General Automotive Discussion

Tacoma vs Superduty

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 04:09 PM
dirtysouthcochran
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tacoma vs Superduty

my next truck i buy is hopefully going to be a 2001-2003, crew cab, v10,4x4,with less than 80k.now occasionally i will get on autotrader to search around and ill find a few for 12-14k here in the northwest ohio region.i would truly love to own one of these trucks.but i have also always loved the toyota tacoma 4x4 ext cab trucks that you always here of taking an *** whooping and going forever.just out of curiosity i searched 2001 to 2006 tacoma up to $12 less than 100k and there was 2 within a hundred miles.i know that these two trucks are comparing apples to oranges but cost wise and resale value it just amazes me how i can go out and buy a cc v10 for $13k,but someone else can go out and get a ext cab tacoma 4x4 2.7(?)4cyl with the same milage for the same price,this just amazes me how these little trucks hold there value and the cost.i would def prefer a v10 over a tacoma for the same price but,it just amazes me.

Old 02-14-2009, 08:03 PM
shorebird
Hotshot
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can not fool all of the people all of the time.
Abraham Lincoln, (attributed)
16th president of US (1809 - 1865)
Ford people are very hard to fool.

Old 02-14-2009, 09:35 PM
Octane
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyota hold their value really well because Toyota doesnt make more than they know they can sell (so there isnt a huge surplus of them and plenty of demand) and Toyotas have such a reputation for quality/reliability that people will pay more for them.
Be careful about those Tacomas though. The '05 and newer Tacomas have some pretty serious issues. Im a member on several Toyota forums, so I know a fair amount about these trucks.
For one, if you put more than 1,000 pounds in the bed of those trucks, the suspension bottoms out easily. Also, the 6-speed manual trannys are well known for the gear synchros going out after 100,000 miles and its not uncommon for the clutch throwout bearings to go every 50,000 miles.
Also, a lot of people with newer Tacomas compain about frame rust. These trucks have fully boxed frames, so that salt just collects inside the frame rails and after a couple years you start to see surface rust on the frames.
Ive owned Toyotas in the past, have owned Fords for the past 10 years and always said Id go back to a Toyota when my F-150 was due to be replaced, but Im not so sure anymore.
It seems like the newer Toyotas have just as many problems as everyone else does and they still cost more to buy and more to fix.
A friend of mine recently had to replace an ignition coil in his '00 Toyota Landcruiser. The coil cost him $90 and he had to wait a week for it to arrive. Ive had to replace a few coils on my '99 F-150 and they cost about $50 and they always had that part in stock at the local Napa, Autozone, Bumper To Bumper or Carquest.
Not to mention that Ford dealers have treated me way better than any Toyota dealer has. Ford dealers have always done almost whatever it takes to make a sale, whereas Toyota dealers act like they are doing you a favor merely letting you set foot on their lot and when you try to haggle with them on stick price, they act like you are insulting them and basically say the price on the sticker is the price you will pay, if you dont like it, walk.
Not that Im saying Toyota makes bad vehicles. They make great vehicles. However, Im not so sure that Toyota's quality/reliability is that much better than everyone else anymore. The domestics have done a lot to narrow the quality gap. There is a big difference between PERCIEVED quality and actual quality.
People will pay more for a Toyota because they think that quality is better and thats a large part of why the resale value is better.
Personally, if you use your truck for hauling stuff, Id go with the Super Duty. Its better to have more power and capability than you need than to be in a situation where you dont have enough truck to get the job done.
I went from a '99 Ranger (XLT, 4x4, Supercab, 4.0L V6; pretty much top of the line) to a '99 F-150 (4x4, XLT, regular cab, longbed, 5.4L V8) and Im not sure I could be happy with a compact/midsize truck. The fullsize has so much more power and capability and the gas milage is pretty much the same from a big truck to a little truck.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:22 PM
osbornk
Postmaster
Tacomas have a recall on rusty frames where they were either replacing frames or buying the trucks outright. If you want a truck that rides very rough, want to pay a premium for the truck and parts and want slightly better fuel mileage, you might consider the Tacoma. I've had the last little wheelbarrow truck I will ever get. I want a truck rather than a toy.

Old 02-15-2009, 05:42 PM
Rockledge
Post Fiend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
You can get a '00-'05 Ford Ranger (4x4, 4.0L, supercab, <100K) for around $7-8K here in my area and I would assume similar values can be found in your area. So why do you want to pay several thousand more for a comparable Tacoma?

Old 02-15-2009, 09:00 PM
Octane
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Rockledge
You can get a '00-'05 Ford Ranger (4x4, 4.0L, supercab, <100K) for around $7-8K here in my area and I would assume similar values can be found in your area. So why do you want to pay several thousand more for a comparable Tacoma?
Amen to that. Rangers are solid trucks that are every bit as good as any Tacoma, repair parts are readily available and inexpensive and you can buy Rangers for dirt cheap.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:31 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
The tacaoma is allright as long as you don't mind the frame rusting in half, "O WAIT", I think they may have fixed that problem.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:46 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Also tacoma's should hold thier resale value better as you pay more for them to begin with The best buy on a compact p/u on the market is the ford ranger as long as you don't have to have a crewcab. There tough and tried and true, there worked, raced, beat on, abused and commuted everyday across the land. I've owned 7 of the little beasts, they know no fear.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:40 AM
Noveske
Freshman User
I had an '05 Tacoma TRD dbl cab. I put 95K miles on it without any issues. It was a nice vehicle for a daily driver but it barely qualifies as a truck. If you plan on hauling anything heavy, stay away from the Tacoma. 500 lbs. in the bed and the rear would be lower than the front, bottoming out over bumps in the road. Not good. The tailgate on the newer Tacoma's is pathetic. It's max supported weight is 200 lbs. So overall it's a good vehicle, but it must be considered as very light duty.

Besides, my wife called it a "girly truck". I never recovered from that remark.

Old 02-16-2009, 11:15 AM
wendell borror
Post Fiend
Not to mention that the newer tacoma's are butt ugly, the olders ones looked pretty good.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:34 AM
dirtysouthcochran
Freshman User
wow this turned in good forum,i love the ext cab 4.0 rangers,the amount of power still amazes me the first time i drove one,i owned a 94 5spd 4.0 and it had 230 when the guy bought it off me sold it.i just noticed this never really had anyone to discuss it with.thanks for the input guys.

Old 02-17-2009, 10:52 AM
dirtysouthcochran
Freshman User
another thing that reall got me thinking about this is when i go on my yearly atv trip to west virginia,back in the hollers all you ever see is toyota tacomas and suzuki samuris,never a superduty,but i understand the size issue,but i always thought how expensive tacomas were and they were all over,but its a totally different lifestyle comparing nw ohio to appalachia.