Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Elder User

southbound35west is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question IS Rotella-T oil Bad for the 6.0?

my ford service super told me i should not run rotella in my 2006 powerstroke because it does not contain anti foaming agents in the oil for the high pressure oil system in these powerstrokes................is this true or false?.........................he sure let me know that their motorcraft oil contains the anti foaming agents and thats what i should be using or mobil 1 oil.................what is the best oil for these 6.0's? i am in warm texas climates and i have been using rotella 20w-50 oil in it since i bought it new. thanks for any info..............
-2006 F-250 FX4, SCT X3, Intake elbow, Fumoto drain valve, Dieselsite coolant filter system, 4 Autometer Cobalt2 guages, Aluminum fuel and oil filter caps, FilterMag oil & Trans pan magnets, ACIW rack with Trucklite LED's, Ranch Hand front replacement, River city diesel EGR Delete kit, ARP Head Studs, New head gaskets, upgraded turbo oil drain tube, 33X12.50" Nitto Mud Grapplers, Weatherguard toolbox, MBRP 4"turbo back straight pipe, 6x18" SS Monster Tip, High Idle mod, Powder coated CAC tubes, 2003 Turbo
Old 03-19-2009, 11:30 PM
Got Diesel?

Beachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to allBeachbumcook is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbound35west View Post
my ford service super told me i should not run rotella in my 2006 powerstroke because it does not contain anti foaming agents in the oil for the high pressure oil system in these powerstrokes................is this true or false?.........................he sure let me know that their motorcraft oil contains the anti foaming agents and thats what i should be using or mobil 1 oil.................what is the best oil for these 6.0's? i am in warm texas climates and i have been using rotella 20w-50 oil in it since i bought it new. thanks for any info..............
The use of 20W-50 is way to thick and may prove harmfull to your injectors (which use oil to fire).

I personally use Rotella-Syn 5W-40 year round and all is well with every Blackstone oil analysis report I have ever had done. Once your motor is up to temp... it is up to temp.... meaning that 5W-40 will protect as well as 15W-40 dino oil.

I do not believe that 20W-50 (which you wrote above) is diesel approved. You want the latest API oil rating of CJ4 which is the latest diesel oil rating you can buy.
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Bilstein Shocks & Steering Stabilizer
BriteBox Headlight Module / Marinco AC Block Heater Plug
Old 03-19-2009, 11:37 PM
Elder User

beach i made a mistake..................in my original posting i put 20w-50, that is wrong i am running 15w-40 rotella oil...........is that bad?...........does mobil or valvoline make a better oil for the 6.0?
-2006 F-250 FX4, SCT X3, Intake elbow, Fumoto drain valve, Dieselsite coolant filter system, 4 Autometer Cobalt2 guages, Aluminum fuel and oil filter caps, FilterMag oil & Trans pan magnets, ACIW rack with Trucklite LED's, Ranch Hand front replacement, River city diesel EGR Delete kit, ARP Head Studs, New head gaskets, upgraded turbo oil drain tube, 33X12.50" Nitto Mud Grapplers, Weatherguard toolbox, MBRP 4"turbo back straight pipe, 6x18" SS Monster Tip, High Idle mod, Powder coated CAC tubes, 2003 Turbo
Old 03-19-2009, 11:56 PM
Posting Guru

guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.
rotella is great oil and probably 90 percent of the diesels on the road including semi's are running rotella. That tech didn't have a clue what he was talking about!
I have been running rotella in my diesels since 1996 and I haven't ever had a failure due to oil. Just change it every 5k with a new filter
Old 03-20-2009, 12:01 AM
Elder User

yes i change it every 4-5K.............i know alot of heavy equipment uses rotella, i just am not sure if its the best thing to be using in the 6.0...........i want this one to last 200,000-300,000 miles.........
Old 03-20-2009, 12:11 AM
Posting Guru

guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.guthrie&co has a very good reputation on FTE.
Your not going to have any problems
Old 03-20-2009, 12:26 AM
Senior User

Blaster7Romeo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
I have heard the exact same thing from 2 sepreit techs at 2 sepreit dealerships. one of the guys even told me ford put out a service bullitan about it.. although i did not make him tell me the #. i was told Delo was good as well

I asked the same question on here a mounth or so ago. most of the responses where. as much rotela is out there in 6.0 it would be a wider known problem.

