1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Will Anyone Give Me Some Input

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 10:09 PM
Tommy_Mills
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will Anyone Give Me Some Input

Just Want To Know How People Feel About Swaping My 292 V8 For A 12v Cummins In My 1960 F500. I Havent Started The Project Yet, But I Would Like To Know What People Think. Would It Be A Head Turner Or Not?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:18 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 608 Likes on 378 Posts
Whatever blows your skirt... I saw you're a diesel mechanic, so it might make sense that way. How much does the Cummins weigh?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:21 PM
Tommy_Mills
Junior User
Im Not Sure. I Would Have To Check. Why Does This Concern You?

Old 01-18-2009, 10:41 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
If the diesel weighs twice as much as the 292 your truck is going to nose dive into the ground, or very least make for some interesting handling. These old trucks weren't made to be heavy hauler in the front. You might have to stub a heavier frame in the front or at least do some upgrading of the suspension.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:46 AM
WALFORD'S 56
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Soon as the wife gets home--she will post a picture of the diesel 56 we have. It isn't done but engine is in and it ran. International diesel.
Bill--suppose to be a cummings--but my buddy used the international....I am no diesel mechanic...haha!!

Old 01-19-2009, 10:33 AM
dmptrkr
Senior User
Search this forum and perhaps the 61-66 forum and others for "Cummins" and you will find some good information. Here's a thread I would recommend:

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...onversion.html

Be sure to check out rustyrelic's gallery for some excellent pictures.

With an F500 I don't think the engine weight is going to be a problem but the physical size of the engine is a challenge. Also, as you are probably aware, you will need to figure out how to gear the drive line high enough for the lower speed of a diesel.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:18 AM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey if your gunna work it all day long everyday go for the cummins. they are really good motors in my book only one better is cat as far as diesel is concerned IMO. You will have to make some modifications to make it work as far as possible beefing up the front springs, and regearing it. I would suggest swappin in a newer trans thats mated to a cummins preferably with overdrive. the old 292 would be neat in there but so would a cummins so do what you want not what we tell you to.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:41 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
well as some have pointed out we got a couple doing it now . it's just like any swap , lots of work but who cares as the reward / payoff in the end of having a truly unique truck will be readily apparent . otherwords little less talk , more action !!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:46 PM
59flatbedford
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yea as far as your truck being a head turner yes it will no matter what engine is in it. for one its big for two its old those to combined will make ppl look at it. car ppl will say hey look at that cool old truck, non car ppl holy crap what the h*** is that.lol.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
Tommy_Mills
Junior User
I am going to take pictures tomorrow. It will take me some time to figure out how to get them on the site so that everyone can see them, but it will be cool to see the before, during, and after pictures. As far as the tranny goes. I already have that. Its an NV4500 out of a 98 dodge, 5th gear already has the nut conversion so it wont end up in the bottom of the tranny. the worst thing I think I am going to run into is getting the inter-cooler in with out having to do any outer grille modifications. If anyone can turn me on to some parts sites, or catalogs that will give me reproduction parts for the old girl I would greatly appreciate it. Oh yeah it already has a stock hyd. clutch master cylinder which I thought was kinda odd, but definatley speeds the tranny swap up a bit.

Old 01-20-2009, 06:18 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Tommy, with enough time, money and common sence, anything is possible. I only seem to be able to have one of those at any given time. That said, If I had the engine, and the ability to doe the required frame and suspension mods, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Can't wait to see how you make out and would love to see some video of that thing blistering the tires off. The 12v Cummins (v for valves) has a lot better fuel economy than the newer 24v engines. If you would like to talk mods on these let me know as I do have some experience in that department.

I had the 24v cummins in my 04 Dodge and with a programmer, some engine and tranny mods that thing would put you through the seat. The torque and sound would make for a fun ride, just pay close attention to your suspension requirements.

I seen a video a while back on Utube where someone had one in a 30's pickup and that thing was sweet. All I can say is wooooohooooo!!!!! I gotta find you a special cookie for that one.

Anybody seen Ben, Ben Dover???

Old 01-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Tommy_Mills
Junior User
Kusto please fill me in on all of your modification tips on the 12v. I do know basic things about what to do, but have never been involved with anyone doing it, I have always been some where else while they did it, and only seen what the after math is. I do have a P-pump on the 12v so let me know anything you know.

Old 01-20-2009, 10:18 PM
scottm1
Senior User
I put a 5.9 Cummins in my 48 Ford coe.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:40 AM
dave boley
Posting Guru
Just do it...

Hi Tommy,
There are two ways to take all that you read here. One is to accept it with a defeatist attitude and scrap the project before youn start. the second, which I prefer, is to read everything and look at each negative post as a learning point and endeavor to correct or work around it. As long as you are willing to do what it takes to do it right then you ought to be able to do anything. Forty years ago I saw an Allison V-12 in a Panel style bodied VW Microbus. There, see, now your idea doesn't seem so far fetched and difficult does it? Don't hesitate to enlist the help and advice of those close to you that do this sort of stuff. A project like you are contemplating is starting to reach beyond the scope of this particular forum. In other words, the expertise you seek may be beyond the experience you will find here. I'm not saying that is an absolute, but it sure is a possibility.

I am reminded of a quote but I can't remember who said it. Basically it goes, "Do the thing and then you will know." Good luck and keep us posted.

Later Man...

Old 01-21-2009, 01:04 PM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Tommy,

Let me gather up some of my resources and maybe shoot me a PM with your email address so I can forward you a bunch of info and reference material. I too agree with Dave in that "The only thing that can't be done, is that which is not attempted". And since we're doing quotes..... this reminds me of a Simpson's episode where the hippie parents told Homer "We're all outta options and we ain't tried nothing yet". I'll try and find that link to the video I had mentioned in my previous post.

Later,

Nick