1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

the stupid techtard questions about the electrical system thread ..............

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:18 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the stupid techtard questions about the electrical system thread ..............

what i need to know now guy's 'n' JULIE !! is this . i am taking two or three generators i have including the one original to the truck i was given at time of purchase , and going to have them looked at to see about 12 volt conversion. will the generator be able to keep up with , an electric fan of at least 2400 no more than 300 cfm , the electric fuel pump , and the remaining oe stuff and gauges ????? i really want to keep it just for the sheer h-ll of being different , and keeping it pretty much oe . my other alternative is the gm one wire alternator on it , but open the hood and it looks outta place on the flatty , a ford alternator and voltage regulator is another ,but again it's gonna look outta place on the flatty . i know and have looked at and decided against the alternators that look the part basically as i hear that they have a problem with overheating due to lack of airflow , and a short life span also because of this . as you all know this old girl gets DRIVEN ! , sometimes hard or worked hard but most often like the old and slow antique my grand babies think i and the truck are so it has to be dependable . i really wish to retain the look of the generator ..........

Old 02-02-2009, 09:14 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 618 Likes on 383 Posts
Get an alternator, re-winding the gen's cuts amperage to like 27 from 35

Old 02-02-2009, 09:43 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 474 Likes on 309 Posts
There are many vendors now selling alternators that are built inside a generator housing...best of both worlds.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:24 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Honestly, I'd have to agree with the alternator statements, and using a "one wire."
CharlieLed has a good point and you should be able to get one that looks "right."

There is another alternative though with your generator. It seems to me to be a lot of work, and the parts may not be available. But if your generators are 6V 35/40 amp generators, you could convert them to 60 amp (the 8BA-10002 - "C" variant), basically by changing the pulley, fan, mounting bolts/bracket and [heavier]wiring harness. In other words, make it run faster and produce more amps. If you are going to have it rewound for 12 volt, I might look into the expense of that vs just buying a 12 volt "C" varient already made up. This varient would definately push the things you are talking about.

Personally, I'd still go with the one wire alternator - just to get rid of the regulator and wiring.

Julie!

Old 02-03-2009, 02:59 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
well it's already got a one wire alternator on it , but i just dont care for the look when i pop the hood . and like i was saying charlie i knew of the ones you're talking about but have heard to many negative stories bout failures due to heat from lack of airflow over the internals . i knew there was a performance difference 'tween the two , and i may look into your suggestion julie , as an alternative . otherwise appears i may be stuck with the alternator eh . thanx guys gives me some more info to chew on while gathering .....

Old 02-03-2009, 01:26 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
any ideas where i might locate said parts for that c variant or a made up one as i'm not seeing anything in the catalogs yet ....................

Old 02-03-2009, 03:11 PM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 474 Likes on 309 Posts
Old 02-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 55 f350
any ideas where i might locate said parts for that c variant or a made up one as i'm not seeing anything in the catalogs yet ....................
If you have a "Chassis Parts Catalogue" for your truck, look up the number 10002. Those are the generators. One of them there (there are 3 variants 35; 40; and 60 amp; -A; -B; and -C respectively) will be one listed with a -C at the end and an asterisk. The footnote for the asterisk will direct you to a page in the catalogue that has a table specifically listing those parts to convert to a 60 amp -C generator for your engine type.

Or, you might go to NAPA and ask them if they have a 12 volt 60 amp generator for your truck. Also ask about a regulator!!!!!!!!!

But first, look at CharlieLeds link above - nice stuff!

J!

Edit Note: See HD74s note below. I thought it might be good for me to clarify what I said above. If you find a 60 amp 12V generator you will need to get a regulator rated for it.

The Alternator/generator look alikes already have the internal regulator ("one wire") and are rated at 75 amps - more than enough for what you need.

Electricity is SO confusing!

