1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

52 f6 stalls won't restart

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 08:00 PM
MIspecial
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
52 f6 stalls won't restart

Need a little help. My 52 f6 w/226 will start and idle fine but as soon as there is a load on the motor it stalls and no restart. I had the carb rebuilt at a shop and I replaced the fuel pump, it also has a new inline filter. It will idle smooth and rev up ok but it cuts out when driving. Also there is not much fuel visible in the clear fuel filter while running. Any ideas?

Old 06-11-2009, 08:59 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Do you have a vented gas cap? Take the gas cap off the tank and try it.

You may also have a blocked fuel line or junk in the tank at the outlet. If you are using rubber hose between the metal pieces, they can not be any more than a couple inches (like 6") long. If the gas cap thing doesn't work, I'd check the fuel line, for a strong flow.

Old 06-11-2009, 09:07 AM
54FordF1shortstep
Senior User
Sounds like a fuel problem if you find nothing there I would check the ignition coil maybe it is a little weak. I think julie is right about checking the fuel lines though.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:59 PM
MIspecial
New User
I'm pretty sure that the former owner ran 3/8" rubber line from the tank to the fuel pump and then up to the carb. I'm guessing that this collapes under suction that the pump creates? Can you get pre-bent metal line?

Old 06-12-2009, 10:22 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by MIspecial
I'm pretty sure that the former owner ran 3/8" rubber line from the tank to the fuel pump and then up to the carb. I'm guessing that this collapes under suction that the pump creates? Can you get pre-bent metal line?
Holy Cow!

I would say that's a pretty good guess.

I don't know if the pre-bent tubes are available. But I know you can buy the steel tubing, and a tube bendin gtool is not too expensive to get. I would try making my own - I did and it was easy!

Old 06-12-2009, 01:15 PM
MIspecial
New User
Ok thanks. Do you know if there is any type of screen in the gas tank? I am getting a bit of rust in the fuel bowl on the pump. But I'll start with the lines.

Old 06-12-2009, 01:37 PM
mclaughlinrp
Senior User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had this happen to me before. It sounds exactly like a fuel restriction. My problem was that someone had siphoned gas out with a rubber hose and dropped it in the tank. The hose softened and would slosh around the tank and occasionally block the pickup tube---no screen. It was intermittent and took forever to figure out what it was. My symptoms were exactly like yours...idle fine but would not take a load at all. In my case the filter was clean.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:23 PM
MIspecial
New User
Well, the fuel shut off on the bottom of the tank needs to be ALL the way open! It was only halfway open and getting only enough fuel to idle. It usually is the simple stuff that that causes problems. Oh well shes running fine now!

Old 06-16-2009, 09:48 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Outstanding!