1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Looking for a good electrical guide book.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 04:44 AM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
Looking for a good electrical guide book.

I need to buy a good "how it works" , "how to" , and "best way" book. I am looking at Thunder Road Electrical Guide by Bill Sinclair. What are you guys (and Julie) using?
Bob

Old 07-25-2009, 06:34 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There is a little book written by Jack Sweeden called "How to Wire Your Streetrod from Start to Finish" that covers many basic wiring components. Several car/truck parts vendors carry it. Good little reference book.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:09 PM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
This is a pretty good one and it has an F100 on the cover

http://www.tperformance.com/street_rod_store/4200/367/

Old 07-26-2009, 01:08 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Well, I really don't use a book for wiring - per se. I've just been making all this stuff up and you guys believe it.

If a question comes up on a particular stock signal flow I will try to get ahold of a stock wiring diagram.

Outside of that, I guess I just rely on my own experience. Electricity is very simple (I know I keep saying that and you guys think I'm nuts) but it's just like plumbing - connecting the dots. It's funny but it's confusing until; one day it clicks then it all makes sense.

I might venture to say that we probably have one of the best documented specialized electrical librarys right here on FTE. I can't think of anything that hasn't been duscussed.

But also, I have found that the older books - like those written pre 1940 - the hard cover kind you find at swap meets and garage sales, are the easiest to understand because they are so fundamental. There wasn't too much in the way of electrical complexity then.

And also, as much as I hate to say this, technical publications were very much better written back then as well.

I know that doesn't help much. If you have a specific goal in mind - lets say to rewire your truck. I would start with a good diagram. It doesn't have to be stock, it's more important that it is simple, readable, and has the features on it you want. Build your own if you like - I did. If there are things you want to add, you can find them on different diagram transplant it to yours. When you have everything you want. Remember it looks like spaghetti both in the truck and on the drawing, but everything is powered by one wire that starts someplace and ends up someplace - it's that simple - one wire at a time.

For our trucks, I have some good generic diagrams that you could wire any truck to, and individual pictures of component wiring. Take a look in my #4 gallery. I have these on Power Point and am always willing to send them to folks. With the Power Point versions, you can enlarge them, but more important, you can modify them - change things for what You want.

And of course you can write anytime!

I know that didn't answer your question very well, but I hope it helps some!

Old 07-26-2009, 06:51 AM
turnrjr
Laughing Gas

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks for your thoughts. Julie your forgetting that your experience allows you to "just do it". I agree that a diagram is a basic requirement but the problem comes when you make changes or upgrade to what is printed. I am not savy about electricity. Stuff like wire sizes, best connection methods (solder or not), best location for components and junction blocks, using relays. I am good to go on 6 to 12 volt alternator conversion thanks to you and others here. My 54 with the 223 six came in pieces so basiclly I'm starting from scratch. Hope you all are here for the long haul. Im going to need you!
Bob

Old 07-26-2009, 09:47 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 469 Likes on 305 Posts
It all depends on whether you are looking for a "cookbook" or a book on electrical theory. It sounds like you want a little of both. Most folks can grasp the idea of hydromechanics (how fluids work) much better than electricity...that said, I try to explain electrical priniciples in term of water and pipes. Water pressure in a pipe is like voltage and water flow (volume) is like current. If you have a garden hose and you compress a section of the hose while water is flowing through it then the flow is restricted...this is the same as resistance in an electrical circuit.
I would suggest that you gain a basic understanding of Ohm's Law (E=IR) and then delve into the automotive-specific literature. One last thought...you can never have a wire that is too thick, if you have a question about using 18 ga or 16 ga always go with the heavier gauge. Good luck...

Old 07-26-2009, 06:57 PM
raerjim
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"The 12 volt Bible" is very good, small, and inexpensive.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:27 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by turnrjr
Thanks for your thoughts. Julie your forgetting that your experience allows you to "just do it". I agree that a diagram is a basic requirement but the problem comes when you make changes or upgrade to what is printed. I am not savy about electricity. Stuff like wire sizes, best connection methods (solder or not), best location for components and junction blocks, using relays. I am good to go on 6 to 12 volt alternator conversion thanks to you and others here. My 54 with the 223 six came in pieces so basiclly I'm starting from scratch. Hope you all are here for the long haul. Im going to need you!
Bob
Yep you are right I do rely on th eexperience, but believe it or not, I used to be absolutely stupid when it came to electricity....I knew nothing. Some of the guy us can just rebuild an overdrive or shim a ring and pinion, I can't. But, the wiring I know. I learn alot - still - by reading here. I think one of the things that makes it seem so complex is it is very intimidating to some folks.

As far as finding a good drawing then making changes goes, that's why I drew out my own in Power Point - so I could change them at will. I started with the drawings from the 51, then added things like one wire alternator, fuses etc. So it's a custom drawing. Like I said - just connecting the dots.

I would be tempted to get one of the books the guys have listed above, but maybe also take a class in electricity at the local Community College. It won't matter too much if it's car or house, etc, the theory is all the same, and it sounds like that is something you are looking for - the basics. You can also learn quite a bit just by reading through the electrical and troubleshooting sections of the Shop Manuals.