1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

do you like it on top, on the bottom or butt welded

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 07:26 AM
rdemilt
Elder User
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
do you like it on top, on the bottom or butt welded

When welding in patch panels do you guys prefer to lay the patch panel on top, slid underneath or butt welded to the original metal. I have a step down flanging tool so I have all the options covered.

Thanks,
Rick

Old 01-19-2009, 08:18 AM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you lap the metal you are leaving it susceptible to rust in the joint. Butt welding in my opinion is a better option and what I always use. However, I have used the lapped joint when using panel adhesive and the adhesive fills the joint so you don't have to worry about rust.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:46 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
"do you like it on top, on the bottom or butt welded"

Oh, never mind... This is about welding ???

Old 01-19-2009, 08:48 AM
80F100man
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's hard to tell this is about welding from the title

Old 01-19-2009, 08:49 AM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
If you haven't got any, get you a set of butt weld clamps. They will most the time come in a set of four. they will set the metal about 0.04 apart. They can found a lot of times on EBay for around 15 dollars a set.

Old 01-19-2009, 08:50 AM
Randy Jack
Postmaster

I almost always prefer butt welding patch panels. It makes the filler easier and minimum thickness.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:11 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I do either, which ever way I feel like doing at the time. If I overlap the patch I try to seal the back side with a paintable siliconized caulk.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:28 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 80F100man
It's hard to tell this is about welding from the title
You want a good laugh??? Do a Google sesrch on this title...

Old 01-19-2009, 10:55 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
On the serious side...

I couldn't resist a little humours poke at the choice of words in the thread title in my previous post, but this time I'll try to be serious. I did a little Google search using the thread title and apart form the un-related but obvious results I expected, I did run into a thread from another Forum and found this:

How much of a gap for butt welding quarter panels? - <B>Autobodystore Forums

I thought it was interesting and applicable to this thread. I'm thinking seriously about becoming a member over there too. I think it wouild be helpfull to novices and experts alike. If any of you folks know about or take a look at this forum let us know what you think.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread here, I just though it was a way to expand on it.

Later Folks...

Old 01-19-2009, 11:26 AM
3golfjack
Laughing Gas

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dave boley
I couldn't resist a little humours poke at the choice of words in the thread title in my previous post, but this time I'll try to be serious. I did a little Google search using the thread title and apart form the un-related but obvious results I expected, I did run into a thread from another Forum and found this:

How much of a gap for butt welding quarter panels? - Autobodystore Forums

I thought it was interesting and applicable to this thread. I'm thinking seriously about becoming a member over there too. I think it wouild be helpfull to novices and experts alike. If any of you folks know about or take a look at this forum let us know what you think.

I'm not trying to hijack the thread here, I just though it was a way to expand on it.

Later Folks...
Boy after reading that from Autobodystore Forums they had a good going over of the subject of butt welding. They had the heat going even when the welder was off. Had a lot of pro and cons which show how these forums are helpful.
Ps. wonder what turned the wording blue

Old 01-19-2009, 11:34 AM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i always butt weld cuz when i get done i dont want it to look like a patch i want it to look like its spose to if only my body skills were that good. On the subject of metal working forums check out metalmeet.com its set up a lot like FTE and ppl are real friendly and know how to beat on steel. Im a member over there and its very useful and i have learned a ton about body work from the guys over there.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:55 PM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 3golfjack
Boy after reading that from Autobodystore Forums they had a good going over of the subject of butt welding. They had the heat going even when the welder was off. Had a lot of pro and cons which show how these forums are helpful.
Ps. wonder what turned the wording blue
Yeah, I noticed the same. They are a lot like some guys on a welding forum I belong to. Some guys just don't play well with others I guess. About the blue thing,,, I just tried to copy and paste and it did that to me from the auot body forum. I tried to get rid of it with an edit and I had no luck. I do think if you can get past the superiority attitudes you can pick up on some good stuff over there. I guess it's the cost of an education...

Later Man...

Old 01-19-2009, 06:54 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
well i would post a link to metalmeet.com but don't know how lol. cuz me and computers dont speak the same language. lol.

Old 01-19-2009, 06:56 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
well i would post a link to metalmeet.com but i dont know how. can someone help me out. if you want to learn how to do metal work with out big attitudes check it out lol.

Old 01-19-2009, 07:04 PM
reg1952
Senior User
As far as the question goes I like all three. But as far as welding goes I was dreading having to do my patchs on my fenders because of welding such thin metal. Within 5 mins of practice its now a peice of cake. I discovered this past weekend that the colder it is in the shop the less burn thought proplems I had.I butt jointed all mine and they turned out pretty good. I used a piece of flattened out copper pipe to help take some of the heat away. But like I said when it -15c in the shop burn though was not a proplem.