2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need Help Figuring Out What To Do To Raise Front and Get Snow Plow Ready

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 03:35 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Help Figuring Out What To Do To Raise Front and Get Snow Plow Ready

Hello All,
It has been a long time since I have posted here. However, I know where to look for help when it comes to my 04 Ford Scab 4X4. I would like to raise the front end a little to help level the truck some and I am also going to get a light duty snow plow for it. I will only be plowing three driveways. Anyway, I went into the alignment shop today and talked to them about what they could do for me. The parts guy showed me some aluminum spacers that are about an inch thick and set on top of the springs. They looked like horse shoes. He said that should raise the bumper height two to three inches. Then he said I should replace the spring stops with a kit that has bigger stops to keep the front end from going down so far when lifting the plow. This stop kit is $200. He said the entire job would run $385 including alignment. What do you think of this set up for raising the front end and do you think the bigger stops are necessary?
Any suggestions, comments or thoughts sure would be appreciated.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:11 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
do it the right way.
your guy is kind of 1/2-assing it. you can use OEM parts and get better results

there is a Heavy Duty F-150 has stronger front springs than a normal F-150. These are specifically recommended for Snow Plow applications

I'd get those springs...which will bolt right in with no modifications needed. the ride will get a bit rougher, but not too bad. DixieMudder has one of the HD trucks and I'll bet he can tell you more about the ride/load qualities if you ask him

in addition, I recommend you pick up a 2" steel leveling kit.

after you get the 2 parts, rent a coil-spring compressor and remove the front coil-overs. disassemble the coil-overs and put the HD springs in. re-assemble. then install the 2" leveling kit ontop.

then put it all back inside the truck. figure 3-4 hours for the whole process...and it's something you can do in your driveway. This will give your truck about 2-2.5" more hieght up front, and increase your front weight capacity a couple hundred pounds.

should be more than adequate for holding/using that snowplow...and the front should only sag minimally with it installed since those springs are stronger.

the goodies you'll need:
Leveling Kit:
1st off, aluminum corrodes in contact with salt + water...and since you live up North...yeah I'd avoid that. get a Steel spacer

Autosprings has been making these from the very beginning. I had 2 of their products and loved them. Might be $10 more than some of the other guys, but hands down I will recommend them to everybody. You get a quality product.

Auto_Springs eBay Store

Auto_Springs 2" Leveling kit - $80 shipped
Heavy Duty Springs:
Y2K Ford - FTE Ed's Parts Website.
Great guy who works the Parts Department at a Seattle Dealership...give him a call and tell him you need the Heavy Duty springs. He really knows his stuff and can get you the springs at a decent price.

Old 08-26-2009, 04:13 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by Ruckus
He said the entire job would run $385 including alignment.
btw, is that all the work 100%?

or

is that $385 + the $50-100 alignment charge?

Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
tylus,
yeah, I forgot about AutoSpring and I remember Ford made a heavy duty F150 in 2004 that had 7 lug rims. I think it had a 8200 GAWR instead of the 7200 GAWR. I'm not sure I want the heavier front springs because I may not be using the snow plow that much and they are probably very expensive. I now wonder if I want the 1 1/2" or 2" AutoSpring? I probably should install the bigger stops to keep the front end up when lifting the snow blade. The plow I am looking at weighs 400 pounds. If I would install the 1 1/2 inch Autospring would I be able to fit 33's on without any problem or rubbing? Thanks in advance for your help.
Oh, by the way the price of $385 included the alignment and tax. Now I'm thinking I might buy the AutoSpring (not sure of size yet) and have them install them.

Old 08-27-2009, 01:42 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

tylus,
yeah, I forgot about AutoSpring and I remember Ford made a heavy duty F150 in 2004 that had 7 lug rims. I think it had a 8200 GAWR instead of the 7200 GAWR.

I'm not sure I want the heavier front springs because I may not be using the snow plow that much and they are probably very expensive.
a guy on another forum spent like $150 shipped for them I believe. I'd at least ask FTE Parts Guy Ed. They might be alot cheaper than you think.

Also, highly suggest you PM DixieMudder and ask him about his ride. His truck is a HD F-150.

I now wonder if I want the 1 1/2" or 2" AutoSpring? I probably should install the bigger stops to keep the front end up when lifting the snow blade. The plow I am looking at weighs 400 pounds.
are you talking about rubber bump stops?

if your truck hits the stock bumpstops...you need the upgraded springs.

I wiegh 280 lbs and when I jumped up/down on my 2006 it didn't deflect a whole lot.

Putting bigger bump stops in WILL NOT HELP. They'll just limit wheel articulation and cause the suspension to bottom out sooner.

If I would install the 1 1/2 inch Autospring would I be able to fit 33's on without any problem or rubbing?
4x4 truck right?

if so, you can fit 33" tires right now without any rubbing at all.

Your factory tires are 32" tall already. a 1.5" leveling kit will be perfectly fine though and IMO will really help make the truck look better
Thanks in advance for your help.
Oh, by the way the price of $385 included the alignment and tax. Now I'm thinking I might buy the AutoSpring (not sure of size yet) and have them install them.
get the Autospring 1.5" or 2". you always want to use steel in the suspension whenever possible.

besides, you said the thing they had looks like a horseshoe? WTF?
bold again above

the $385 seems rather high to me. an established shop should be able to do each coil-over in about 30-45 minutes per side. It's actually quite easy to do.

