General Automotive Discussion

98 Chevy Pickup-bad engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 04:32 PM
hofuf
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98 Chevy Pickup-bad engine

OK, I've got 4 Fords and 1 Chevy. The Chevy decided to give up the ghost this morning. It's a 1998 K1500 pickup with the 4.3l V6 engine and is 4X4 automatic.

The engine started knocking pretty bad after I got off of the interstate this morning and I had it towed to my mechanic. He told me he was sure it was a rod bearing and estimates $5000 for a replacement engine from Chevrolet-total cost.

My questions: Does $5k sound reasonable? Is there another option such as a used engine that wouldn't be too risky? Should I consider changing to the 350 engine and would it cost much more?

Thanks for your help.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:46 PM
snipAR-15
Senior User
Originally Posted by hofuf
OK, I've got 4 Fords and 1 Chevy. The Chevy decided to give up the ghost this morning. It's a 1998 K1500 pickup with the 4.3l V6 engine and is 4X4 automatic.

The engine started knocking pretty bad after I got off of the interstate this morning and I had it towed to my mechanic. He told me he was sure it was a rod bearing and estimates $5000 for a replacement engine from Chevrolet-total cost.

My questions: Does $5k sound reasonable? Is there another option such as a used engine that wouldn't be too risky? Should I consider changing to the 350 engine and would it cost much more?

Thanks for your help.
Id go used. If its not a Daily driver or primary truck then that could save some money.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Old93junk
Post Fiend
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Swap it out with a good salvage yard motor, most cost effective route.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:32 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Five grand is absurd!

A GM Performance crate engine is about two grand out of Summit, which is typical.
If he gets more than a grand to swap it including miscellaneous parts, find another mechanic.

A 350 is comparable in price, and the external accessories fit. I'd install a 350 for the additional torque.

Old 05-09-2009, 12:15 AM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
Five grand is a little overpriced....but if he priced a V6 it will be more than a V8...sounds kinda dumb....but there are more cores for 8's than 6's cause most people just junk a V6 anyway. (Found that out a few years back) But to drop a V8 in could be even more depending on what set up you got. Since its a 98, its gonna be comp controlled. That means a whole new harness for a V8 and a computer for a V8, plus any type of accessory (water pump, starter, exhaust manifolds and pipes, brackets for alt and A/C if equipped) that wont bolt on due to swapping in a V8. Plus you will need another trans as the V6 trans wont bolt up to the 8 either. Now if you really wanted a V8, find a local salvage yard that you can get a decent running V8 and all the other goddies along with it. (Harness, computer, trans and al the accessories.)

Old 05-09-2009, 08:05 AM
hofuf
Elder User
Originally Posted by monckywrench
Five grand is absurd!

A GM Performance crate engine is about two grand out of Summit, which is typical.
If he gets more than a grand to swap it including miscellaneous parts, find another mechanic.

A 350 is comparable in price, and the external accessories fit. I'd install a 350 for the additional torque.
Thanks for everyone's replies.

The mechanic called me back and said his final quote is $4400 after running the numbers. I called another shop that I had done business with for many years and he said $4900 without making the calculation. These quotes are for GM engines with 3 year/100,000 mile warranties. I don't yet know the cost of labor versus parts and will ask that on Monday. I do want make the truck very dependable because I use it for hunting and drive it to work quite a lot.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:00 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
Originally Posted by hofuf
Thanks for everyone's replies.

The mechanic called me back and said his final quote is $4400 after running the numbers. I called another shop that I had done business with for many years and he said $4900 without making the calculation. These quotes are for GM engines with 3 year/100,000 mile warranties. I don't yet know the cost of labor versus parts and will ask that on Monday. I do want make the truck very dependable because I use it for hunting and drive it to work quite a lot.
Did you ask about overhauling the bottom half of the engine and bolting your old heads and etc. back on?

When the engine went bad in my '88 F-150, the block was cracke din three places. I bought a short block, the mechanic then did a valve job, new springs and suck and bolted it all back together. I now have 105K on this engine and the heads have 205K them.

Additionally, you should consider replacing the engine mounts, water pump and all of the engines external components while the motor is on the hoist. You'll be much happier.

Tim

Old 05-09-2009, 09:30 AM
hofuf
Elder User
Originally Posted by tseekins
Did you ask about overhauling the bottom half of the engine and bolting your old heads and etc. back on?

When the engine went bad in my '88 F-150, the block was cracke din three places. I bought a short block, the mechanic then did a valve job, new springs and suck and bolted it all back together. I now have 105K on this engine and the heads have 205K them.

Additionally, you should consider replacing the engine mounts, water pump and all of the engines external components while the motor is on the hoist. You'll be much happier.

Tim
That's what I was hoping for but he basically told me they don't overhaul engines any longer. I'm assuming the hourly labor rate would eat up the cost of the new engine.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:04 AM
Ship Boy
Temporarily Deactivated
I agree with the others that a good used engine is the best way to go. You will find that the price for a used one can vary according to the condition. I bought a used engine for a 97 KIA and it only cost 450 bucks and had a garantee to run. Be sure to check the used engine YOURSELF before you install it. Look at the plugs for signs of rust (blown head gasket) and make sure all of the sensors/connections are the same so you wont have any OBD11 issues.

Old 05-09-2009, 03:09 PM
hofuf
Elder User
Does anyone know of a good place to buy an engine if I do go with a new one? I'm not looking for anything more than standard equipment.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:43 AM
Autoglass
Posting Guru
Around here it's Jasper. They do rebuilt engines and transmissions!
And they have a warranty.

www.jasperengines.com

Old 05-10-2009, 09:32 AM
Chaosracing
Posting Guru
2nd on Jasper.....I helped a friend put a Jasper 7.3 Power Stroke in his pickup after his self destructed (had about 400,000 miles on it) Came complete with everything except stuff like alt, power steering pump, a/c pump...stuff like that.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:48 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
"I don't yet know the cost of labor versus parts and will ask that on Monday."

Post the actual engine GM part number.

Old 05-10-2009, 08:22 PM
hofuf
Elder User
Originally Posted by monckywrench
"I don't yet know the cost of labor versus parts and will ask that on Monday."

Post the actual engine GM part number.
Will do. thanks

Old 05-11-2009, 10:48 PM
jake00
FTE is my crack
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
5k buys ya a decent used truck with a running motor.....

Quick Reply: 98 Chevy Pickup-bad engine