1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

engine decisions

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 AM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
engine decisions

As I start on the next truck (56 this time), we are going to use the frame with the MII and leaf rear. We have boxed the frame all the way, and removed all the stock cross members for something cleaner..

before we place engine and mounts, I have to decide which engine to use..

I have 2 chevy engines, 454 and an EFI (TBI) small block.
also have 2 700-r4 OD trannys.

but.. having doubts on chevy in a ford. (Built Ford tough, with Chevy stuff!).

or do I go find a 351Windsor/AOD combo.. gotta be OD tranny.

Now. I had WANTED to do another showy engine..(like below) , so IF I do the SB I have, I can swap the engine later without having to redo everything. and save money now.. (or spend it on the BW conversion instead!)...

this is for a driver, not a show car.. (altho it will go to shows as well).

Sam

Old 05-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gee, Sam. At least this isn't a controversial question (LOL).

I love my Ford motor, but I am not personally offended by whatever engine make is installed in a Ford truck. My impression is that Chevy stuff is a lot more available and economical to build and maintain. I got that impression trying to find a serpentine belt setup for a 351C. The search made me wish I was running a Chevy anything.

Clearly, this is entirely your choice, but I have to ask what kind of daily driving are you are contemplating? 0-60 in 4.2? Go for the big block. Economical Highway? Go for the EFI SB. Absolutely use an overdrive tranny.

BTW, the engine pictured looks great!!! I just hate the idea of keeping all that bling shiny.

My 2 cents.

Let the opinion slinging begin!

Old 05-28-2009, 12:18 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

thanks Randy.. 0-60 in 4.2 doesn't seem all that reasonable (or possible) in a light weight rear end truck.

on the shiny .. yeh, seems stupid to drive it and get it dirty..

I agree on the serpentine/ford problem.. I had to make my own for my 460.

Sam

Old 05-28-2009, 12:45 PM
edzakory
Elder User
I find it paradoxical that many “darksiders” have no issue with putting Chevy or Chrysler parts in their Ford, e.g., Camero or Volare clips, but the engine/transmission is somehow sanctimonious to Ford.
<o></o>
For me, the answer is a no-brainer; it would be the Chevy SB. For starters, you have it. Add to that performance, reliability, and parts availability, then what more is needed for one to decide?
<o></o>
It’s your truck. And if you choose to take the road less traveled, it may make all the difference (paraphrase RF).

Old 05-28-2009, 12:55 PM
BlueOvalRage
Cargo Master

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
(sigh) I truly miss the days when mentioning Chevy anything on this board was against the rules and discussing this kind of thing was forbidden. Now we've even got to put up with advertisements for Chevy trucks and the new Camaro in the banner ads. I guess it's all about the money now. It sure was nice when this was still a FORD truck website.

ANYWAYS! You're asking a question that will get you nothing but emotional opinions and very little useful help. Sorta like stripping down to your boxers and whacking a hornet's nest with a baseball bat. But since you asked:

You'll never start a controversy, **** anybody off, or get insulted and have someone walk away from your truck and the rest of your effort at a car show if you use a Ford powertrain in a Ford.

The performance aftermarket for Ford is basically equivalent to GM makes these days and so are the prices.

It's just as easy to find a good Ford powertrain at a reasonable price as it is to find a Brand X powertrain.

The newer stock and aftermarket head designs make it easy and relatively inexpensive to build a Ford powerplant that will suck the parts right out of a Chevy motor's tailpipe.

Old 05-28-2009, 01:03 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Originally Posted by BlueOvalRage
(sigh) I truly miss the days when mentioning Chevy anything on this board was against the rules and discussing this kind of thing was forbidden. Now we've even got to put up with advertisements for Chevy trucks and the new Camaro in the banner ads. I guess it's all about the money now. It sure was nice when this was still a FORD truck website.

ANYWAYS! You're asking a question that will get you nothing but emotional opinions and very little useful help. Sorta like stripping down to your boxers and whacking a hornet's nest with a baseball bat. But since you asked:

You'll never start a controversy, **** anybody off, or get insulted and have someone walk away from your truck and the rest of your effort at a car show if you use a Ford powertrain in a Ford.

The performance aftermarket for Ford is basically equivalent to GM makes these days and so are the prices.

It's just as easy to find a good Ford powertrain at a reasonable price as it is to find a Brand X powertrain.

The newer stock and aftermarket head designs make it easy and relatively inexpensive to build a Ford powerplant that will suck the parts right out of a Chevy motor's tailpipe.
funny that last one!!

