Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Appearance & Dress-Up
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2009, 08:54 AM
Senior User

sumbuddyloanmea.10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cleaning alloy wheels?

What's an easy, yet effective product/method of cleaning and polishing alloy wheels?
Old 08-14-2009, 12:36 PM

Beechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to beholdBeechkid is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumbuddyloanmea.10 View Post
What's an easy, yet effective product/method of cleaning and polishing alloy wheels?
Here's what I use to do with my mag (yes real magnesium) wheels (oh god am I showing my age)...

For polishing- I liked (and still use) a product called Flitz. It is a paste (like toothpaste) that has jewlers rouge in it. I used a cotton buffing pad with a carriage bolt to attach the pad to a drill and it would take about 10 minutes to bring the wheels to a chrome shine. the new foam-cone from Megquire's would probably work better than the cotton buffing pad for reaching into crevices. Jewelers rouge can also be purchased in a stick form and used to polish the rims up beautifully as well- just a preference.

What I do with all my chrome & aluminum wheels to day is after I get them cleaned & polished up, I spray them with a urethane clear with hardener in it. Clear powdercoating works well too but is a little more $. For spray can application, I have previousy used a product called "Wheel-Lac", that is a fast drying clear specifically for wheels (works very well)

For general maintance I like to apply a little spray on wax once a month or so and clean using a 50/50 mix of simple green with a drop of dish soap in a squirt bottle.
Old 08-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Post Fiend

ReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to beholdReAX is a splendid one to behold
Kind of like Beechkid pointed out, it depends on the finish. Clear coated alloys with a good clear coat clean up pretty well with a cleaner wax. I use Mother's Carnuba or Reflections on mine. If your wheels are bare, then the aluminum probably needs to be polished. There are a lot of good polishes available but start with the least abrasive and work up. Chrome plated should clean up with cleaner wax, but you may need to use a chrome polish.

</td><td> Look, see these two tow hooks? They look like tusks. And what kind of animal has tusks?</td></tr></table>
Old 08-15-2009, 12:08 AM
Senior User

sumbuddyloanmea.10 is starting off with a positive reputation.
They are bare metal. Aluminum I presume. I priced one of those Meguire ***** and dam! . . . pretty pricey.
I was hoping there was a majic formula out there that would take the place of good old elbow grease.
Old 08-16-2009, 08:20 AM
New User

jaydisto is starting off with a positive reputation.
try noxon its a metal polish i use it for all my chrome and wheels it works great you do apply it with a rag and wipe off but thats it very little effort
Old 08-16-2009, 08:20 AM