Starter solenoid wires are smoking - 56' F-100

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Fiddy 6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Starter solenoid wires are smoking - 56' F-100

Hows everybody doing, i have a little issue here...Im not quite sure where i should start here when it comes to fixing it...Something leads me to believe its a starter issue, but then theres people who tell me to lean towards the alternator and my grounds...

I will break everything down into details where my issue started...Itll be a long read

- This past weekend i pull my 1956 Ford F-100 outside just to run a little bit since it hasnt been driven for awhile. When i go to start it the engine turns over once and then cuts out completely for about 3-4 seconds before it starts to turn over again...This is a continuing issue ive been having as well...

- I stay outside for about 5 minutes before going back inside while leaving the truck running outside...

- I come back outside after about 15minutes to turn it off and i notice a small amount of white smoke coming out of the vents in the dashboard, obviously coming from the engine bay..So i shut the truck off

- I find a buddy (about 10 minutes later) to help me open the hood (its a tilt setup, requires two people to open)

- By the time we open the hood whatever was smoking has already stopped

- I try and start it again...This time the engine turns over REALLY slow, as if the battery had no juice what so ever...I let it turn over a few times like that and i couldnt get it started

- I tried a few more times...Still turning over really slow as if there was no juice...

- I finally get it started...It runs for about 45 seconds and stalls....

- I try and start it again...Once again turning over REALLY slow...

- After trying two times a cloud of smoke comes off the engine bay

- The smoke is pouring off of the wire for the starter solenoid which is located on the firewall

- The wires were smoking hot (no pun intended) and couldnt even be touched

- I havent tried to start the truck since in fear something will go up in flames

Im not quite sure where to go at this point and what could be the problem, a lot of people tell me its a starter issue...Mainly due to the fact i have been having that issue where i turn the key and the engine turns over once and then cuts out for a few seconds before turning over again...A lot of people tell me thats defiantly a starter problem...And that if theres a problem with the starter it could also be drawing all the juice from the battery (reason as to why i have to replace the battery if i dont start it in a month) and that there could also be a short in the starter leading to the short on the solenoid wires...

Some people have also told me it could be a bad alternator pushing out to many volts...I dont really remember noticing it being high though...

One thing that boggles me too is, why would the wires be smoking 15-20minutes after the truck was already started? Wouldnt the starter have pretty much served its purpose and not be pushing any juice to the solenoid?

Im not really a mechanical guy so any help is greatly appreciated

Old 04-30-2009, 08:38 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,682 Likes on 1,359 Posts
I would suspect a starter problem too. Also check all your connections on the large wires. Take them off and inspect them for corrosion and heat damage.

The alternator has nothing to do with the smoking problem because it's when the vehicle is being started.

Old 05-01-2009, 05:31 PM
Fiddy 6
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any suggestions of a good starter, if that is indeed the problem? How are Powermaster starters, ive seen ads for them all over the place.

Old 05-01-2009, 06:57 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,682 Likes on 1,359 Posts
Good stock starter is all you need unless you have a racing engine that's hard to turn over.