Ranger & B-SeriesAll Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series modelsSPONSORED BY:
Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.
You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!
Does anyone have any idea how to go about fixing the blend door on a 1998 Ranger? Funny thing about this particular part, it costs only about $11 to $15 bucks but in order to fix it, it will cost close to $600 for labor. That's to take the dash out. I know that there was a way to go through the glove box but can't seem to find the instructions. Or if anyone can give me an idea on how to fix it better, please let me know.
Just another question, I saw a quick fix from a site listed in this forum called Heater Treater. Does anyone have any comments on the product listed on their site or has anyone used it? I don't want to spend $130 before hearing some feedback on this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Yeah, I wanted to use metal tape, but I couldn't find any. Trust me, the way I did it resulted in a mess, just on my hands though. So far, it works. I don't know about the long-term reliability, but we'll see.
The hardest part is cutting the whole in the bottom of the plenum. What you need to do is just cut the whole triangle out, don't try to cut just part of the middle out, because the door will not fit. I used a utility knife, which didn't make it any easier. A rotozip would cut it really nice, but the bits are pretty wide, so you would have larger gaps when you put it back in.
Super glue worked pretty well really, but I will put some foil tape on it asap.
Attatched are some pictures that I thought might help you.
The first three are from the donor truck. The angle is a bit funky, but it is looking up from the floor board into the bottom of the cut plenum. The third is a picture of the actuator.
The first picture is the finished picture of the replacement. When you are cutting the bottom out, make sure to cut the little round part out too (on the bottom left of the top picture), this is where the bottom hinge of the door rests.
The second picture is the door I took out, you can see that not only was mine broken at the top where the actuator hooks up, but also at the bottom of the hinge. Needless to say, the nail fix would not have worked for me. So... I did the "Traxxis" fix.
Gotta love the AC... my thermometer is showing 102.1*F right now.
Wow. Yeah, looks as if it will take some patience too. Umm, so cutting it out, I was just going to use a dremmel tool to do that job.
I plan on doing the job this weekend, hopefully the wife will stay out of my way. When she tries to "help", I always end up messing up on the job. I will let you know what the result are and then send pics. Thanks.
I will say though, there was one point where I was going to have my wife come out and help. When you go to put the door in the plenum, put the top in first. Problem is, there is nothing holding the door up there while you try to put the cut out piece back in. I suggest a second hand of some kind.
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.