Weigh Stations?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2001, 03:57 PM
jeepnford
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Weigh Stations?

This is probably a dumb question,but do any of you who tow your own trailers(not for hire) ever have to stop at weigh stations or the like? I've never pulled one very far but next year want to tow my Jeep out west to Colorado or Utah and just wondered if they care about non-commercial trucks. Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 12-27-2001, 07:34 PM
flyboy2610
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Weigh Stations?

As a professional driver, I can tell you that most signs for weigh stations read to the effect of "All trucks and pickups with trailers must weigh. Recreational vehicles exempt." They want to check the safety of the rig, that you haven't overloaded an axle, and if you have a diesel they may check for evidence of red dye {farm use only fuel} in your fuel tank. I've seen pickups and trailers getting the full inspection bit. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 12-28-2001, 09:14 AM
CmprSpecial
Elder User
Weigh Stations?

This is a link to similar discussion on an RV board

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/CFB/1/TID/103468.cfm

Old 01-13-2002, 09:21 AM
vqarabs
Freshman User
Weigh Stations?

Seems every state has their own rules for non-commercial - it's best to check with each state's dept. of transportation. If you're pulling a little u-haul size trailer (up to 12 feet), I wouldn't bother-I've hauled 16' trailers all over out west and never bothered stopping. Here in Montana, DOT told me 14,000 GVW is the magical number for stopping in or not, regardless of what you're hauling. In Idaho, that magical number is 10,000 GVW, unless you're hauling livestock (horses in my case), at which point you are supposed to stop regardless of GVW. But they don't enforce it too much-Friday nite I drove down I-15 the entire length of Idaho with an empty horse trailer-there are two weigh stations in ID on I-15 and I didn't stop at either one even though I'm sure I was over 10,000 GVW. Sat. morning, I loaded up my horse and decided to ignore weigh stations again (all my paperwork for horse was in order), and if I got stopped, I could just play stupid and show them all required paperwork. Nobody chased me, so all is good.

Old 01-17-2002, 08:57 AM
bulabula
Senior User
Post Weigh Stations?

I've never stopped at a weight station pulling my heavy boat/trailer, nor have I ever been pulled over for not stopping.

Last year I rented a big Ryder diesel medium duty truck (under 26k GVW) during a household goods move, and drove it from MI, OH, PA and MD and didn't stop, was never asked to stop; and the guy @ Ryder who I rented it from said I didn't need to stop (I asked). I passed a bunch of stations on the trip.

Now that I've gone on record here, you probably should stop, cuz you may get pulled over and ticketed.

I'm not a commercial hauler and that may make a difference. A couple of phone calls wouldn't hurt.

Old 02-11-2002, 01:15 PM
aksniper
Senior User
Weigh Stations?

Well...I do not know the laws specifically in any states other than WA and AK, but I can tell you as a Criminal Justice major that yes, the letter of the law may say to stop at a weigh station if you're hauling horses or over a certain weight, but the fact of the matter is that they've got bigger fish to fry. So what if you're a few pounds over. Is a little fine for a few pounds better than stopping the guy up the road thats seeing if his car will break 100mph and swirving in and out of all the lanes? So to put it a little more easier to understand, about the only time they are going to pull you over for not stopping and you're just hauling a trailer would be if you're driving at night and you're the only one out there and they are so bored and want someone to talk to. Besides, if I were to pull over someone with a trailer I'd be a little more concerned about is that drugs and/or guns in the trailer or is that some boxes of stuff cause they are moving. So best advice, drive while there is traffic out, and make sure that all your lights work. No burned out bulbs and make sure those trailer lights are hooked up or ya will get pulled over. Almost garuantee that one. Have a great day everyone.

James

Old 02-17-2002, 10:15 AM
Trail_Rider
Fleet Mechanic
Weigh Stations?

This will probably always be the question. I am well aware of the "attract attention" formula so I always try to insure all of my lights are working. I am also aware of the fact that most pickups are not plated for the loads they are carrying (pulling). I also agree with the "play dumb" response if you are ever pulled over for bypassing the scales. However, I can also read and if you take the signs at the scales literally alot of light trucks should pull into the scales. I've seen alot of light trucks bypass them (myself included) without getting stopped. The quandry I find myself in is I've driven big trucks and currently hold a Class A CDL, and know the law. I will probably find out the answer to this dilemna someday (probably the expensive way), but just how dumb can I play, and how far is the law going to let me go if I ever do get stopped, when they are standing there holding my license that says Class A CDL all over it?
I guess the answer to this is keep blowing the scales until you get stopped, then you'll know the answer to the question, at least as far as that particular state is concerned.

Trail Rider

Old 02-20-2002, 10:26 AM
harryball
Senior User
Weigh Stations?

I have to have a permit to haul my Boat in Georgia, and most other states. The letter of the law regarding my permit does not specify that I must stop at weigh stations. I don't, never have. The way I see it, I'm non-commercial and low profile compared to big rigs.

Also, running me down would be a waste of time. As far as axle weight goes, besides not possibly being able to exceed the max per axle, my axles are not adjustable either. Even if I violate my permit specs, the only legal recourse specified in GA is a 90 day permit suspension. If it's not a revenue winner... it's not an enforcement priority.

