Help with emissions, first post not working

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 08:24 AM
Jodell
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with emissions, first post not working

Hoping to get some help getting my truck to pass DEQ. I have a 78 F250 2wd standard cab with 400/C6. I rebuilt the engine last year and it now has 3000 miles on it. It has Tim’s pistons, Comp cams DEH 265, a Holley steet dominator with EGR, rebuilt Edelbrock 1406, headers and dual exhaust. New plugs, wires, cap and rotor, 195 deg thermostat, PCV valve, and the distributor was rebuilt.
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
I have to pass DEQ in OR with HC <= 300 and CO <=2.5 and my truck is at 345 for HC and 5.4 for CO out of both pipes. The plugs are gapped correctly and are good for color. Compression is ~165 on all eight. Timing is set at 10 deg, 34 deg with centrifugal weights, and another 10 deg vacuum advance. The shop that rebuilt my distributor had me run the vac advance on manifold vac for better throttle response which puts the idle timing at ~17 deg. Vacuum at idle is ~17” with manifold vac on distributor and ~15” without. The vacuum moves up to 17.5 and as low as 16 and is erratic. The engine has always acted this way and I am pretty sure it is causing the failing readings.
<o></o>
I have tried blocking off all of the hoses one at a time for possible leaks and they are all new. If I plug of the PCV the idle and vacuum drop, but the vacuum gauge is still not steady. It is acting like an intermittent miss, but one that seems to affect all cylinders. Idle mixture screws are both set to achieve best vacuum. I can pull a vacuum on the EGR valve to open it up and the engine starts running really ruff, but I guess there could be a small leak across the seat. I tried a different ignition module with no change. I had thought about changing the coil, but should that be more of an at speed issue not at idle? I also noticed when I pulled the air cleaner off that the air intake for the PCV system does not seem to have any flow through it even though the PCV valve is pulling strong. I don’t have a lot of experience troubleshooting issues like this and would like to get some advice before I start throwing parts at it. Would also like to what others with a similar setup get for idle vacuum and how smooth the idle is. Sorry it is such a long post, but I wanted to get as much info in as possible.
<o></o>
Thanks,
Jeff