Old 02-03-2009, 06:27 PM
HD74
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got one coming on my French Flathead and I've checked around earlier today everybody is selling them for the same price about $369. The nice part about the GEN's you don't need a regulator.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:33 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
no regulator on a gen ?? you can see the chopped wiring and where the reg was on mine before the po put the alternator on . julie thanx i'll go visit napa , sometime ..... meeting myself coming and going on the new route !!!!!! if they're 369 like you say hd it might just be a bit as thats money i can use elsewhere on her and just live with the alternator for a bit more ........

Old 02-04-2009, 09:36 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
What is the easiest alternator to install on a yblock that I should install? I have asked this before and did not attempt it. This spring the 3 56s will get alternators and the 53 will after it gets 12 volt.
It has to be super easy or I won't do it......I am electrically challenged too.....LOL
Bill

Old 02-04-2009, 10:16 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
What is the easiest alternator to install on a yblock that I should install? I have asked this before and did not attempt it. This spring the 3 56s will get alternators and the 53 will after it gets 12 volt.
It has to be super easy or I won't do it......I am electrically challenged too.....LOL
Bill
Hey Bill,

Traditionally earlier Ford Alternators has an "external" voltage regulator. It screwed to the fire wall or the inner fender, and there was wiring that traveled between it and the alternator.

General Motors built their voltage regulators into the case of the unit itself so there was no external regulator or wiring - just a single wire that fed the electrical system (either the battery, or the power distribution busses). That is what folks are talking about when they say "GM style" alternator. With certain motifications to the mounting hardware, you can adapt these to the Ford engine.

There are some companies out there who are making GM Style (internal regulators) that are made in the Ford Alternator cases so you don't need a regulator or to make those adaptations.

On my truck I have a nice Chrome "One wire" (no regulator) 75 amp alternator that fit right on my 390. It got rid of all that ugly wiring to the regulator on the firewall. It was easy to install, had very clear instructions, there service pro's were very helpful, and cost about $125.

I got it from a company called "Tuff Stuff" and I am very pleased with it from A t Z.

Here is the link to "Tuff Stuff"

If you don't see the right application, call them up - I think they will make you one up!

Ford :: Alternators :: Products :: Tuff Stuff Performance

Best!
Julie

Old 02-04-2009, 10:22 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
awesome!! Thanks J.
I will be rewiring about 4 trucks this year,and think Dave Boley is up for the challenge.
I want to pitch these gennies and go dependability. I think folks with more mech.background want to get out of their trucks and fix em----but I want to have dependability. Thanks and willdo!!

Old 02-04-2009, 11:10 AM
Julies Cool F1
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by WALFORD'S 56
awesome!! Thanks J.
I will be rewiring about 4 trucks this year,and think Dave Boley is up for the challenge.
I want to pitch these gennies and go dependability. I think folks with more mech.background want to get out of their trucks and fix em----but I want to have dependability. Thanks and willdo!!
You and Dave rewiring! Oh Jez!

Dave will get that squared away. I'm with you on the reliability thing. I want to do this once, and do it right then DRIVE the truck not constantly be fixing a "hanger queen."

My 55 had a generator and the battery was constantly going dead on me. It's one of the reasons I sold it (and now I kick myself). Believe it or not back then (late 80s), I knew NOTHING - NOTHING about electricity.

Let me know if you need anything when you plan to start your wiring.

J!

Old 02-04-2009, 01:54 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
yep tha answer queen beat me to it bill . the gm is easy . the po had mine wired all screwy and had it charging the whole system, but with bud's help figured that out and he showed me what to do . on the alternator a " jumper " from the feild tab to where the main wire hooks up then i beleive it was 8 gauge wire to the solenoid and walla !!!!!! it was so easy this wiring moron could do it ................ . as a side note i checked out after finding the parts to convert the gen to c variant { damn that sounds so technical and makes me sound edumakated !!} and the 12 volt conversion , and talked to the powergen peeps first hand about the stories of failures . needless to say i will be putting up with the one wire a bit longer till i get the scratch for their goodies !! oh and merten be watching yer mail box i'll be sending the alternator and brackets yer way !! i remembered you wanted 'em but i can't remember my own phone number most of the time !!!!!