Sam

Old 05-28-2009, 01:11 PM
ssj7kids
Elder User
I ask more questions than I answer... because I have more questions than answers...

BUT even when I ask a question or want an opinion... the final decision is MINE and it's MY TRUCK, and I'll cry if I want to.... Oh, sorry.

I continue to try and resist the DARKSIDE, as most of you know, (recent engine mods aside, though it is still a FORD FLATTIE.) And my truck will be 99% stock when I'm done.
My OPINION is 1) It's your truck, who cares a flip what others think...
2) I would never (never say never) put a c***y in my Ford.
3) Budget is a BIG consideration with me... you have an engine you could use, use it, 4) OR better yet, sell the c***y engine and use the money to get a real one.

But that's just my opinion.

Go for it, what ever 'it' is.

JUST TAKE PICTURES...

And if anyone is keeping track, my engine guy didn't put the valves in this week, no surprise here.

Old 05-28-2009, 02:14 PM
sparky
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well ........my opinion........ although it may not mean much to anyone being I am considered a darksider/rodder/whatever........I am a firm believer in "using what ya got".............. it is your truck after all............. use to be a sin to mention Chevy engines here............ maybe it still is........ but they are good engines...... and sound great with the right goodies.........that being said I had a good 351W/C6 and a personally rebuilt 302/FMX so guess what lives in my 53............. "there is no replacement for displacement" may have ended different if I had a good running 350/TH350 at the time.....
not much help am I...........

Old 05-28-2009, 03:21 PM
granadojl
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Like most ford owners here, I know how it is building on a budget. I have 8000 into a 347 stroker that is still sitting in the backyard for over a year... Since you have two engines already... That might be the obvious choice. Might make a few people angry, but it will run. I stick to my guns and only buy Ford, hence my '57 still sitting in the backyard. Maybe that will give a little insight. Good Luck

Old 05-28-2009, 03:32 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

Thanks.. I guess I'm looking for feedback on experience..

I see lots of comments on 6's, Y-blocks, Flatties, some 460 (like mine)..

not much on 351windsor or cleveland. nor on the c**vy family.

(altho both the ford trucks next to me at the show a couple weeks ago both had chevy engines)..

sam

Old 05-28-2009, 04:24 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Ford in a Ford - Same Same Chevy-Mopar
If you have an Orphan Make then it's a toss up.
Just my $27.50

Old 05-28-2009, 05:08 PM
flatheadjohn
Senior User
For what it's worth I have a Merc flathead in one of my 52 F-1s and an SBC in my other 52. The only reason I went with the SBC is because first it was a freebie from a friend and had low mileage, secondly it is what I had sitting around. I believe in using what you have rather than going out and spending a ton of money on something else. Since it going to be a daily driver I'd go with the SBC as parts are readily available everywhere and you want something reliable. Now before everyone gets their undies in a wad I'm not saying a Ford is less reliable because I know it isn't, all I'm saying is for the sake of daily driving and the fact that he already has them at his disposal. Lastly it's your truck and run what you want not what other people think you should run.

Old 05-28-2009, 05:11 PM
sdetweil
Hotshot

I won't ever do anything cause someone else said I should. I know I've seen lots of rods with chevy drivetrain, cause it is easy to get and enhance. ;ater model 302/5.0 excepted.

I did get the SBC and 700r4 OD tranny for free (for the effort of removing it from the wrecked van).

sam

Old 05-28-2009, 05:31 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Mostly what 'Rage said. I used to get into some emotional threads here on this subject. To me, an old style SBC is mind numbingly boring. Truck shows around here will yield that combo 75% of the time. All that said, my carbed 302 is overdone as well. I wish I had at least done a 5.0 injected.

If I was to do mine over today, I would probably go with a stroked 351W. Insane torque for reasonable price, in a non-bigbock engine. Love my big blocks, but my truck doesn't have the proper IFS for it, nor the frame IMO.

Second choice is something injected. 5.0, 4.6 etc. If you are doing something non-Ford, at least do something imaginative. Harley Davidson , Yota RAV4 V6, CAT Diesel LOL...... ANYTHING but a 75 Monte Carlo engine.

Old 05-29-2009, 09:56 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I went the SBC route in my 48 because I already had the engine and was on a budget. My current project is a 49 and I'm definitely going Ford on this one. I've lined up a 302 and automatic for it.

Quick Reply: engine decisions