1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Plz HELP. Trans problem with 02 F-150

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 09:03 PM
delldude
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Plz HELP. Trans problem with 02 F-150

I have a 2002 Ford F-150 4.6l V8. Today i was driving and backed into a parking spot and when i got out of the store to leave and cranked the truck. It started fine and when i went to put in drive the motor stopped. So i put back in park and went to crank truck again and it crunk but the check engine light came on and the over drive light started flashing. I was about two blocks from autozone. So i put it in drive and it went but didnt want to shift and acted like it had no power. I kept the truck under 40 mph but when i stoped at the stop signs it acted like it wanted to cut off. I got to autozone and there machine coded out a PO743 which is a tcc circuit condition. I did not have the money to get it towed so i tried reseting the system by unhooking the battery. It worked the truck ran and shifted fine as i drove it back to my house. I just had a new torque convertor installed about 2 weeks ago. Could i possible have a bad connection or am i going to have to have the transmission solenoid replaced.

Thanks for any information. <!-- / message --> <!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --> <!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_sig --> <!-- controls -->

Old 04-03-2009, 08:45 AM
KingRanchMan02
Posting Guru

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to FTE delldude! It almost sound like you had the failsafe mode engaged. You should check the coolant level to see if it is low and that this may be what happened. If there is nothing amiss with the cooling system, w\then you may have to look into the transmission code for a failure there. Good luck!

Old 04-03-2009, 11:04 AM
delldude
Freshman User
Thanks KingRanchMan02
There is alot of great info on this site.
I went back to the place i had the torque convertor installed. They are making it good. They didnt replace the solenoid pack when they put the torque converter. Claim the forgot to. ( YEAH RIGHT) just my opinion. But thats what went wrong. Ford Dealer ship claims when you replace the torque convertor that you are soppose to change the solenoid pack also cause usually its the pack that goes bad making the torque clutches slip. Just what they said. Im no expert and sure do not want to touch a transmission.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:39 AM
DarrinBC
Senior User
Originally Posted by delldude
Thanks KingRanchMan02
There is alot of great info on this site.
I went back to the place i had the torque convertor installed. They are making it good. They didnt replace the solenoid pack when they put the torque converter. Claim the forgot to. ( YEAH RIGHT) just my opinion. But thats what went wrong. Ford Dealer ship claims when you replace the torque convertor that you are soppose to change the solenoid pack also cause usually its the pack that goes bad making the torque clutches slip. Just what they said. Im no expert and sure do not want to touch a transmission.
It isn't normal procedure to replace the solenoids when you replace a torque converter.

But, it is normal procedure that you rebuild or replace the transmission when you replace a converter because of a failure and vice versa.

Darrin

Old 04-03-2009, 08:07 PM
delldude
Freshman User
I hear that Darrin,
Like i said i have no idea, just going on what they told me. I have been told there are so many variables to do when things start going on with the tranny that it is unreal. All i want is a good running tk. Only had this tk for 3 weeks and its deffinitely not starting out good.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:31 PM
DarrinBC
Senior User
These are good trucks and that is a good transmission as long as it's put together right and taken care of. Hopefully it all comes together and works out for you.

Darrin

Old 04-03-2009, 10:32 PM
delldude
Freshman User
Thats great to hear Darrin. I have always been a chevy man. But i really like how the F-150 has plenty room and i like the overall style of the tk. Its just a bummer how things have went wrong since i bought it and it was pretty well taken care of by the previous owner. I truely belive in taking care of a vehicle. The past two trucks i had, when i sold them had 170 thousand and i had never had any major problems with them. I had to put a tranny in the secound truck. If you do regular maintenace to a vehicle it really pays off in the long run. I really love the power and how the trucks rides too. I have been reallly impressed with that.