Sandblasting

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2000, 05:17 PM
58Model
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sandblasting

I am getting ready to take the cab off my 58 for body repair, rust removal etc. I was planning to take the fenders, doors, hood and tailgate and have them sandblasted to remove rust and old paint. There are at least 3 or 4 coats of paint and primer on this truck. is this sandblasting a bad idea?
Should i just get the edges of the body parts sandblasted and sand the flat surfaces? What do you experienced folks think? If the sandblaster warps all the sheet metal i am in trouble, but also if I leave rust I am in trouble too. I don't know! Thanks

Old 12-03-2000, 10:58 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master
Sandblasting

I'm not experienced in this, but I know a few people who have had theirs professionally done, and were very pleased with the results. They said they had used walnut shells. I'll be going this route with my '59 when it's time.
Kenny

Old 12-04-2000, 06:08 AM
58Model
Senior User
Sandblasting

Yes, I think media blasted may be the right term. Did they have all the flat sheet metal of fenders, hood and doors media blasted for paint removal?The posts I've seen on the bodywork message board sound like people have had a lot of metal distortion with this.I'm debating just doing the edges and then maybe using 3M pads for paint removal on the flat areas? I don't know. Any opinion?

Old 12-05-2000, 11:02 PM
Kenny
Cargo Master
Sandblasting

Yeah, they had the whole thing done. I think the crushed walnut shells will remove the paint, but they are soft enough to not distort the metal. To be on the safe side, I would definately double check with a professional though.
Kenny

Old 12-06-2000, 05:52 AM
58Model
Senior User
Sandblasting

Thanks for the help. Any thoughts on paint/rust removal on the cab? I don't think I can media blast it unless I remove everything, ie dash components, wiring harness, etc.

Old 12-06-2000, 08:52 AM
roscoe
Senior User
Sandblasting

I've got a small pressure pot that can handle a fine sand. Used it to do the frame and cab floors (inside and under) on my 85 F250 this summer. Worked fine and I couldn't see where there was any distortion. But don't do a bone headed manuver like me; absolutely cover and seal the entire dash, top and bottom with plastic sheeting and duct tape or whatever, every hole. Blasting the floors worked realy well but I was forever sweeping and vacuuming sand and paint grit from inside the dash. On the body sheet metal I did small rust areas, maybe no more than 3" around. The sand seemed to pit the metal slightly but that also could have been the rust pitting.

Old 12-07-2000, 09:48 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru
Sandblasting

Hi, if you get a good shop they will give you references and the media blasting is the way to go I had my 40 pickup done and it turned out perfect you do have to cover everything you don't want done and really seal good I didn't have that problem as I gutted the truck and what ever body work was done before will have to be done again since body filler is soft and the media eats it right away. JOHN(FATFORTY)

Old 12-07-2000, 11:38 PM
hotrodford_88
Posting Guru
Sandblasting

I have also seen media blasting being done not too long back. I believe they called it Soda Blasting. Don't know what they were using, but it strips all of the paint, and doesn't warp the surface at all.

[link:www.geocities.com/hotrodford_88/|Hotrodford_88's Webpage]

[link:www.geocities.com/westlake_vfd/Westlake.html|Westlake VFD Website]

Old 12-08-2000, 01:05 AM
Kenny
Cargo Master
Sandblasting

I was told everything from crushed walnut shells, to plastic beads. I've heard of soda blasting too, but I also don't know what is used in that application. One thing I was told for sure is that using the wrong media will definately distort body sheet metal.
hotrod_88, That's a really nice looking truck you got there!
Kenny

Old 12-08-2000, 01:15 AM
hotrodford_88
Posting Guru
Sandblasting

Thanks, I still have a few things I want to do to it yet though. (as if I haven't done enough already?)

I found some ground effects on Yahoo auctions for full size ford pickups. Complete kit, front spoiler and the pieces for both sides. The guy is supposed to be sending me some more pictures in the next day or so.

I think I need to take some of my before pictures and put them up on there as well. Then you guys can see what I started with!
I need to put up some engine pics as well. Those nice pretty blue goodyear hoses look really good two years after the initial installation!

[link:www.geocities.com/hotrodford_88/|Hotrodford_88's Webpage]

[link:www.geocities.com/westlake_vfd/Westlake.html|Westlake VFD Website]

Old 12-11-2000, 02:23 AM
elsmith
Senior User
Sandblasting

I have heard that the plastic media blasting will remove only the paint and will not remove plastic body filler or rust or damage chrome trim. But I have not seen it being used it is just what I have heard. Eric

Old 12-14-2000, 05:41 PM
blacksheep30534
New User
Sandblasting

Ive used soda blasting, and metal dipping. I think both are
100x better than sand. You can rent a soda blaster for about
$200 for a weekend plus $25 a bag, It takes 2-3 bags to do
the cab. Metal dipping is far better it removes paint, bondo,
and any other fillers, down to bare metal. It cost $1.20 a
pound. The better you prep the better the paint will look.

Old 01-09-2001, 10:37 PM
BigTex
Senior User
Sandblasting

The heck with the sandblasting. Working my '67 the other day. Sweatin and sweatin. Took out the 4" grinder (yep grinder) to do the under side of a fender and didnt put it down till I was finished. 4 coats and mud came off fassst!! I was careful and didnt hurt the steel at all. Couldnt believe it! Try it and I gaurantee youll like it. This was way faster than media or paper.Another tip. Get an inline sander AKA air file. $40 at Harbor. After using it I woulda paid $100! Unbelievable tool. Good Luck

Old 01-10-2001, 04:38 AM
StockMan
Posting Guru
Sandblasting

[FONT COLOR="#0000ff" SIZE="3" FACE="Veranda"]
There are many fast ways to remove paint. I found a grinder with a flexible wire wheel ideal to strip a bumper. I don't know if all those particles in the air were idealic, but I guess it would have been actually worse with a sandblaster....
[/FONT]

[LINK:www.hometown.aol.com/tbeeee|http://members.aol.com/tbeeee/page/registrysig.gif]

Old 01-10-2001, 09:44 PM
fatforty
Posting Guru
Sandblasting