Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get a motorcycle into the bed?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 11:11 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you use the folding ramps use two, one for the bike and one for you to walk up. Then you can stow the ramps on each side of the bike. NEVER trust a wood ramp they do tend to break.

Old 03-21-2009, 05:28 PM
Snowbunny
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mnmwhit
If I were you I would go to Douglas Ga and pick up a trailer. It is a much more stable (lower center of gravity) way to bring your bike along.

Cargo Trailers, Enclosed Trailers & Utility Trailers for Sale - The Trailer Showroom

You can order it in the right color, with a ramp door. I would highly recommend the 24" tread plate aluminum option to protect the front and sides from rock chips. Also the v-nose option is nice for loading a bike (and fuel mileage).

The trailer idea is really best.

1. The Alcan highway is very rough in places you are about to learn what a "frost heave" is. I would not want my bike in the bed. It raises the center of gravity, there are some long curvey stretches and you will wish the bike was not back there.

2. You can load alot of other stuff in with your bike and lock the trailer. less worry about someone taking your bike, helmet, other stuff in the bed of your truck. The Alcan highway traverses through Northern British Columbia and the Yukon territory; beautiful country to be sure.....but also inhabited by a very depressed native population. Secure your belongings.

Buy a milepost book. It is the best reference you can buy for the trip. Better by far than any map and even better than a GPS.
Not only do you have to worry about frost heaves, but rocks from the roads as well. They use chip seal instead of asphalt and it breaks loose this time of year. I had to replace my windshield by the time I got to Alaska and again when I got back here for the rocks smashing into it! The truckers hate 4-wheelers and purposely drive on the edge on the road to throw the rocks up on you as they pass.

Also, yes, secure your belongings! The silly bas**rds stole they hub off my front end while I was sleeping in the truck! They will take anything not tied down, and that's not even a sure bet!

Good luck on your trip!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:56 PM
spinella
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i have a set of three 12' folding ramps. the center one is wider than the two outside ones. nice and long so they are not steep. you can put a riding lawn mower up without hitting the deck. my harley is 3-3/4" 's off the ground.transporting all three plus the bike can be a challenge. i was thinking about getting one of those half removable ladder racks that mount to one side of the bed and carrying them there. i'll walk out to the shed in a little bit and get the info off the ramps.

Old 03-21-2009, 08:07 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the ideas everyone. I am sort of leaning towards two smaller ramps like such for a 4 wheeler. One to walk up while holding the bike upright.

I drove to Alaska last year in June with a friend and we tent camped the trip. We didn't have any problems but all of your junk was locked in the SUV which probably deterred people. You do raise a good point though, I should probably run a chain and lock through my ramps and maybe the rear wheel of the bike.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:21 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
I always back into a ditch and just drive it right in myself. You can also back up to a curb and let the air out of the back tires or something similar.

Old 03-24-2009, 10:04 PM
Quick444
Fleet Mechanic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well the bike was wrecked the other day but with any luck I can get it back from the insurance company by early next week.

I am really leaning towards something like this.

SMC-600 Sport Bike Hauler

I don't mind the large ramps, but putting them in the bed with my other belongings isn't going to fit. At least with this method, I can still use my entire bed while also easily and safely loading and unloading the bike.

I am a bit nervous about it but I don't have a reason to avoid it. For a long road trip I would probably hang my license plate on the outside of the bike so that I don't get pulled over for that.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Mawk
Senior User
Originally Posted by scatgo
If you use the folding ramps use two, one for the bike and one for you to walk up. Then you can stow the ramps on each side of the bike. NEVER trust a wood ramp they do tend to break.
Agreed!

Costco sells ramps in a set of two.
I'd go with two, one to walk up, the other for the bike. I'm a smaller guy, and have only done it single ramp once. It's not impossible, but the possibilities of an accident is very high. No stable footing to push off, push forward, or push away. (and I've seen others use a milk crate/bucket to get up on, bad idea.)

When you do find a suitable ramp, park with the rear tires of the truck against a curb, the other side on an incline (such as a driveway) so that the angle is less. Also, if the bike runs, you can stand to the side of it and guide it up easily in first gear at idle.

As for storing the ramp, I've seen a few use a hitch bike rack type deal to hold two ramps while other belongings hug the bike for the trip. I'm sure you could also make your own with proper tubing, that would be superior, but it's all a matter of time, tools, and materials, or money.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:05 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
why not set up a sweet jump ramp and just land in the bed ????

Old 04-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Franko72
Molon Labe
The cheapest way I found is to go to Home Depot and ask someone for ramp ends, they are on a top shelf somewhere that you'll never find. I payed like $10 or $20 bucks for them, then buy two treated 2x12x12' the caps bolt on each end. (two cap sets per box)
One end is the foot for the ground, and the other has a lip for your tail gate. they also come with pins to keep the ramp on your tailgate. (you have to drill two small holes)
Its alot cheaper than buying a set of ramps. I usually back into a shallow ditch to load/unload my Harley, and use the second ramp to walk up while holding the bike if need be.

Old 04-03-2009, 03:02 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
If you are going to use wood at least get the rough cut ones. There are a lot thicker. Or maybe something that is used for scaffolding. They should be stronger than off the shelf stuff that has knots and splits. IMO a 2x is a bad way to go.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:46 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
If you are going to use wood at least get the rough cut ones. There are a lot thicker. Or maybe something that is used for scaffolding. They should be stronger than off the shelf stuff that has knots and splits. IMO a 2x is a bad way to go.
If you use thicker wood, the aluminum end caps wont fit over the ends, they are desighned for 2x's, I used pressure treated, havent had a problem with my 800lb bike, other than being a little slippery.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:45 AM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Franko72
If you use thicker wood, the aluminum end caps wont fit over the ends, they are desighned for 2x's, I used pressure treated, havent had a problem with my 800lb bike, other than being a little slippery.
Good luck. I had one break on me when I did a running start with my sportster and wound up ramming the bike right into the back of my brothers van. We had one break while we were putting a big lawn mower in a truck at work. So I am sure you can see where I don't trust any wood ramps. And I have seen them flex quit a bit with 600 pound bikes going up them so be cool with the wood.

Old 04-03-2009, 11:30 AM
Franko72
Molon Labe
Good luck. I had one break on me when I did a running start with my sportster and wound up ramming the bike right into the back of my brothers van. We had one break while we were putting a big lawn mower in a truck at work. So I am sure you can see where I don't trust any wood ramps. And I have seen them flex quit a bit with 600 pound bikes going up them so be cool with the wood.
Oh, I agree 100%, I have'nt tried to ride up the ramp, I just walk it up one ramp, while I stand on the other. It didnt seem to flex too bad either.
Its just a cheap idea if your only gonna use it from time to time. If your constantly loading/unloading your bike from the truck, i would recomend a better quality ramp.

Old 04-03-2009, 06:59 PM
Festus Hagen
Methanoholic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Put a backbone under your planks and you won't have the flex/snap problem.

I have driven a 91 F250 Diesel up my ramps, each ramp is made from two 10' Clear Green 2x12's, One is a little shorter to lesson the end edge on the ground, they are screwed and glued to each other with 2 Clear Green 2x4's screwed and glued to each other, screwed and glued on edge to the underside of the ramps as a backbone.

Put the backbone on one plank before gluing/screwing the two planks together.

We built them to load the race car.

I trust them far more than ANY Purchased ramps I have owned or seen!

-Enjoy
fh : )_~