But the way i see it is there is no reson TO run rottella when motorcraft is right next to it on the shelf for the same pirice or cheaper.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:05 AM
Posting Guru

unrulee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.unrulee is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I went to the Rotella Syn 5w40 and I'm never looking back.

Join the ND Chapter - CLICK HERE!!!

1979 F250 Ranger, lots of goodies
2005 F250 PSD, work in progress...
Old 03-20-2009, 01:09 AM
Post Fiend

bismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputationbismic has a superb reputation
There are folks that work for Ford on the site. They have addressed this myth every year for as long as I have been a member. If the search is working, you will turn up several past posts. This rumor on Rotella T is completely false. Lots of folks use it, love it, 100k miles + to prove it.

JUST MAKE ABSOLUTELY FOR SURE THAT YOU ARE USING THE API CERTIFIED CI4+ or CJ4 OIL!

Use the 5W-40 synthetic year round. It is great.
06 F250 CC SB FX4 Lariat;ARP studs;OEM gaskets;Banks exhaust;DynaTrac Ball joints;Coolant filter;High-Idle mod;RACCCV6000;JimmiJammers;Ravelco;SynchroMax xfer case;Fumoto valve;Harpooned;CPOhighwayProducts toolbox;tracrac;Fox Weatherboots;Wet Okole Seat Covers;BriteBox;Re-flashed;Quadzilla Recon XZT Fuel Press;Blue FPR spring;DashDAQ;PHP FICM;RiffRaff boots;DCPower250A;PowerInverter;Rancho7000's;BPD EGR cooler;One-piece HPOP fitting;D-plugs&standpipes;BPD BilletWaterPump;SCT w/ Matts SRL+;ELC Ultra;DuraTracs
Old 03-20-2009, 04:08 AM
Elder User

dc3655 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I run Rotella Syn 5W40 and the Oil Analysis' have come back great. As far as foaming agents, the only thing I know is that you shouldn't put oil additives like Lucas Oil Stabilizer because that will really cause foaming of the oil. Run Rotella or any other CJ4 oil and change it every 5000 miles and you'll be fine.
05 F-250 CC/SB FX-4 Silver 6L Powerstroke: Wrangler 275/65R20's, 55W/5000k HID headlights, DieselSite Coolant Filter, Quadzilla Commander, Magnaflow T409SS 3.5"DP/4" w/Cummins Cat, B&M Deep tranny pan, Precision Industries 1600rpm stall Torque Converter, Mag-Hytec Rear Diff Cover, Fumoto valve, HD Bilstein Shocks, ARP Headstuds and no more oil leak.
Old 03-20-2009, 07:32 AM
Postmaster

Storm is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Your fine south. I've been using Rotella 15w40 since 1998 when I had my Dodge Cummins. The beast drinks nothing but Rotella and I plan to keep it that way
Old 03-20-2009, 07:35 AM
Posting Guru

origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
Internationals factory fill is Shell oil. There is a sticker on the firewall of our VT365 powered bus stating so and recommending the use of Shell Rimula or Shell Rotella oils.
two EGR valves, forgot to reconnect the wires on the second one at 151,360 miles.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:54 AM
Elder User

Thumbs up

thanks for all the responses.....................i will probably continue to run the approved rotella........
Old 03-20-2009, 09:10 AM
Senior User

Culvert is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just a quick question about oil here? I was talking with service Mgr this week aswell and dropped of Chevron Delo 400LE 5-40syn oil and they said I should stick with the Motorcraft oil. Only reason he mentioned was the heavier 15-40 oil is better for the pressure build up in the injectors. That 5-40 is to light of an oil??

Anyone have input on this?

66 Fairlane 500XL - project
Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 AM
Posting Guru

origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.origcharger has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culvert View Post
Just a quick question about oil here? I was talking with service Mgr this week aswell and dropped of Chevron Delo 400LE 5-40syn oil and they said I should stick with the Motorcraft oil. Only reason he mentioned was the heavier 15-40 oil is better for the pressure build up in the injectors. That 5-40 is to light of an oil??

Anyone have input on this?

See my signature line.
two EGR valves, forgot to reconnect the wires on the second one at 151,360 miles.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:26 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
1040, 400le, 5w40, cummins, delo, drain, fumoto, ism, oil, quick, rock, round, specs, syn, tx, valve