1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

overloads

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2009, 12:23 AM
surveyguy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
overloads

heya

When i put my 2000# camper on my truck, the overloads are not touching, about 2 inches away (it varies). I don't see this as doing any good, possibly because i have timbrens. I'm considering building some blocks to go on the stops, taking out the factory rubber piece. My truck has been lifted about 2.5" (matching an F350).

Thanks for suggestions!

Guy

Old 04-25-2009, 06:09 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,429 Likes on 1,022 Posts
there is nothing wrong. Overloads are there for heavy loads. 2000 lbs is not that heavy

Old 04-25-2009, 08:43 AM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
You could try to tighten the timbrens down, but they're acting as your overload. Supersprings makes a bump stop (super sway stops) that is supposed to do what you're talking about. I've also seen a picture of someone removing the factory rubber stopper, bolting a 2" square tubing there and attaching the oem rubber to the bottom of the tubing to take up the gap.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:21 AM
GregsSD
Posting Guru
Your Timbrens are working as your overloads (just as they are supposed to).

If you didn't have the Timbrens then the rear of your truck would probably be squatting down onto the factory overloads. Are you have any problems with it the way it is now because it sounds like it's working normal to me.

Old 04-25-2009, 10:31 AM
surveyguy
Senior User
thanks peeps!

Old 04-25-2009, 11:00 AM
dchamberlain
Lead Driver

Received 665 Likes on 425 Posts
I put a 3000 pound Lance slide in camper on mine and it makes contact with one end of the overloads but not the other. But the thing is, as I go down the road, their is enough sway that that other end is making contact, and dampening the sway.

Old 04-25-2009, 11:32 AM
ruschejj
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Sounds like you don't need them but the air bags are a great product if you want to have them in case you need them.

You can hook them up to inflate together so your load bearing is equal, or, you can make them independent and use them to compensate for an uneven load.

Just a thought, and, another option for a mod on your truck.

Old 04-25-2009, 12:38 PM
surveyguy
Senior User
thanks gents! I had bags for my F150. they mount differently and are smaller. some guy's on RV.NET are having trouble with leaks after 3-5 years with their bags, so i'm glad to have the overloads. Timbrens sure help a lot, but i may as well be using the overloads during sway too. there are some bumpers to put there, and some guy's have used composite decking or aluminum. I'm pretty close, 2" on 3, have contact on one end of one leaf. I think i'll even them out with a slight block.

My main goal is just as you say David, I'm hoping this will help some of the sway, and save me the $250 on getting a rear stabilizer. Need new shocks too. And maybe a second job... (Garrett 38R, DPtuner, Guages, Tires...)

Old 04-25-2009, 12:58 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
What kind of lift do you have in the back? If its an add-a-leaf then you might be further from the factory overloads to begin with. If its just a block then its the Timbrens acting as the overloads, which is a good thing.

Old 04-25-2009, 08:41 PM
surveyguy
Senior User
The "lift" is just like it was a 350, the big blocks the same size that are in the F350. the overloads look like they belong in a one-ton too. I think i'm just farther from the overloads because of the lift. No worries. just wanted to have them engage as i "sway" to form as anti-sway. thanks guru's!
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...1.cfm#22686404

Old 04-26-2009, 12:03 AM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by surveyguy
The "lift" is just like it was a 350, the big blocks the same size that are in the F350. the overloads look like they belong in a one-ton too. I think i'm just farther from the overloads because of the lift. No worries. just wanted to have them engage as i "sway" to form as anti-sway. thanks guru's!
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Photo Thread - Post a Photo of Your Truck Camper Here
Changing to F350 blocks won't affect the overload height since the block is below the spring. Its probably just from the Timbrens making contact first. How much clearance do the overloads have unloaded? I have about 2.5" between the spring and the pads for comparison. On a side note, how do you like those Timbrens? Been debating between those and air bags on my dads towing truck, but no onboard air yet.

Old 04-26-2009, 04:36 AM
surveyguy
Senior User
'll have to check the gap next time i have the camper off. right now it's on (just getting it all ready for the camper now).

I see youre in corvallis, i'm down here in springfield!

i really like the timbrens, got them cheap on ebay used. they really made a big difference, and they are passive, not mechanical, meaning hardly a chance of failure like an air leak for peace of mind. Empty, there is some space between the stop and the rubber. They're real easy to mount up, and those factory ones are never gonna connect unless you do like that 1/2 ton chevy did. if you didn't see it, here it is:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=96785

scroll down a bit and you'll see it.

Guy

Old 04-26-2009, 05:38 AM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I have the timbrens on my new '09 Chassis cab. I also have the 1" spacer that came with the timbrens installed. Timbrens are about 1/2" away from bump perch when unloaded.

My suspension behaves just as you are describing. The factory overloads never touch the overload stops. Loaded truck rides on main leaf pack and timbrens.

Does yours have any spacers. I would do something like you and others mentioned about putting in a spacer for the overload stops. I won't take out my timbren spacers because then the timbrens would make contact later. The truck would engage the factory overloads but it will sag more.

Old 04-26-2009, 12:26 PM
surveyguy
Senior User
i don't have the spacers for the timbrens, i'm still considering putting in blocks above the overloads, least to contact just barely as camper is level. Thanks!

Old 04-29-2009, 11:17 AM
surveyguy
Senior User
figured out how to solve my problem innexpensively. reuse the bump stops where my timbrens went. a perfect fit!!! sure helped my ride (because i don't have anti-sway and i don't have airbags)

Quick Reply: overloads