1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Manuel brake upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Ron_coach
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Manuel brake upgrade?

I would like to keep the original drum brakes, but I would also like to improve their performance. Is it possible to install a more efficient master cylinder? Maybe a duel system. If so what would be a good donor? This is for a '55 F-100.

Old 06-15-2009, 10:40 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,935 Likes on 1,876 Posts
I think it would be a great idea. I would say most any Ford dual chamber master cylinder will work as long as its from a drum brake system.

While you are upgrading you might consider adding self adjusters to each drum as well

Bobby

Old 06-16-2009, 07:03 PM
deyomatic
Senior User
Who is Manuel and why are you dueling with him? Leave the poor guy alone!

You absolutely should upgrade to a dual master cylinder if you're going to change it anyway. One site I saw said to check the sizing of your stock master cylinder and try to find a replacement with a similar size. You can get this info from either Advance Auto Parts website or Autozone...Autozone has gotten a much better site recently.

You may want to look into upgrading to power but you have to think about what works best with the under floor mount or possibly relocating yours...there kits that have already been engineered for your application but they tend to cost a bit more than piecing it together yourself. I've never had one under the floor so it might be easy since it won't be on display and you probably have a bunch of room with the geometry of the pedal.

You may also consider changing our your hoses to each wheel cylinder now, too. Then you don't have to worry about them and you only have to bleed them once.

Good luck.

Old 06-17-2009, 03:41 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
watch the ford master cylinders if your gonna run it under the floor as original , as i parted a 87 vic recently and kept it's for my homebrewed brake upgrades . the lines exit to the engine side of it and when you turn it around and try to install it below they run into the frame rail and the oe master cylinder mounting plate . unfortuneateley i went and had to get a gm unit as they're lines exit on the opposite side making installation a little easier without having to hack something . if you stay with the under cab i would strongly suggest using residual pressure valves in your lines . they keep a small amount of fluid and pressure in your lines making the pedal firmer and the brakes much quicker acting , as our oe stuff sits below the level of the rest of the brake system and the fliud will drain back down into the m/c giving you a spongy , slow acting pedal and system . you need 10 olb. valves for drums . new lines , hoses , all brake springs and hardware , and self adjusters from a 68-72 ford 1/2 ton ( direct drop in ) will go a long way towards improving the performance and reliability of them . but remember as i have found from using my 53 as a daily , after a few hard , panic stops the drums will fade and you lose much of your braking . so think and plan way ahead as you drive her round .

Old 06-19-2009, 06:56 PM
doug51f1
Elder User
I drove my 51 daily for over a year with stock brakes (single body master cylinder, 4 whl drum) and I have to say that if everything is right, it stops "ok", not great and not worth a crap when it's raining and the drums get wet. I recently parked my truck for a couple of months and when I got in and cranked it up, I had no brakes. So, I adjusted and bled them, and went back to driving with no problem. Had to make a quick stop, and almost didn't. I don't feel so nostalgic about drum brakes anymore. I am in the process of installing a CPP front disk conversion. I'll let you know how it turns out.