6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Beta Spartan Phalanx Part Duh

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:54 PM
Variable556
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HeavyAssault
I read the above and considered why can't we just get a tuner that loads files easily into the tuner and then loads the truck. Is that too easy or am I just missing the point?

I'll rephrase my orginal question. Do the advantages and power/mileage gains while using this particular tuner make it worth the effort of getting it to operate properly as described in the quoted post?
FWIW, I haven't really had any problems at all. I just followed the directions in Mick's FAQ posts and I was up and running really quickly.
The Phalanx is really easy to load your tunes into also. You order your tunes and they send them, you copy your tunes onto your SD card and stick it into the Phalanx. It's pretty easy. They are also very easy o load into your truck. You click your tunes, click the one you want, and the click install (or something to that effect- I'm not in the truck right now). The only problem I had with the exact same setup is I didn't know how to get rid of the decimals on the aftermarket egt gauge. 07Dually helped me with that (thanks Charlie).

Matt emailed me my tunes directly, but they will probably just start posting our tunes on their server in the "My Tunes" section. Their website is primarily setup for 6.4 tunes, so that is where most of the confusion came from. 6.0 Phalanx stuff is really pretty new, so it might take a little while for everything to flow seamlessly.

I can't comment on other programmers because this one is my first, but as a newbie tuner I'm perfectly happy with the Phalanx and haven't really had any problems at all. For me it is quite definitely worth it! This truck is quite lively now(!), I'm monitoring everything I really wanted to see (ECT, EOT, EGT, and TFT), and I didn't have to buy or install any gauges or really anything except except the Phidgets/thermocouple combo. If they come up with their own thermocouple package with the Phalanx, then it'll be even easier.
JMHO,
Chris

Old 07-27-2009, 05:58 PM
jasonschwenk
Elder User
Originally Posted by Rob.D
I'm in luck, I happen to be working in Ann Arbor,MI. I've contacted Drew Tech and have a training session booked with John from Drew Tech tommorrow at 2pm. I believe I could figure everything out and get the Phalanx up and running. I figured I'd take advantage and speed up my learing curve by meeting John @ Drew Tech. Looking forward to it. Is there anything specifically anybody would like to know that I could possible go over with John? Looking to help everyone out as I'm not always the most computer savy.

Tex, did you talk to Matt at all this weekend? I've tried to contact Spartan about not recieving my tunes without luck.
Hey Rob,
Any way you could mention my missing VIN problem to the Dash Daq guys to see if they have any insight...
I will PM you my cell# if they could even call me that would be great!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:04 PM
ptr34
Senior User
so how does the tunes fell better than sct? tex u need to try the ultra tune lol

Old 07-28-2009, 01:55 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
Originally Posted by jasonschwenk
Hey Rob,
Any way you could mention my missing VIN problem to the Dash Daq guys to see if they have any insight...
I will PM you my cell# if they could even call me that would be great!
Well, I met with John from Drew Tech today. I inquired about your problem pulling up the Vin #. He said that the Dash Daq on it's own will not pull up anyone's vin#. He said the program that the Dash Daq uses to pull the Vin # is written by Spartan. John recommend you call Spartan for help.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:36 PM
jasonschwenk
Elder User
Well, I met with John from Drew Tech today. I inquired about your problem pulling up the Vin #. He said that the Dash Daq on it's own will not pull up anyone's vin#. He said the program that the Dash Daq uses to pull the Vin # is written by Spartan. John recommend you call Spartan for help.

Thanks Rob I appreciate it!!

Old 07-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
I tried to load a tune today for the first time. During the loading process and error show’s up “Error While Loading Drivers”. Below that it say’s “Some devices may not be working properly” then press ok. It then takes me back out to the Device Manager and reads an error on the Phidget usb invalid license. I have the pyrometer reading and working prior to loading the tunes. I have purchased the license and did select it when setting up the Dash Daq. If I continue to back out the lightning bolt(tunes) disappears until I shut of the unit and repower it. Hope this all makes sense. I did try loading another tune and the same thing happened.

Going to post in the other Phalanx thread for a quick answer(hopefully)!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:09 PM
Rob.D
Elder User
I erased the Phidget and I was able to get the tune to load! I then reinstalled the phidget/egt and everything seems to be working. I will try to load another tune at somepoint and see if the problem comes up again. I'd like to thank Mick from Spartan for his help and time on the phone

Old 07-30-2009, 08:37 AM
Rob.D
Elder User
All I can say is wow!! I was able to drive the truck last night after I got the ASE tune loaded at 10:00pm. It was literally my first experience with a tuned truck, an eye opener for sure. It was pitch black and there are a ton of deer in my area so I didn't get too crazy. The 4" straight pipe sure does bark now, holly cow! My wife heard me hammer down on it about 3/4 of a mile from the house. She chewed my ***, then I smiled.

Two quesitions however:

I was suprised at how extremely fast the EGT's came up to 1200F. I would then back off immediately. How does everyone recommend staying at these high temps?

Also how long does it take for the trans to relearn it's self after a new tune is installed. The shifts were very firm to say the least.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was suprised at how extremely fast the EGT's came up to 1200F. I would then back off immediately. How does everyone recommend staying at these high temps?
1250 is the general thought of temp as the point where you can keep it at those temps, but don't go higher for more then short bursts at a time.

Also how long does it take for the trans to relearn it's self after a new tune is installed. The shifts were very firm to say the least.
I usually try to give it 20 miles to do the re-learn. That is more conservative then most, but I'm also able to knock out 20 miles quicker then most in one time.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
I'll catch a lot of flamage over this comment, but 1200 isn't really that bad, especially in short bursts. The EGT's can climb very quickly but will fall just as quickly after you get to your desired speed or load. I know a LOT of trucks that see 1600-1700 at the track in less than a 1/4 mile and are daily driver work trucks. It's all about how LONG you keep it there.

The transmission shifting will "soften" over a period of days. Firm is actually a very good thing. I guess technically it's not as much firm as it is quick or abrupt. Ford tranny programming straight up sucks as it has to taylor to mawmaw and pawpaw also, many of who would loose their teeth at some of the firm shifts. I know Matt had a bone stock 5R110 that was programmed from almost new that he beat the socks off that survived a LONG time before it went down. I actually reflash my truck every so often just to firm the tranny shifting up since it learns out after a long period of time.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:57 AM
tex25025
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
many of who would loose their teeth at some of the firm shifts.
Try firm, very hard shifts with a clearance of .045 and see how your teeth are after that.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:35 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 69 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by tex25025
Try firm, very hard shifts with a clearance of .045 and see how your teeth are after that.
Clearance of .045 in what EW?