6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Is there any solutions?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 07:55 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
My Vote would be to install the coolant filter now while your components are fresh and free of debris. Do this and dont look back and know that you added to the reliabilty of your truck.

Luckily you found a dealer that fixed it for you before the warranty was up.

Most of those people that trade to Chevy or Dodge will have problems too. Most of the bad rep. was given to the 6.0 because of incompetent techs throwing parts at the trucks, some of it was Fords fault too. The relaeaed the 6.0 too early. I had a bad 6.0 in my 04, it was bought back and now I hav emy 06 and I love it. Wouldnt drive anything else.

I worked for a GM dealer and heard and seen all the 6.0's get traded in on the duramax back in 03-05 and those trucks werent any better. Plus the 2500 and 3500 GM trucks werent really heavy enough. I replaced so many front diffs. from the mounting tabs being broken off from plowing it was rediculous...thats just 1 example.

All in all I think the SD is really the only true "Truck" on the road anymore.

Just my .02

Sarge

Old 02-01-2009, 08:57 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Received 2,492 Likes on 1,729 Posts
First - I agree w/ getting a coolant filter - never too late. Exiled - In either of these two parts change-outs did they do a coolant system flush - or at least drain/replace? If not, this may be advisable. You didn't really describe your problems in the original post. Could you do so?

Next - While it is very dissapointing that we have to mess w/ the EGR system, Ford has been very good about replacing the parts under warranty. How can we complain too much about that? It is sad that corporate America is cutting costs and quality to the edge. I see it in my company as well. It seems it is everywhere. Eventually this practice causes problems - usually worse ones than could have been avoided to begin with. I do not think Ford is any worse off than the American competition - probably better off. I can not comment on the J3 (Japanese 3). I do wish that one of the Big 3 would make a heavy duty performance package that was extremely reliable - it just doesn't seem that any of them do. The highly touted 7.3's had their issues (I have one that I also love) and the later model 6.0's seem to be doing pretty well. However - there are still the exceptions. The government also plays a huge role in this with all the regulations that force constant change. This is where I think we need to fight - we are one of the most "environment friendly" countries in the world. What does it benefit to drive all of our industry to China and India where the global pollution billows out?

I personally am very pleased w/ my 2006. Clearly there are many trucks on the road that are problem free. This leads me to conclude the design is good, just the quality control is lacking (and/or many are not robust enough to perform except under very strict maintenance programs). I wish Ford would have gotten it "right" w/ the EGR system and the head bolts, but they are doing a TON of warranty work. Some folks are even getting studs put in for free labor - this is a HUGE freebie IMO.

I am just extremely thankful for this site and all the things I have learned so that I have the best chance at trouble free miles. I am not foolish enough to believe it is guaranteed, but I am not worrying over it either. In the meantime, I really am enjoying driving this truck!

I am also enjoying the football game!!!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:03 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I agree guys.The 6.0 has cooling problems for sure. The casting sand and block heater/coolant relationship both seem to be issues that are solved with a coolant filter. Block heater coolant relationship you say..I read a post a couple years ago that was written by a International tech or engineer that stated he had been at a meeting that discussed a problem with block heater metal and coolant compatibly.This caused a reaction that caused flakes in the coolant.....It turns out International has a retro-fit coolant filter built for trucks built before some point in 06....On top of that there is no part number on the kit...Hummmmm

Old 02-01-2009, 09:04 PM
bismic
Fleet Owner
Exiled - never mind on posting the symptoms. I just read them on amother post. Clearly you had EGR and oil cooler issues. Hopefully w/ a coolant filter and new coolers, you will be good-to-go!!

Old 02-01-2009, 09:28 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by brickie
.....It turns out International has a retro-fit coolant filter built for trucks built before some point in 06....On top of that there is no part number on the kit...Hummmmm
Oh there are part numbers for the kits, I have them both. Its just that its part of an "Uptime Campaign", they are not for sale and you can't get them without an effected vehicle VIN.

The cut off date; "Units (VT365s) built after 1-9-06 did not come with or need coolant filters."

Old 02-01-2009, 09:38 PM
brickie
Cargo Master
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
Thanks for the info.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:01 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
For kicks here are the International part numbers for the filter retrofit kits. Even if they would sell you one which AFAIK they won't, they would be of little use to Ford 6.0 owners.

