1983 - 2012 Ranger & B-Series All Ford Ranger and Mazda B-Series models

2003 Ford Ranger wont start

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 10:41 PM
Jakex1990
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Ford Ranger wont start

Okay so the other day my ranger wouldnt start after i got off work, it would turnover only occasionaly but now it wont even do that. I've tried the fule turn on/off switch underneath the passsanger glove box. I unscrewed the fuel like valve cap and pressed the pin but the fuel like barely squirted out so does it mean my fuel pump is bad or what?? any questions or suggestions please help.

Old 05-06-2009, 11:23 PM
sfcwoodret
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The starter needs to be also checked.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:44 PM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakex1990
Okay so the other day my ranger wouldnt start after i got off work, it would turnover only occasionaly but now it wont even do that. I've tried the fule turn on/off switch underneath the passsanger glove box. I unscrewed the fuel like valve cap and pressed the pin but the fuel like barely squirted out so does it mean my fuel pump is bad or what?? any questions or suggestions please help.
Welcome to FTE.

Good idea to check the fuel pump inertia switch & schrader valve for fuel pressure.

I'm not real clear on what you mean by "it would turn over occasionally, but won't even do that now ". Do you mean that the starter motor cranks the engine ok, but it won't try to fire & run, or do you mean that the starter motor isn't cranking the engine over at all now????

The low squirt pressure fuel test you did at the schrader valve, kinda makes me believe you mean the engine cranks ok, but doesn't want to start & run.

If you can't hear the fuel pump run for about 2 seconds & shut off, when with the ignition switch you go from Off to KOER, (but not to the start/crank position, that runs the starter motor) then check the fuel pump relay power fuse in the cabin fuse panel.

If it's ok, but you still can't hear the fuel pump run when you go to KOER, then check/thump the fuel pump power relay in the under hood power distribution box, located drivers side, back on the inner fender, accross from the brake master cylinder.

If thumping it won't wake it up & run the fuel pump at KOER, try swapping it with a like relay not needed to run the engine, say the A/C power relay & see if the fuel pump will run & the engine will start. If so replace the old fuel pump power relay.

If that doesn't wake the fuel pump up so that you can hear it run at KOEO, try thumping the fuel pump at the tank & see if that'll wake it up.

If you can hear the fuel pump run at KOEO & the starter motor cranks the engine ok, but it still wont fire & run, maybe suspect a clogged fuel filter, or pinched or clogged fuel line, or in tank fuel pump pre filter screen. So do a KOEO & KOER fuel pressure test at the fuel rail schrader valve & post the fuel pressure readings.

If you have a scantool or code reader, do a computer scan for trouble codes & post ALL of the code numbers found & the test sequence in which they were found.

A whole bunch more things for pondering, let us know what you find.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Tomm
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you find that your fuel pump has puked out on you and plan on changing the pump yourself, as I just had to do with my 2002 Ranger, don't drop the tank...pull your bed off and change the pump in place. Six bolts...one wiring plug...lift the bed...place the rear fender 36 inches back on a set of horses...set the front of the bed on the rear tires and have at it. Piece of cake. By the way, don't sweat the broken clips on the fuel lines, they can be replaced with a double layer of zip ties, just make sure the lines can't be forced off before you put the bed back on and your back in business.

Old 11-13-2010, 12:47 PM
bubbarino
New User
I have went through everything that #3 stated. New relays & fuses, new fuel filter and still cannot get any fuel to engine. Truck will start if I blast starter fluid into Injector and then die again when burned...is this the pump? No noise at KOER at all. I only have 54,000 on truck, I cannot see fule pump going that soon?

Old 11-13-2010, 02:44 PM
03 Maz B23
Elder User
Are you getting a flashing anti theft security light while attempting to start? Maybe the key with chip isn't being read. Have a spare key to try? Not sure about the Ford setup but on GM passkey it kills power to fuel pump while still letting it crank normally. If not that then probably the fuel pump. Did you try tracing wiring going back to it to confirm 12 volts?

Old 11-13-2010, 04:01 PM
bubbarino
New User
Yes. I have traced wiring and all fine. have tried the different key thing also...Thanks for the suggestions

Old 11-13-2010, 06:02 PM
pawpaw
If you can't hear the fuel pump run for a couple of seconds at KOEO, before you crank the engine, do a voltage check at the in cabin inertia switch electrical connector, to make sure you have B+ at least that far at KOEO.

If you do have B+ at the inertia switch for a couple of seconds at KOEO, then try thumping the fuel pump with a broom handle, or try thumping the bottom of the fuel tank with your fist & see if the pump will wake up.

If not, then you'll need to pull the bed as bubbarino suggested & disconnect & check for B+ at the fuel pump electrcal connector, while a helper switches the ignition from off to KOEO.
If the conectors contacts look to be corroded, clean it up & see if the pump wll run. If not, suspect the pump.

Let us know what you find.

Old 08-30-2012, 08:38 PM
steveb04083
New User
'05 Ranger emergency fuel shut-off switch

My '05 ranger was fine when I parked in the morning and cranked fine but wouldn't fire when I tried to start to drive home. I checked fuses and relays and sprayed either in the intake. That made it run for a second but it wasn't getting any fuel.
After reading this forum I read my owners manual more closely and discovered the emergency fuel shut-off switch inside the passengers side fuse box opening.
Once I pushed it the dash lights changed and it started on the first crank. This switch is designed to stop the flow of gas in the event of an accident. I think one of you called it the inertia switch but I didn't recognize that terminology. I have to attribute this event to my backing down hill into a curb as I was parking. Not really that much of a jar, but maybe it was enough.
My thanks to this forum for helping me save a stupid service bill!

Old 08-31-2012, 07:21 AM
pawpaw
Originally Posted by steveb04083
My '05 ranger was fine when I parked in the morning and cranked fine but wouldn't fire when I tried to start to drive home. I checked fuses and relays and sprayed either in the intake. That made it run for a second but it wasn't getting any fuel.
After reading this forum I read my owners manual more closely and discovered the emergency fuel shut-off switch inside the passengers side fuse box opening.
Once I pushed it the dash lights changed and it started on the first crank. This switch is designed to stop the flow of gas in the event of an accident. I think one of you called it the inertia switch but I didn't recognize that terminology. I have to attribute this event to my backing down hill into a curb as I was parking. Not really that much of a jar, but maybe it was enough.
My thanks to this forum for helping me save a stupid service bill!
Welcome to FTE.

Good find, fix, feedback on your trouble shoot & to hear the info proved useful.