1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

the stupid techtard questions about the electrical system thread ..............

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 02:12 PM
merten
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 55 f350
oh and merten be watching yer mail box i'll be sending the alternator and brackets yer way !! i remembered you wanted 'em but i can't remember my own phone number most of the time !!!!!
Hi Kevin, take your time, the way things are going with my '53 the more I work on it the further behind I get. I won't need the alternator for a while.

Old 02-04-2009, 03:35 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Julies Cool F1
You and Dave rewiring! Oh Jez!

Dave will get that squared away. I'm with you on the reliability thing. I want to do this once, and do it right then DRIVE the truck not constantly be fixing a "hanger queen."

My 55 had a generator and the battery was constantly going dead on me. It's one of the reasons I sold it (and now I kick myself). Believe it or not back then (late 80s), I knew NOTHING - NOTHING about electricity.

Let me know if you need anything when you plan to start your wiring.

J!

Oh sure,,, blame it on old Dave.

What's a "hanger queen"? Is that a Ford truck you keep with your Ford Trimotor ???

I don't know if people are aware of it or not but there are Ford alternators that have built in regulators. They have used them for some time now. They are not one wire though. The extra wiring going to them is for purposes of control and monitoring. This can easily be worked around if you find one that fits your needs and is of sufficeint current producing capability. However, I am a big fan of the GM one wire alternators because they are easily adapted to the older Ford engines. Another good thing is that you can get one for less than a hundred dollars with a lifetime warranty form Auto-Zone. I suggest going to a junkyard and finding a late model GM car with an Alternator that physically fits your requirements and buying it to use or as a core for the new one. A core at Auto-Zone will save you about $20.00. If nothing else you can use the indenity of the the vehicle the alternator is in when you go to Auto-Zone. I say that because they always ask what it is for. I have done it my way and told them I wanted to look at what they have but they don't really like that. Beware! sometimes you have to modify the mounting bracket. If you do be sure to get the belt alignment right. V-belts are a bit forgiving on that score but the flat micro-groove belts are not.

Later Folks...

Old 02-04-2009, 06:54 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
you know with bill aka no. dummy , julie , you dave , and a couple of others i dont have to look up squat on the net all i need to do is ask one of the guru's on here ...... oh and tj says he thinks , not 100 % positive , that mustang discs will fit your diff from the other thread of yours .

Old 02-04-2009, 08:55 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 55 f350
you know with bill aka no. dummy , julie , you dave , and a couple of others i dont have to look up squat on the net all i need to do is ask one of the guru's on here ...... oh and tj says he thinks , not 100 % positive , that mustang discs will fit your diff from the other thread of yours .
Thanks Kevin, I'll keep that in mind when the snow goes away.

Later Man...