General Diesel Discussion  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jet-A1 as cheap alternative Diesel fuel.

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 01:18 PM
soutthpaw
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Beagle44
I am paying currently 25c/gal but subject to negotiation per drum or 300gal container.
Humm... I might just have to go over to the local airports and do some asking around... Been watching the DRMO for a surplus fuel or water container as i was thinking about doing the veggie oil thing anyway

Old 03-24-2009, 03:37 PM
scatgo
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Beagle44
Major "C" inspections, work on fuel systems, weighing SOP's etc require that fuel tanks be drained and such fuel may not be replaced in Commercial (or any other) aircraft as it is "deemed" to have been contaminated. To what extent depends on how clean and dry the drums and containers were! Since they are regularly used for this purpose it's not an issue in a vehicle as you are gonna filter it anyway.

I'm sure you will be aware that it is illegal to use dyed "off highway" diesel in a road vehicle but JP8/Jet-A1 has no dye and like veg oil is still something of a gray area .
Thanks, good info, but just how much of this stuff is available? I am sure we are not the first to think of this. I would think there would be a line waiting to get some cheap fuel. SOP's?

Old 03-24-2009, 05:43 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
"Been watching the DRMO for a surplus fuel or water container as i was thinking about doing the veggie oil thing anyway "

Don't bother with a fuel bowser unless it's cheap. You can get an aluminum 18-wheeler saddle tank from a truck recycler and make a stand or trailer for it instead.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:50 PM
waterski101
New User
Jp-8

When I was in the military we first started using JP-4 in diesel powered equipment around 1986. The military switched to JP-8 later on. We use JP-8 in all diesel powered equipment now. The only problem we had was with some of the diesel powered vehicles were hard to start. I don't know if that is still the case. The reclaimed fuel is not cantaminated, it is pumped out of the airplanes by the refueler trucks, and passes through the filters on those trucks. Smaller amounts of reclaimed fuel are generated by fuel-cell repair activities when the cells are opened for repair. Reclaimed fuel is burned on an Air Force base in ground equipment.

Old 11-30-2011, 01:26 AM
Mark Hall
New User
I hear people running all kinds of fuels in their diesels. Is there a chart listing what to mix with these alternatives fuels I.e how much oil to add to jet fuel etc?

Old 11-30-2011, 04:34 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
I'd run straight aircraft fuel. Works fine in thousands of USAF diesels every day and has done so for many years.

Old 12-09-2011, 08:04 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
subscribing

This is interesting

Old 12-10-2011, 11:15 PM
LeoJr
Cargo Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Subscribed...

Old 12-11-2011, 02:29 PM
starmilt
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If I remember right there is quite a bit of difference in the btu's and you lose a bit of power and mileage, at least we do in the big rigs. It mat not be as noticeable in a pickup.

Old 12-18-2011, 06:11 AM
ronald wilks
New User
Hi all new here are you in va and just how would I go about talking to who to get in on this deal would let me drive the old girl a lot more @ 25 cents a gal

Old 12-18-2011, 09:26 AM
TheWhiteBeast
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You guys have to remember most AF vehicles don't get driven many miles. We have 10 y/o diesel chebbies with 20K on the clock. I don't know if they would be a good marking indicator of how this stuff works. I know it smells good when it burns though!

Old 01-09-2012, 02:38 PM
Super79CS
Freshman User
I have run Jet A in my 96 Powerstroke for years with no problems. in fact, for a year straight I was running Jet A mixed 2-3% approx biodiesel (B99+) and it actually idled smoother and started easier. Power loss was negligable, but i did notice a bit of drop pulling my big fifth-wheel.

I had to have a head gasket replaced (unrelated, coolant leak) and when they had the head off, the techs were blown away at how clean the cylinders pistons and head chambers were, at almost 300k. so I would say it aided in keeping the engine clean.

I happened to work at an airport facility, and whenever we brought a truck in for a fuel filter change, or brought a plane in for maintenance, we had to drain the fuel, and per FAA regs, you cannot re-use that fuel, even though it is perfectly clean. really a waste if you ask me, but didn't hurt my feelings none!

If you hit up some of your local FBO's (small airports) you may be able to ask them for their "Sump Fuel" most places have to pay to dispose of it, so often times if you provide a clean container, they can "dispose of the waste" in your container, so to speak. they can't give it to you do to Post-9/11 regs, but they can certainly "dispose" of it. That is what I do, when i don't get it from work.

Old 01-09-2012, 02:48 PM
monckywrench
Cargo Master
You guys have to remember most AF vehicles don't get driven many miles.
Flightline vehicles spend huge amounts of time idling though, and that doesn't show on odometers. Anything without a Hobbs meter is often a mystery.

Old 01-10-2012, 05:49 AM
hanklin
Hotshot
Received 684 Likes on 397 Posts
bump

Old 01-10-2012, 06:46 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
Subscribing.

Quick Reply: Jet-A1 as cheap alternative Diesel fuel.