1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bar's Leaks Rear Main Seal Repair?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 11:53 AM
03PSDX
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Bar's Leaks Rear Main Seal Repair?

Hey Ya'll,
I just got an e-mail from powerblocktv where they are advertising Bar's Leaks Rear Main Seal Repair. I have a small/minor rear main seal leak. You know, just leaking enough to aggravate you whenever you change the oil or just look under the truck.

Has anyone used this product before and does it work?? One 32OZ bottle is supposed to treat 4 to 6 quarts of oil (any kind of oil, and for gas or diesel). If I were to try it, do you think it would hurt my 7.3 with 79K miles? And then would I use 3 bottles of the stuff (@ 4 quarts), or 2 (@ 6 quarts). I'm reaallyy skeptic about what I put in my Ex... I use rotella syn now and I'm due at 80K. Need advice from you veteran FTE members.

Here's the link to the page...
New Product Alert - February 19th, 2009

Old 02-20-2009, 12:01 PM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Before you start doing anything like that, you need to look a little closer at this. The rear seal on the 7.3 is very rare to go out. You need to look on top of the engine with a flash light in the valley for oil. The oil from the valley will drain out the back of the engine and run down to the inspection plate. I bet you will find oil in the valley, if you do let us know. Good luck.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:21 PM
cartmanea
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I would never use a stop leak additive, its just a bandaid that can cause problems elsewhere.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:21 PM
03PSDX
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's definitely the rear main seal. I had the ford techs tell me that with my CPS recall and then again by a very well respected mechanic here in Jax. I just replaced all of the O-rings on my fuel bowl too, and the valley is clean as a whistle. (easy off oven cleaner is the BOMB!)

I still have several weeks B4 the oil change. I'm just a perfectionist on my truck and HATE any kind of leak. If no one's heard good news about the stuff to share, I'll just keep wiping the area clean every 5K....

Bar's Leak cured a radiator leak I had on my old 92 F150... (I miss you Bubba!) Should of kept that truck!!

I was just hoping for the same results here but I wont use it unless I hear FTE members who've had success.... Thanks for the response Rick...

Old 02-20-2009, 01:26 PM
03_PSD
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wonder if is an oring on your turbo pedistal, like Rick said, 7.3's rarley leak at the rear main.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:31 PM
Badass_Forever
Junior User
have you ever seen what bars dose to an engine... its bad. very very bad.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:35 PM
03_PSD
Postmaster
personally i wouldn't put anything in the oil, i don't think the injectors wouldn't like it much....my 0.02

Old 02-20-2009, 01:39 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
don't do it. I would never dump anything in with the oil.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:54 PM
DAVE67FD
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I can't remember if it was Bars or not but i used a sealer similar to that on my old 150's power steering unit and it worked great for about 6 months then started to leak like a sieve.
Im sure the newer gasket materials are more withstanding than the old but i believe the theory is that it causes the gaskets to swell thus stoping the leak but it will also weaken it over time.

Old 02-20-2009, 05:50 PM
high ho silver
Posting Guru
powerblocktv may advertise it but they get paid to. Never use additives in the engine anywhere that is designed to stop a leak. It may stop the leak....along with the flow needed internally.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:25 PM
cparks
More Turbo
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Rear Main Seal

I am one of the people that actually developed that Bar's Leaks Rear Main Seal product along with being a PowerStroke owner myself. There are no particles in this product to plug a leak, like a radiator stop leak. It has a special seal swell additive which we worked on with Lubrizol that is specifically designed to not do anything to newer rear main seal materials, but will take older seals that have started to harden and shrunk, and make them soft and pliable again giving a few thousandths swell. What is really different about this product is the polymer we use that will even help if the seal is just worn or if there is a groove worn in the crankshaft. Though it can't stop them all, with the millions of bottles we have sold the past few years, consumers have had very good luck with this.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:26 PM
cparks
More Turbo
Originally Posted by high ho silver
powerblocktv may advertise it but they get paid to. Never use additives in the engine anywhere that is designed to stop a leak. It may stop the leak....along with the flow needed internally.
It will not change the flow in any oil passage inside the engine.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:29 PM
cparks
More Turbo
Originally Posted by DAVE67FD
I can't remember if it was Bars or not but i used a sealer similar to that on my old 150's power steering unit and it worked great for about 6 months then started to leak like a sieve.
Im sure the newer gasket materials are more withstanding than the old but i believe the theory is that it causes the gaskets to swell thus stoping the leak but it will also weaken it over time.
We have heard these type of issues with some of our competitors products. They will stop the leak and after a short period of time the leak comes back worse than ever. The issue is they don't use a good additive which has a controlled swell, but a cheap oil that swells all seal material and it keeps swelling. We have been in business since 1947 and put our reputation in every bottle we have.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:32 PM
cparks
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Badass_Forever
have you ever seen what bars dose to an engine... its bad. very very bad.
Can you please give me more information on this? We value our brand and reputation very much and would like to know what has happened to find a solution to why it happened if possible.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:56 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Subscribed

I wouldn't use it on a diesel that uses engine oil for the injectors. Too much can go wrong.

Just fix the rear main, or like others have already said, MAKE SURE you research what the problem really is, the 7.3 is known to be diagnosed as having a leaking rear main, and yet, it's somewhere else.

Quick Reply: Bar's Leaks Rear Main Seal Repair?