Rough numbers based on my own experience...I did my own work. But figure 1.5 hours of Labor at $100/hour rate.

$80 AS Kit
$65 Alignment
$150 labor
=$295

that still leaves $90 for "stops"...whatever those are. I hope they aren't talking about bigger rubber bump stops...that will only make the issue worse

Old 08-27-2009, 09:56 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Mine should disassemble easily. I only have 7000 miles on it. Everything underneath is still like brand new. I keep it garaged. I would only have 3000 miles on it but I had to make two trips to Florida after my Dad passed away. I had a 1993 Explorer Limited that I bought new that I drove everywhere I went by myself. I don't have it anymore because of the Cash for Clunkers program. So now I will be driving my 04 F150 all the time for myself. Anyway, thanks tylus for helping me out here. I am still not sure whether to order the 1 1/2" or 2" Autospring kit. I want to raise the front end but not so much that it is up higher than the back end. Right now I have the 18" tires and cannot go any larger without modifying my Volant Ram Air tube that is at my driver side tow hook area. When I put the Volant intake on the tire almost rubs when fully turned.
The bigger rubber bump stops should help to keep the truck from going down so far when raising the plow, don't you think? The rubber bump stop kit is $200 so I need to make sure I want this. The guy at the spring/alignment shop thought that would be ideal for the plow usage. What do you think? Thanks in advance!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:07 PM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How did you use 'cash for clunkers' on an '04? I though it has to be a new 2008, '09, or '10 to get the credit?

Old 08-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
Fishin76,
I bought my 04 F150 brand new in August 2004. I just traded in my 1993 Explorer for a new 2009 vehicle for my wife.

Old 08-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Fishin76
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gotcha, call me confused. thanks for straightening me out.... I think its time for bed now.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:31 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

The bigger rubber bump stops should help to keep the truck from going down so far when raising the plow, don't you think? The rubber bump stop kit is $200 so I need to make sure I want this. The guy at the spring/alignment shop thought that would be ideal for the plow usage. What do you think? Thanks in advance!
1. Your Shop guy is scaring me. The fact that he thinks it is acceptable to limit wheel articulation...not cool.

2. If he really thinks you are going to be hitting the bump stops, you need the stronger springs. Bump Stops are only going to make the truck bottom out quicker. They will not help matters at all. You'll just be driving around without a suspension effectively.

3. Here is the part # for those springs. It took me awhile to find them. A member on another forum has a huge bumper that weighs about 200 lbs. He is switching to those springs to help counter the way his truck bounces with that bumper installed.
Originally Posted by AAK625
From Tasca:

Front Springs 8L3Z5310Z $55.47 each

Old 08-28-2009, 04:23 AM
svt2205
Posting Guru
What plows are you considering?

I run a Fisher 7.5' standard duty plow and there is absolutely no need to run heavier springs with this. Look at my truck with the plow up and down. My plow weighs in at 487, per Fisher.

Just make sure you're working with a plow manufacturer and installer who knows what works on the F150.

Old 08-28-2009, 07:12 AM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
svt,
Great looking set up! Sharp! Thanks for writing. I have a couple questions for you. Did you lift your front end? Did you install bigger rubber bump stops for your springs? Did you modify your front end at all? How long have you had your plow on? Do you have any advice for me knowing I am just getting started on this project?
I am considering several brands of plows. The Meyers was too expensive so I kind of ruled it out. A local dealer wanted $4000 installed. I like the looks of the stainless SnowDogg weighing only 400 lb, but it cost $3000. I will also shop for light weight Western and your Fisher looks like a nice one. What I have found so far is that they are very expensive for what you get. After I get my truck ready for a plow I will go in search of the best deal considering quality. What does a Fisher like yours run?
I noticed you wrote (changed plugs) after your truck desciption. What does that mean? Thanks in advance.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:15 PM
RISUPERCREWMAN
Senior User
I'd install the HD-Springs for the F-150, & a pair of the Bilstein Yellow HD Shocks, before plowing!

Old 08-28-2009, 09:02 PM
stronger
Senior User
I'm pretty sure that what svt2205 is saying is that his truck is 100% stock and that it handles the plow's weight just fine in this manner.
where i work they plow with 3 150s ('05-07s) and a smaller fleet of maybe 10 new body style superdutys '99-08s. the men beat on those trucks and I've never heard of them having any issues with the 150s. One of the 150s even has a plow (all fishers) on it that is 6-12" larger than whatever is recommended it. the manager drives that one home, he hates climbing into the 250s so he had them put a bigger plow on his 150, no problems.

Old 08-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Ruckus
Posting Guru
I went to the Meyer snow plow dealer to see if I could get a deal on a used plow they had setting there. Unfortunately, they had just sold it. While I was there the saleman was trying to sell me a new light weight one they had. The blade was only 6' 8". It probably would be fine but he wanted $3995 installed. Seems a bit much for a light duty plow. Anyway, they had a brand new Chevy Ex Cab 1500 1/2 ton that was getting a brand new 7' 6" Meyer plow. The saleman wanted me to watch how easy it is to hook up to the truck. Sure enough it was very easy to hook up after you get everything lined up. What I did notice was how the Chevy's front end went down when lifting the blade. It really went down. Now granted this was not the light weight plow that I was looking at but wow I would not want to do that to my F150. Just thought I would share that with you guys.

Quick Reply: Need Help Figuring Out What To Do To Raise Front and Get Snow Plow Ready