"This campaign was covered under Uptime in summer of 2007. Part # for water filter kit is 2590315C91 (without air compressor), part # 2590314C91 (with air compressor)."

Old 02-02-2009, 10:02 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by bismic
Exiled - never mind on posting the symptoms. I just read them on amother post. Clearly you had EGR and oil cooler issues. Hopefully w/ a coolant filter and new coolers, you will be good-to-go!!
Yea sorry brother for not jotting down the systoms. I did'nt want the thread to turn into a problem dynastics thread, but rather answers to my question, which yall did very well I might add. Thanks for your very easy to understand spin on the problem and a very fesable solution. Makes me wonder why Ford doest install a coolant filter on the truck when it replaces the coolers. Kinda seems like that would be a cheaper router than replacing them again. Mine was replace 2ce is less than 3 years.
Oh I love my truck. It'll pull the green out of a john deere tractor. The problems dont bother me much either, its the fact that they dont seem to have a fix. It looks like their solution is just to trade parts untell warranty runs out then its out of their hair. Which most 04's is coming close to being ran out. There might be a few left.
Yes both times the system was flushed and this time the gas bottle was replaced from the get go.

Last edited by exiled; 02-02-2009 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Text added
Old 02-02-2009, 10:43 PM
mackman
Senior User
Sounds like what was called "cavitation corosion" only happened when coolant filter not replaced regularly. Have seen it eat through wet type cylinder liners.All caused by the coolant boiling on the thrust and anty thrust side of the liner (those little air bubbles).So who makes a coolant filter for the 6.0 ?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:15 AM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
There are several people offering the coolant filter. There are options, some of us buy the kit others build there own. I like having it all layed out for me and the install is super simple.

I think more of the issues with the cooling systems on these trucks had to do with the casting sand left behind. I bought my filter from Diesel Site and it was like 119.00 shipped and the guys over there are super great to work with.

Exiled, I feel for you but I am glad that you still happy with your truck. It seems that most people have a problem and there ready to go to another manufacturer. Way to stick with it. Get the filter and be happier.

Sarge

Old 02-04-2009, 10:36 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by BPofMD
Best advice it to drive it like you stole it!! If you baby it, you'll crud it up. If you are in town a lot, drive it in the tow/haul mode. That'll keep the rpm's up anyway.
My truck must be setup different cause the RPMs doesnt run any higher in tow or not. Now my 1/2 tons did cause it locked out overdrive. I run my truck in tow/haul every where cause I like the engine brake. I dont know about in ya'lls area but in mine, people dont have respect any more for others. Just today a guy in a Ford Taurus waited untell I got with-in spitting range of him then pulled out in front of me. Dont know if anybody has noticed, but this trucks dont just stop or change direction real fast. Right after the chrismas break, I went and picked my daughter up from school, and a teacher reading a paper looked up at me approaching looked back down at her paper and walked out in front of me and never looked back up. This was,nt even at a crosswalk.
Sarge and Bismic thanks brothers for the enlightment. Sarge I know what ya mean about te cut tail. A buddy of mine had his turbo go out last july on his 04 SD. Of course replaced for $100 under warranty. Now all he has done to this truck since 03 was change oil and drive it. He did'nt even change the fuel filter. Beginning of december he wasdriving down the road and his trans temp gauge hand just dropped to C. Now the trans had no problems shifting or anything for the next 50 miles. Next day he drives 30 miles to a chevy dealer and no problems on the way just the temp hand on the C. He trades for a 1/2 ton silverado. A friend of ours runs up there the next day and begs and buys the drive for $340 more than they bought it for. It took it home changed both filters and fluid and dang it it was just that the sending unit had came loose. My buddy spends monday thru wenesday complain about that chevy and how it hauls. THen thursday and friday we have listen to him talk about how he's going to jack it up in the air. Theres no way I'm going back to a 1/2 ton truck or a chevy for that matter. WAy to many chevy and dodge 1 ton owners tell me I over load my trailer. That they would'nt try that with their truck. All I got to say bout that is if you cant run with the tougher puppies then get back under porch with your mommy.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:03 PM
Sarge261
Logistics Pro
Your Welcome,

Just stick with it and we will gladly spend some of your money and make your truck more dependable. Good job in not switching to a chevy or a dodge, and I feel sorry for your friend. My F-150 was a great truck but I didnt feel comfortable towing the GN with it. Plus I could pass everything but a gas station. When I wasnt towing that was such a plush smooth powerful truck...but it aint no SD.

