Replacing Dash cluster

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:43 AM
BigDog83
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Dash cluster

Hey guys,
I don't if anyone else thought of this yet but I was wandering If i could replace the whole gauge cluster with autometer gauges. I was thinking 5" speed, 5" tach and 2" water, volt, oil, trans. Do you think it will fit in there? I already have them on the a piller and love them. I think it will be able to run correct? I'm just trying to think of how to switch the mileage over top the new speedo if possible. Just wanted to know what you guys think of the idea thanks

Old 02-27-2009, 10:50 AM
superduty4x4
Hotshot
Received 39 Likes on 19 Posts
The odo is electronic and has a small processor behind it called a PSOM (programmable speedometer/odometer module). It's an integral link between the trans and the PCM... the truck would run and drive poorly at best without it. Great idea, but I don't think it will work on one of these trucks.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:51 AM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It could be done but like Chase said you need to retain the Speedo head for the PSOM. Now that doesn't mean it needs to be used it just needs to be in the truck and wired. I don't know if there is room but tucking it behind the new gauges might work and you would just have to figure out how to go about wiring it. Google for some of the Ford Lightning sites. I have seen a few of those guys do it. But I am not sure if they were older trucks or not.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:58 PM
BigDog83
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't know that about the oem speedo, I'll have to check out google then.