1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need weight estimates (slightly OT)

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:38 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Need weight estimates (slightly OT)

Ok, picking up my truck tomorrow, but I need some educated guessing on the weight of the compressor on the back of it.

Problem is I don't have a serial code right now so I have no idea what model I have. All I know is that it is a 6cyl compressor run by a 6cyl engine.

The engine has a damaged block, so if I have to cut weight thats teh first place to do it. The compressor itself is worth enough to pay for the truck.

I need estimates because of weight, the truck we're using can tow it, the trailer however might pop a tire if this thing weighs more than half a ton.

Problem is I can't get accurate information, heck it took me an hour to find out how much a F-600 weighs even with the magic of Google. Lot of guessing out there, which doesn't help when you have a limit, lol.

I might be able to move the compressor into the towing truck's bed, but thats A LOT easier said than done, and it might have to be done at night, but hopefully we can head out earlier so we have day light.

I'd like to keep it, like I said it's worth more than scrap, but if it weighs too much it might have to be left behind, which is going to be a lot of work getting it off there possibly. Cause if it weighs too much it's not exactly like it will be easy to pull off.

The information I have says that in 1956 the Schramm compressor around this size was 3900#s.(however I do NOT know if this is a compressor for 1956, nor have I seen one to compare it to, that was guessed off the truck year assuming the compressor was bought new the same year). I don't see 3900#s of steel. I mean a v8 weighs around 500#s, and unless they have 3" thick walls, I don't see this compressor being the one quoted to weigh that much. I blacksmith, I work with metal all day, but telling the difference from a a quarter ton to a ton in machinery, well a lot is in play thats not easy to tell.

I could use some experienced eyes with larger machinery, and why you think it weighs what it does. Hopefully I'll find that I am right and won't have to waste hours and money on removing stuff.

I'm heading out tomorrow, so I need some opinions before lunch so I can be a bit more educated when we go to do this.

If it makes a difference the outside duals are off (I'll probably put them in the towing truck's bed to help with weight) Anyone know what those monsters weigh?

And there is a strip of the bed missing where the compressor is. It's not much weight taken off, but its some, and I'm trying to consider everything.

Here, these should help estimate it:
It's big but not compared to that COE or the dump trucks:

Notice the guy in the background standing next to it:

Old 06-12-2009, 10:40 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Received 45 Likes on 28 Posts
Rough guess would be 1000 lbs. More for the flatbed.

Looks like diamond plate on the flatbed. That'll weigh quite a bit as well. If your trailer is a double axle, each with 7000 lb capacity, it might be close. Not sure how far you have to go, but I'd take it slow. We have a trailer at work like that, and I was gonna try hauling my uncle's F6, but decided against it on the side of caution. If that's what you have, I'd be interested to know how it works out.

Old 06-12-2009, 10:55 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Isn't that a stock flatbed on a '56? Or where they wood?

Old 06-12-2009, 10:57 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Doesn't look stock to me. No stake pockets.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Must have chopped it out when they put the compressor on. On'y 2/3rds of the bed would have it on though, it might even weigh the same as a stock bed, unless they put heavy duty stuff on.

but that there leds me to believe this truck didn't always carry this compressor, I would think the wood would be left if it was in new shape, no point in cutting it out and making a metal bed for it if it wasn't. Heck the compressor could be 20 years old only.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:31 PM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
The PO of my flatbed put 1/8" plate right over the wood and all and tack welded it all around, then torched out the stake pocket holes. I removed the plate which weighed just as much as the rest of the bed, if not more. But if the 2 sides are removeable, it might be worth removing them instead of the compressor itself.

Old 06-13-2009, 12:16 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
6-cyl industrial engine -- I'd guess about 700 lbs. dressed
I'd put the compressor at the same
Add a bedplate to mount it all ~ 400 lbs.
I think you're well over 1,000 lbs., closer to a ton

I could believe the 3900 figure, too

JMO

Old 06-13-2009, 12:48 AM
Stephen67
Postmaster
The main money is in the pistons and the crank shaft. I've never ripped those out before, if I had no care about the rest of it, how long do you think it would take to get them out of the compressor?

Maybe it would be easiest to just scrap everything but the actual 6cyl compressor. Getting a buyer for it even as is is going to be some work, the guy who deals parts in it was mainly interested in just the compressor. About $200 for the crankshaft, $150 for the pistons, then like $150 in odds and ends off it.

Old 06-13-2009, 09:31 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 610 Likes on 379 Posts
Originally Posted by Stephen67
The main money is in the pistons and the crank shaft. I've never ripped those out before, if I had no care about the rest of it, how long do you think it would take to get them out of the compressor?

Maybe it would be easiest to just scrap everything but the actual 6cyl compressor. Getting a buyer for it even as is is going to be some work, the guy who deals parts in it was mainly interested in just the compressor. About $200 for the crankshaft, $150 for the pistons, then like $150 in odds and ends off it.
Have you tried Craigslisting the complete unit? If it is in rebuildable condition, there is steady demand for this stuff, and they go for big bucks (as shown by the prices for the crank and pistons).

I think it's going to take some pretty hefty rigging to get that thing off there in one piece or in several. It might be easiest to unbolt the bed from the frame and pull the truck out from unde it!

Old 06-13-2009, 09:32 AM
havi
I'll have the Roast Duck
Originally Posted by Stephen67
I need estimates because of weight, the truck we're using can tow it, the trailer however might pop a tire if this thing weighs more than half a ton.
I would safely bet it'll total over 1000 lbs. Regardless of the actual weight, it will equal the weight of the front half of the truck preventing you to shift it fore or aft to make the back less than 1000 lbs.

If they have the equipment available there, maybe they can lift the whole flatbed w/compressor off, load the truck onto the trailer, then slowly lower the bed back on and watch for tire bulge. If it bulges, I'd ask to leave the compressor behind, and that you'll be back to get it in a return trip. Unless of course you're talking a long distance.

One more reason I wish I had a big forklift, lol.

Old 06-13-2009, 03:55 PM
Stephen67
Postmaster
Well, I'm off. Thanks for the help guys, guess we'll see how this works out!