As far as fuel goes... only an idiot would run off road diesel in their rig, besides getting caught, the fuel grade is often lower... you never know when you're buying fuel that no tax was paid on vs. real low grade non taxed fuel.

Robert

Old 02-21-2002, 12:08 AM
aksniper
Senior User
Weigh Stations?

Not that this really helps much, but a saw a couple business vans going to the weigh stations today. So makes me kind of wonder about the letter of the law. But I'm still sticking with the fact that law enforcement have bigger fish to fry. Have a good day everyone.

James

Old 02-21-2002, 09:17 AM
enduringexplorer
Elder User
Weigh Stations?

A lot depends on the state. Some states specify all vehicles over a certain gross vehicle weight RATING, not actual weight. Other states, like Michigan, say all trucks and commercial vehicles. In Michigan, "trucks" is classified as any vehicle with a GVWR over 10,000 lbs. Any duallie is over 10,000 lbs GVWR, but they don't seem to enforce the law. However, it is the law. Also, Michigan requires a chauffeurs license for duallies, and a class C CDL if you are using a duallie to haul any trailer. Again, not enforced.

Old 02-22-2002, 08:09 AM
harryball
Senior User
Weigh Stations?

I have a feeling if all these laws were suddenly to be enforced down to the non-commerical private group like us boat/camper/weekend tow kings... the cost of any penalty they could impose would be far outweighed by the cost of dealing with the public outrage stirred up... kind of like the boat to boat blockade of Fort Lauderdale when they tried to impose a bay wide no wake zone to help "save the Manatee"

We could all get hitched up and go drive exactly 55MPH side by side on all the major interstate for a day and be sure to stop at each and EVERY weigh station and drive exactly 25MPH down the ramps 200 feet apart, it would back up traffic on the interstates for miles... then we'd all of course have to stop in the pull off area and say stuff like, "that off road diesel sure is cheaper".

After thinking about it... I'm guessing enforcement would rather I just keep cruising and leave them alone.

Robert

Old 02-22-2002, 11:36 PM
FordRancher
Senior User
Weigh Stations?

The weight laws are different from state to state, which is stupid if you ask me. That's one thing I actually think the Feds need to set up, only if they do away with a bunch of other stuff first. In South Dakota you don't need to stop if you are under 10,000 lbs. or a recreational vehicle.

>As far as fuel goes... only an idiot would run off road
>diesel in their rig, besides getting caught, the fuel grade
>is often lower... you never know when you're buying fuel
>that no tax was paid on vs. real low grade non taxed fuel

The road fuel and off-road fuel are the same type of fuel. The only difference is off-road is dyed red and not taxed. When the transport loads at the terminal the dye is added if needed, or if it isn't then tax is payed on the load of fuel.

Old 02-25-2002, 11:33 AM
harryball
Senior User
Weigh Stations?

Right... but wrong too... Most of the time it's just dyed fuel... but off road can often be found that is a lower grade of fuel ... If you buy from the same place all the time and the #1 or #2 fuel they sell is the same in the off road tank just dyed, it probably always will be... but it does not have to be... there are lower grades of fuels.

Case in point... I have a track loader Case 1150B... I was filling up a 55 gal. drum at .89 off road... on road was selling for .99 at the time. Well... I found a deal one day, off road from one of the local fuel delivery companies for .76 I took my 55 gal drum over and let them fill it up. The loader ran OK, but smoked more... and when it was cold it wouldn't start... I called to complain about the "bad fuel" and was told the fuel was fine, it just did not have the additives road fuel had and I'd need to add treatment with anti-gel compound in it... to make a long story short, by the time I treated the 55 gallons and dealt with the hassle... it was not cheaper. I went back to the .89 off road stuff and have been fine since. But I learned a lesson.

Robert

Old 02-26-2002, 03:33 PM
DirtySideDown
Junior User
Weigh Stations?

Heres the Washington State Laws.

From
Washington State
RCW 46.44.105

(5) It is unlawful for the driver of a vehicle to fail or refuse to stop and submit the vehicle and load to a weighing, or to fail or refuse, when directed by an officer upon a weighing of the vehicle to stop the vehicle and otherwise comply with the provisions of this section. It is unlawful for a driver of a commercial motor vehicle as defined in RCW 46.32.005, other than the driver of a bus as defined in RCW 46.32.005(2) or a vehicle with a gross vehicle or combination weight not over sixteen thousand pounds and not transporting hazardous materials in accordance with RCW 46.32.005(3), to fail or refuse to stop at a weighing station when proper traffic control signs indicate scales are open.

RCW 46.32.005
Definitions.
For the purpose of this chapter "commercial motor vehicle" means a self-propelled or towed vehicle designed or used to transport passengers or property, if the vehicle:

(1) Has a gross vehicle weight rating or gross combination weight rating of ten thousand one or more pounds;

(2) Is designed to transport sixteen or more passengers, including the driver; or

(3) Is transporting hazardous materials and is required to be identified by a placard in accordance with 49 C.F.R. Sec. 172.500-.560 (1991).

A recreational vehicle used for noncommercial purposes is not considered a commercial motor vehicle. "Recreational vehicle" includes a vehicle towing a horse trailer for a noncommercial purpose.

[1993 c 403 § 1.]

Old 03-01-2002, 12:37 AM
V10man
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Weigh Stations?