either. If you charge $1 per mile, not enough to cover fuel, equipment costs, and insurance not to mention your pay, you will still be charging $3k to cross the country. At that price, people would be much more inclined to get on a plane and drive the vehicle back.
Might be a goal to work towards, but not something you can just step in and make money at.
Outstanding advise. IMO, if your truely interested in a transport business / way of life then try to hire on as an apprentice or try to hire on as a tow truck driver and learn. While your learning, get your CDL and expand your capabilities with that.

I see heavy duty light trucks all the time pulling 3-4 car haulers into dealerships with new cars on them and I see them pulling interstate as well. The work is there, you have to chase it.

Tim

Old 09-07-2009, 08:56 AM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You would be entering into competition with a large number of people. For a start-up operation one source of transport orders is the insurance companies. They are always looking for the cheapest hauler available to pick up wrecked vehicles from holding yards to transport them to auction sites. You will need a transporter capable of moving a minimum of three vehicles.

2006 F-750 4 vehicle transporter
$70,000 http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...37869064B64C48
A truck such as the above will get 8 mpg hopefully.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:25 AM
hoosierbaby64
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just went through an ordeal of trying to get my vette from Az. To haul it from Az to Ft madison Iowa the bids ranged from 625.00 to 1,200.00 All were very very credible haulers.

There is a site called UShip that is phenomenal. I found my horse shippers using it, I have found shippers for rescued dogs etc. You can often pick up hauling jobs through them. If you are hauling car A to destination B for 300.00 you can pick up a return for your trip back for 300-? from B to A so you do not come back empty.

I have hauled horses several times because I had an empty slot on trailer and only asked for help with gas. Never charge for rescues.

It can be done. You have a passion for it, the time etc you can do it. I have faith. Our greatest journeys begin with that first step.