Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Generic Electronic Module (GEM)

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 03:03 PM
Pitcrw6
Logistics Pro
Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I think the VSM ties into the pedal assy some how but im not to sure. I have a diagram on my computer but right now im on my phone. Maybe someone can post it up. I wish you can attach pics on the mobile version of FTE. Sure would be nice.

Old 12-11-2012, 12:59 AM
Nsaan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Engalwood
Then some times I have to hit the center temp reader on the roof of the cab to get it to come on. Its right above the rear view mirror.
This is a separate issue, more then likely it is a resistor that come unsoldered from the display board.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/4...-gone-out.html

Old 12-11-2012, 07:45 AM
Engalwood
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SO no one has any mo effn flippn dang on idea what would be causing my Acc Pedal to do what its doing?

Old 05-31-2014, 01:39 PM
bigtexan99
Laughing Gas
Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts
I've developed a battery drain on my early 99. The alternator is not warm in the morning, so I don't think its the cause. Disconnected auxillary lines I have connected to the battery and the trailer wiring at the rear bumper....battery still partially drains overnight.

Thinking it might be the GEM, although I don't have any of the erratic symptoms others have seen with a faulty GEM.

Is there a fuse I can pull that will kill power to the GEM or do I have to remove it as per the instructions at the beginning of this post? Would like to leave it disconnected overnight and see if there is any drain.

Old 12-14-2014, 09:06 PM
cowboy_up_07
Freshman User
01 F350 7.3l dually needs an exorcist!

Hello every one. I have a 01 F350 dually 4x4 automatic tranny with a 7.3L And the problem I am having is only when it raining. The day time running lights stay on unless I pull the fuse, and the horn will just start blowing but stops when you open the door and starts again when it's closed, the blower motor keeps running unless turned off, all of this when the truck is off and the keys out of the ignition. Also the speedometer works off and on when driving. There is a clicking noise coming from under the dash on the right hand side behind the ashtray area that was not there before when cranking the motor.
The truck now is having starting issues also in the cold weather even if it's plugged in it will crank over fine. But no start if you are cranking it for like 15 seconds each time on the third attempt the batteries dies. Then some times when I turn the key there is nothing no click From the starter or the solenoid but if you turn the key of and on a few times it will crank.
I have looked at everything I can think of as far as fuses but have not found anything. This is only when it's raining other than that the runs great when it's not wet outside. I have not seen any or noticed any dampness under the dash.
I am at my wits end any help I can get will be greatly appreciated thank you

Last edited by cowboy_up_07; 12-14-2014 at 09:08 PM. Reason: More info
Old 12-14-2014, 09:20 PM
cowboy_up_07
Freshman User
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY OUTLAW
I cut and tried splicing then used a harness so yes and true
should never cut the stereo harness on a ford , it messes them up. I have done it a couple times before when I was a kid. So when I turned on the headlights with out the key in the truck the stereo would come on. Even when I wired the original plugs back on and used a installation kit the problem was still there even with the factory radio back in.
So always buy an install kit if changing stereo.

Last edited by cowboy_up_07; 12-14-2014 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Info
Old 12-14-2014, 09:30 PM
InOverMyHead
Freshman User
There are 3 relays about where the ashtray is, left of the stereo-right of the steering column- above the floor heater duct, hazard flashers or something like that. There's also a good chance the GEM has been compromised. I had some electrical issues and found it was a combination of the two.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:27 PM
ztodd377
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cowboy_up_07
Hello every one. I have a 01 F350 dually 4x4 automatic tranny with a 7.3L And the problem I am having is only when it raining. The day time running lights stay on unless I pull the fuse, and the horn will just start blowing but stops when you open the door and starts again when it's closed, the blower motor keeps running unless turned off, all of this when the truck is off and the keys out of the ignition. Also the speedometer works off and on when driving. There is a clicking noise coming from under the dash on the right hand side behind the ashtray area that was not there before when cranking the motor.
The truck now is having starting issues also in the cold weather even if it's plugged in it will crank over fine. But no start if you are cranking it for like 15 seconds each time on the third attempt the batteries dies. Then some times when I turn the key there is nothing no click From the starter or the solenoid but if you turn the key of and on a few times it will crank.
I have looked at everything I can think of as far as fuses but have not found anything. This is only when it's raining other than that the runs great when it's not wet outside. I have not seen any or noticed any dampness under the dash.
I am at my wits end any help I can get will be greatly appreciated thank you
I had almost identical issues, minus the starting issue, searched everywhere, couldn't find a leak but I bought some high temp silicone and sealed every hole I could find on the drivers side firewall as well as ran a bead around the lower part of the windshield and the problem went away.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:42 PM
cowboy_up_07
Freshman User
Testing the Gem

Is there anyway to test the Gem module with out pulling it. cleaning it up drying it out per say like was mentioned earlier in this thread?

Old 12-15-2014, 02:43 AM
ztodd377
Laughing Gas
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cowboy_up_07
Is there anyway to test the Gem module with out pulling it. cleaning it up drying it out per say like was mentioned earlier in this thread?
Not sure about testing it but I did have mine out a couple of times, which is a chore itself, and visually checked for anything wrong as well as letting the connectors all have time to dry out.

Old 12-12-2017, 06:20 AM
bill5588
New User
Post gem

I have some info bout gem modules from the junk yard. I have a 97 f150 4x4 when i got the truck the 4x4 didnt work at all. Nothing. all the fuses were good. Replaced electronic shift switch on dash. Nothing. Did research. Got info about GEM and that it controls almost everything but emission and engine functions. Pulled out my gem mod. red info on the case., it read 4x2. No good. It has to say f series truck. NOT SUV as they are not interchangeable. An suv will shift the transfer case and turn on the dash 4x4 and low light. no go on the vacum switches on the firewall that control the bi directional bellows on the front diff. causing the front axle to be engaged or not.. So electronic shift f series pick up 4x4. or manual shift. The donor truck has to have the same options as your truck, ie. delayed wipers, daytime driving lights power seats AC everything must be the same. 3 doors 4 doors. dome lights cig lighter. If anything is different then there will be an issue with that option. Look for rusted pins. open the box. Look at the board. look for corrosion and rust. water damage. Do this in the junk yard. before you buy, Go to a good u pull it place., I got the first one for an suv for 25 bucks. I got the one for my truck for 30,00. Fixed every thing but my wipers. The wipers worked fine with the 4x2 and suv modules, the donor vehicle didnt have delayed wipers. Now my wipers wont work except in high and wont turn off unless i advance the key to start enough to light up the dash lights like i just turned on the key but not far enough to engage the starter. Be careful. That turns off the wipers. Its a real pain so Im going to go back and find another one that has my pickup options. Most do except fleet work trucks. That was the donor truck. A fleet work truck. Im confident they will exchange the module for a like one and after inspection for rust pin and water damage and same options my problems will be saved. I got this truck from an x wife. her new x husbands truck given to my son as a first truck. A 4.6 long block and transmission. and allot of suspension cooling and tons of other stuff, most not done correctly she begged me to help with a down payment for a new car for my son and she gave me the truck. Mechanics were bleeding her dry and it need allot of tuning and love, Its been a long road but it almost ready for body and paint. Another night mare. but its beem 20000 miles a couple of cross country road trips and no failures other than alt while on the road from WA to AZ. I know its along post but Its is my first ford. Ive done alot of tuning and fixing. Thank god for utube and this forum, Peace! Bill