1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Solving an overheat problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2009, 11:03 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by 49fordpickumup
I missed the info on the radiator cap. He said try a 15lb cap, you said you have a 13lb. Have you tried it? chuck

Do you have room between the back of the radiator fans and the engine to install maybe a one inch standoff on the four bolt between the shroud and it's mounts. This would dump the extra air within the shroud for a test and still be a safe test. I still think the same about the air flow in one of my previous thoughts. You need slots or holes everywhere in the shroud that there isn't a fan. Restricted air flow. Just my thoughts. chuck
no room.. its shroud or not..

funny.. I had the fans mounted on steel bars for a while, and I didn't like the look so went to the shroud..

Sam

Old 08-25-2009, 11:07 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by cmoritz
Sam, Cool tool eh? Sounds like the radiator/fans are doing their job,..but the engine temp keeps rising..??.How high will it go before you want to shut things down? Is 205-210 out of the ballpark for this engine?
How does it run..any hesitation on accel from a stop? Any stumbling thru the gears at lite throttle? How many miles on your new engine??..time enough to yank the plugs and read for color? Tan across the ceramics (like coffee/w creamer) is just right.
It might just be a little tight being a fresh rebuild..and things will loosen up some as the miles/hours accumulate.Have you changed the oil yet? What wt are you using? I know thats alot of questions, and probably more coming..Your laser is a good investment already..arn't ya glad you don't have to wonder and guess...LoL! Keep it "real' handy..like on the front seat for awhile until you get things sorted out,..that sounds like what is going on at this stage of the game ..learning how the new beast likes to breathe., and making adjustments to allow it to be more comfortable..LoL..Keep after it, and BTW, dosen't sound like you have had the time to drive/take temp readings yet..don't rush things ,the weekend will be here soon enough,sounds like engine temps are a little higher than normal,but,..don't ignore the high trans temp if present..let's get some cooler line temps..Good Luck!
I shut it down at 240 using the 13lb cap last week.

runs great.. no hesitation anywhere.. nice shifting. good kickdown. nice idle once it warms up.

like 50 miles on the engine.. using 30wt oil.. not changed since breakin
when we replaced the filter. thinking it might be time soon.

sam

Old 08-26-2009, 12:46 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You should probably change both oil and filter at 1000 miles. Also, I would be tempted with something High Compression to break it in with 10W 20 wt oil for the first 500 miles at least, then go up to 30 wt.

Ya know if you spend any more time on the computer trying to solve this, you won't have time to run the truck....problem solved!

Old 08-26-2009, 06:35 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
You should probably change both oil and filter at 1000 miles. Also, I would be tempted with something High Compression to break it in with 10W 20 wt oil for the first 500 miles at least, then go up to 30 wt.

Ya know if you spend any more time on the computer trying to solve this, you won't have time to run the truck....problem solved!
right, at 1000 miles!!.. as if I'll ever get there!..

as for the computer time.. I'm finding work is interfering with my fun time... and they want you to come EVERY DAY!!.. sheesh

Sam

Old 08-26-2009, 07:06 AM
captradiator
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sam,

The info about the transmission fluid being heated up by the coolant is NOT true.
With the cooler being in the lower tank, no radiator heat is in that area until AFTER the t-stat opens. I have talked with several transmission men and all agree that the transmission generates plenty of heat on its own.

Many of today's cars and trucks cool the transmissions with a separate cooler and NO cooler in the radiator

Old 08-26-2009, 07:51 AM
uc4me
Senior User
I know someone mentioned something earlier about your carburation, but I was wondering how the spark plugs looked?

Old 08-26-2009, 07:55 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by uc4me
I know someone mentioned something earlier about your carburation, but I was wondering how the spark plugs looked?
did it now..

left to right, 6, 7, 4

Sam

Attached Images    
Old 08-26-2009, 08:31 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by sdetweil

I was about to say that this rad has an a typical fill neck, mounted on the SIDE of the upper tank, not the top.. this might lead to a small, 1/2 by 3 by 15 in space of air in the top of the tank.

Sam
here is a side view of the rad filler neck.. that is 1 inch down from the top for the fill neck into the side.

Sam

Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2009, 08:38 AM
captradiator
Elder User
Sam,

That filler neck location is just fine. With the correct cap for a coolant recovery system, coolant sill be siphoned back into radiator at cool-down.

Old 08-26-2009, 08:52 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by captradiator
Sam,

That filler neck location is just fine. With the correct cap for a coolant recovery system, coolant sill be siphoned back into radiator at cool-down.
and we do get siphon back, altho the tank may be too small

Sam

Old 08-26-2009, 09:42 AM
captradiator
Elder User
Sam,

Yep, those chrome tanks are pretty, but really do not hold enough coolant.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:50 AM
twise
Senior User
The first thing that came to my mind was my 351C I had in my mustang. Had a cooling issue also, (mine was radiator cap) but after researching I had read several places that an engine with too much timing will run alot hotter also. Maybe you could look at that if you haven't already. Just giving my 2 cents. Good luck

Old 08-26-2009, 10:18 AM
Lance Hogan
More Turbo

Sam-

Thank you for posting pictures of your spark plugs. The porcelain section of the plug is an indicator of air/fuel mixture and they look good (tan color), but the grounding strap of your plugs concern me. The grounding strap is a timing indicator and looking at your plugs, I can see a definite color change prior to the apex which means that you have too much timing. Ideally, it is best for the color change to be right in the middle of the 90 degree bend. Based upon the appearance of your plugs, I would suggest that you back your timing off a little. This should definitely help you run cooler.
<O
Lance<O

Old 08-26-2009, 10:38 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by Lance Hogan
Sam-

Thank you for posting pictures of your spark plugs. The porcelain section of the plug is an indicator of air/fuel mixture and they look good (tan color), but the grounding strap of your plugs concern me. The grounding strap is a timing indicator and looking at your plugs, I can see a definite color change prior to the apex which means that you have too much timing. Ideally, it is best for the color change to be right in the middle of the 90 degree bend. Based upon the appearance of your plugs, I would suggest that you back your timing off a little. This should definitely help you run cooler.
<o></o>
Lance<o></o>
thanks.. is this a 2 degree or 5 degree type change?

I think we are at 12 degrees initial + 24 advance (all mechanical) = 36 total.

I found this MSD timing guidance chart

Sam

Attached Images  
Old 08-26-2009, 10:48 AM
Lance Hogan
More Turbo

Sam-

I would only change it 2 degrees and see how the engine likes the change (engine temp.). After giving your overheating problem some additional thought in relation to the way your plugs look, I believe your engine builder might have put the timing as far advanced as he/she reasonably could to make the horsepower numbers look the best. Since you are not racing or on the dyno, I would recommend backing the timing up 2 degrees. This adjustment might not completely solve your overheating problem, but should definitely help. Please let us know how the engine likes this change.
<O
Lance<O</O

Quick Reply: Solving an overheat problem