1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Trans service, just thought I'd share!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2009, 09:38 PM
fordmerc
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Trans service, just thought I'd share!!

Well, I just did a trans service on my 97 with the 4r70w. I hadn't done a service in around 35K which is longer than I like to go. I drained the torque conv. and dropped the pan and put a new filter in. I was able to get about 12.5 quarts of new fluid in it. The pan looked very clean with only a little "dust" on the magnet. There were no visible chunks in the filter. My last service, I used the supertech wal mart stuff and did the same this time. The old fluid had just started to look a little orange so not to bad. I am VERY happy considering the trans has 157K miles on it and still works very will.

Old 07-13-2009, 09:45 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
Received 117 Likes on 104 Posts
new oil works wonders. Our local Wal Mart did not carry MERCON V as of 6 months ago. Is that what you used, MERCON V?

Old 07-14-2009, 06:51 AM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by steve(ill)
new oil works wonders. Our local Wal Mart did not carry MERCON V as of 6 months ago. Is that what you used, MERCON V?
They all have for about 2 years now. The Supertech "high mileage" fluid meets Mercon V specs.
JL

Old 07-14-2009, 09:23 AM
Bear River
Former ******
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm aways sceptical of fluid that "meets xxx specs" Either it is MercV or its not. I always use the genuine Motorcraft oil. Not only is it right, but it more often that not, less expensive then the other brands.

Old 07-14-2009, 12:23 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Bear River
I'm aways sceptical of fluid that "meets xxx specs" Either it is MercV or its not. I always use the genuine Motorcraft oil. Not only is it right, but it more often that not, less expensive then the other brands.
Be skeptical if you wish. Ford pulled licensing rights to the Mercon V name a while back, and that's why you don't see anymore "Mercon V" alternate brands. I've been using the Supertech Mercon V spec fluid for well over 300K miles of use in 3 different vehicles.
JL

Old 07-14-2009, 06:05 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
i have no problme with aftermarket MERCON V as long as it is V and not straight MERCON or Dextron. WAl Mart dont make oil, either does FORD. Its the SPEC you want. V is synthetic oil, MERCON and DEXTRON III may not be.

Old 07-14-2009, 06:34 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
i have no problme with aftermarket MERCON V as long as it is V and not straight MERCON or Dextron. WAl Mart dont make oil, either does FORD. Its the SPEC you want. V is synthetic oil, MERCON and DEXTRON III may not be.
I'm with you guys on alternate brands which meet the Mercon V spec being OK, but will note that Mercon V is not necessarily synthetic. Even Motorcraft makes a non-synthetic and a full synthetic Mercon V, as I recall. We've talked about it in prior threads.

I'm guessing the synthetic is going to cost more, but would also be more resistant to high heat situations and stuff like that.

George

Old 07-14-2009, 09:18 PM
fordmerc
Elder User
I use regular mercon and have since I bought the truck 7 years and 90k miles ago. Trans still works as good as it did the day I bought it.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:38 PM
steve(ill)
Hotshot
your 97 probabaly came with MERCON from the factory. a couple years ago Ford said there going to discontinue MERCON and recommended upgrading all older vehicles to MERCON V when doing service. MERCON is a high quality oil, MERCON V is an upgrade from that. On the question of synthetic, i was under the opinion that V was synthetic oil and MERCON and DEXTRON were not. Im not sure a trans oil that "meets all specs" for MERCON, Dextron and V is porperly labeled if it is not a synthetic oil. THats probalby what Bear was refering to. I dont use "one size fits all" oils. I think it should be MERCON V labeled, which i think is synthetic. IT can be made by a generic manufacturer ---in my opinion.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/full...hp?tsb=06-14-4

Old 07-14-2009, 10:16 PM
Johnny Langton
Postmaster
your 97 probabaly came with MERCON from the factory. a couple years ago Ford said there going to discontinue MERCON and recommended upgrading all older vehicles to MERCON V when doing service. MERCON is a high quality oil, MERCON V is an upgrade from that. On the question of synthetic, i was under the opinion that V was synthetic oil and MERCON and DEXTRON were not. Im not sure a trans oil that "meets all specs" for MERCON, Dextron and V is porperly labeled if it is not a synthetic oil. THats probalby what Bear was refering to. I dont use "one size fits all" oils. I think it should be MERCON V labeled, which i think is synthetic. IT can be made by a generic manufacturer ---in my opinion.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/tsb/full...hp?tsb=06-14-4
MERCON V is a semi-synthetic blend.
JL

Old 07-15-2009, 10:59 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Mercon V is not necessarily syn or even a blend...

Originally Posted by Johnny Langton
MERCON V is a semi-synthetic blend.
JL
Here is the Motorcraft transmission fluid page. They have regular Mercon V, which is not at all synthetic, and Mercon V synthetic blend:

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...ssion%20Fluid]

As I said, there have been previous threads where this has been discussed ad nauseum. There are full syn and syn blend Mercon V fluids made by other mfrs, but Mercon V does not have to be synthetic and does not have to be a syn blend.

George