Sarge

Old 02-05-2009, 11:42 PM
exiled
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Sarge261
Your Welcome,
I've been reading. Call me crazy but there does'nt seem to be any evidence that the coolant filter saves the coolers. I'm not saying I think yall are wrong or yall dont know what yall are talking about. I had made my mind up on installing one this weekend or next. Was'nt sure what kit or build my own. So I've researched. If I understand what I read the filter could actually cause the problem. Is this true? This is driving me crazy Theres no simple road to take.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:12 AM
bismic
Fleet Owner
The filter is a bypass filter using the heater core flow path. The only way it could actually CAUSE problems is if you use the wrong filter. DO NOT use a "charged" filter. The charged filter contains supplemental additives that will cause solids to form and makes the problem worse.

Take a look in my gallery - I have pictures of the solids that I filtered out. The solids were hard and analysed as silica. Clearly pumping hard sand particles around your coolant system will damage it AND possibly plug it up. Removing the solids with a bypass filter could NEVER cause problems.

Keep one thing in mind - when you do something to prevent a problem, how do you PROVE it worked? Only time will tell.

Yes, some people with coolant filters seem to still have plugged oil coolers, but I have only seen a few posts along these lines. Those folks may have not installed them early enough - who knows. As I said it is a bypass filter - it will not remove the solids quickly. It takes at least 3 or 4 filter changes over 4-5 thousand miles (my experience anyway). Also - the solids seem to be slowly sloughed off of the block walls. You filter out a lot at first, but every filter change I have done has some solids.

Also - I have a feeling that some folks have mixed coolants (green type w/ gold type, etc) or add SCA's (supplemental coolant additives) which makes things worse.

Post some links to the threads that indicate that the filter could cause a problem. I have not ever read one. The decision is really a fairly easy one - no harm, only potential benefits. If you install one "late in life" and you have a cooler plug - oh well. At worst, you are cleaning the system so the second cooler won't plug up also. As far as which one ....... Get the full kit (unless you just like designing and installing your own systems). It is not that much more money than buying all the individual parts and doing it yourself.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 AM
exiled
Posting Guru
[quote=bismic;7106036]Keep one thing in mind - when you do something to prevent a problem, how do you PROVE it worked? Only time will tell.[quote]
I know what your getting at. I agree.
I just got back from the dealership that did the work. I sat down and asked about the filter. The guy I talked to is the desk jocky but he was the diesel mechic for a long time. He thinks a coolant filter is a great idea. He really does'nt like the by-pass filter types. I see his point. Alot of the gunk that cloggs the coolers does'nt make it out to the heater core. If it did you'd have sand in the bottom of your d-gas bottle. He thinks it should be filter on the system in front of the coolers instead behind them. We went over the problems the coolant filter could cause. If I'm understanding right the filtering can restrict the flow and can in effect do the exact same thing the sand is doing. I asked for a real world figure of the likely hood of this happening and he told me from what he knows about the 6.0L plumbing the chance is very null. However he has family working over at the IH plant in huntsville where the 6.0L was built. They told him in late 05-mid 07 they tested filters on the 6.0L and found that the chances the filters caused flow problems where fairly great. THe filters that where pre-coolers slowed down the flow leaving the block letting it to run hotter. Post filters let the coolers run hot. Its suppose to be IH's stand that the sand makes up a small part of the filter clogs, but rather the most is caused by the wrong coolant or scas added. I know this cant be the whole cause mine never had scas added and the only coolant added to mine was by Ford.
Whatever. I have 97,000 miles on my truck and its had the coolers changed 2ce. So I take it my system is prone to clog so I'm going to use a coolant filter. It cant hurt me at this point. I know the filters filter stuff{alot} out of the system so I'll try it.

Quick Reply: Is there any solutions?